Author Topic: The Awesome Thread  (Read 255256 times)

Offline alaeh

Re: The Awesome Thread
« Reply #2000 on: July 07, 2021, 04:12:19 PM »
Finally the ability to partition a single GPU across multiple VMs/Containers is now available and for FREE ... This feature was only previously available on Tesla based GPUs via NVIDIA Grid which requires you to purchase an enterprise license.

Now you can share 1 GPU for across multiple VMs for say Plex Transcoding, Remote Gaming Server via Parsec, or just a graphics accelerated remote workstation also via ParSec.

This feature is already free to use on Win 10 Pro via Hyper-V :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrOoeMxzu0[/size]

Online lahar

« Reply #2001 on: July 16, 2021, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2002 on: July 16, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
That's crazy! Not even EPYC with 8-channel RAM has enough bandwidth to handle the incoming stream.

Just the doing the send/receive will require a supercomputer of some sort.
Small pedantic rant: After reading the articles, the "B" in Tb should be lowercase.
fhtagn

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2003 on: July 16, 2021, 10:12:54 PM »
LG C1 OLED response time at 120Hz

Response time across all zones are in the 1ms range with fucking ZERO overshoot! Hands down the BEST gaming monitor out right now.

Source: HUB review.
fhtagn

Offline dom_08

• Moderators
  • Dom Dycaico
« Reply #2004 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »
LG C1 OLED response time at 120Hz

Response time across all zones are in the 1ms range with fucking ZERO overshoot! Hands down the BEST gaming monitor out right now.

Source: HUB review.

tempting :'(
pero i have no where to place my current 50" TCL TV, have no problems with it hahaha

Online lahar

« Reply #2005 on: July 26, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »
Congrats to Hidilyn Diaz, Philippines first Olympic gold medal!

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #2006 on: July 27, 2021, 08:11:46 AM »
^walang video noong full event?
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Online lahar

« Reply #2007 on: August 03, 2021, 06:18:06 AM »

Offline altec

« Reply #2008 on: August 05, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2009 on: August 07, 2021, 01:46:22 AM »
This is amazing stuff. Starts off slow and I was about to tune out, and then he starts to explain why they call their stuff "4D" and into the rabbit hole we go.

What Can Intelligent Materials Do? - with Skylar Tibbits | The Royal Institution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MsNjNeRFMY
fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #2010 on: August 09, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
The amazing and scary power of makeup. Mala "red dragon" movie- Human form, changing, reborn!

Cabin crew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlfUyUpbdcg

Influencer:
https://youtu.be/r_BRF5kRkg0?t=254
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #2011 on: August 10, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
The amazing and scary power of makeup. Mala "red dragon" movie- Human form, changing, reborn!

Cabin crew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlfUyUpbdcg

Influencer:
https://youtu.be/r_BRF5kRkg0?t=254

CREEPY
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline alaeh

« Reply #2012 on: August 12, 2021, 03:27:26 AM »
So I bought a couple of Intel DC 480GB MLC SSDs back in April for relatively cheap from a local reseller
so I could start replacing the consumer SSDs which were wearing out crazy fast on my Proxmox/FreeNAS/Plex server.
I was skeptical at first as these were being falsely advertised as new but were in fact "refurbished" when I
got them as mine had already logged in little over 20000 hours with 2% wearout.

Anyway I wasn't particularly miffed as long as these were still covered by Intel's Enterprise warranty and
which I confirmed they were so I actually bought 6 more afterwards. LOL.

Fast forward to last weekend, one of the Intel drives in service suddenly became unavailable. I think it died mostly
due to heat, being placed too close to the GPU, more than actual wear since upon checking the proxmox logs it kept
on reporting this particular drive as always reaching mid 60C while the other one was normal.

Although I've read about Intel's legendary reputation when it comes down to customer support in the Enterprise space
on STH and reddit, I haven't personally experienced it myself so either this was going to be a total boss move or
I was going to look like a fool for purchasing a bunch of second hand enterprise hardware.

I figured that I should just wing it and file an RMA using only the serial number and some screenshots
to prove that the drive was actually dead. I didnt have any receipt nor legal proofs of purchase that I was the
original owner of the drives as these technically second hand. 

In less than 2 days, not only did I get approved RMA with no further questions asked but Intel did all legwork ie
shipping labels and went as far as applying for the OMB permit themselves on my behalf. Talk about VIP treatment.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2013 on: August 12, 2021, 03:47:12 AM »
^ That's super cool. I wonder if their consumer drives get the same VIP treatment.
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #2014 on: August 12, 2021, 11:10:29 AM »
Nice. I've had good direct-to-manufacturer RMA experiences with Seagate, WD and Corsair myself.

Offline alaeh

« Reply #2015 on: August 12, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
@splerdu,

I actually have Intel 545s that are heavily worn out but still alive so I haven't filed a claim for these yet. below are the drives which I have managed to wear out a little over 2 years now. These are mostly 120-128GB in capacity. Proxmox should be called SSD killers. I haven't figured out a way to reduce logging in proxmox but if anyone knows let me know how.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2016 on: August 12, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »
lol Proxmox is an SSD killer talaga. Doesn't help that the staff/devs are assholes on their forums whenever someone points that out (proxmox killing SSDs). A few versions back someone suggested stopping certain services.

I suggest installing it on an MLC drive, or use something like a RAMdrive with timed asynchronous saves to disk. You'll obviously want UPS protection if considering the second option.
fhtagn

Offline alaeh

« Reply #2017 on: August 12, 2021, 04:25:19 PM »
@splerdu,

Yep, the refurb'd Intel DC SSDs that I got are all MLCs. It is the S3520 line (480GB).  I've pretty much gone the refurb route these days unless I can get them brand new and for a great deal and prefer Intel when possible. Too bad Intel is moving away from the SSD business.

Here's a full list of my Intel DC SSD collection so far.
1 x Intel DC SSD P3700 800GB (refurb)
8 x Intel DC SSD S3520 480GB (refurb)
2 x Intel DC SSD P4500 2TB (HPE OEM; new old stock)
1 x Intel Optane 900p 280GB (retail :-( )

The P4500 2TB drives were an absolute steal as I got them for $40 less than the cheapest 2TB NVME consumer drive you can find in PCHub. Wish I've gotten at least 2 more just to hoard. lol. :-)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2018 on: August 15, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
So we've gotten used to those vids of people playing a bunch of different instruments and mixing the clips together into one full song... Well none of that easy mode stuff for this guy!

Zelda Ocarina of Time Title Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xVU4FcT1_w
fhtagn

Offline dom_08

• Moderators
  • Dom Dycaico
« Reply #2019 on: August 16, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
Nice. I've had good direct-to-manufacturer RMA experiences with Seagate, WD and Corsair myself.
i guess the keyphrase here is DIRECT-TO-MANUFACTURER.

now where can we buy these bargain intel enterprise SSDs? :D :D :D