Author Topic: Perpetual Car Thread  (Read 786872 times)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: Perpetual Car Thread
« Reply #7240 on: April 26, 2022, 06:20:33 PM »
I remember back in 2008 when gas prices hit P60+/L there was an appreciable improvement in traffic (coupled with MMDA's heightened operations against colorum vehicles). But it seems no improvement is occurring even at almost P80/L now. Must be the COVID situation, people still wary of public transport.

IIRC gas prices went as high as P65/li back then. Inflation calculator says that's equivalent to P101.53/li in 2020, so it was even worse than P80/li gas today.

And yea, COVID definitely a factor.

Also traffic is still better now than it was pre-pandemic. Moving the buses into the center island and caging them in was a big improvement. IMO a lot of the slowdown in EDSA was caused by buses having a whole two lanes to themselves, and when they pull out of stations still eating up the third lane forcing already packed cars to slow down.
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #7241 on: April 27, 2022, 04:13:16 AM »
Another reason I see is that routes have changed. Buses plying Commonwealth Ave only reach up to East Ave and have to turn around back to Fairview. And then I noticed sparse jeepneys plying Commonwealth. According to our janitor, there are none forcing commuters to run after sparse UV expresses and busses.

Offline lahar

« Reply #7242 on: May 01, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »
Seaoil has a Labor Day discount of P5/L and P2/L on gas and diesel today.

Offline altec

« Reply #7243 on: May 06, 2022, 11:27:58 AM »
My daily driver is a crossover. Nothing wrong with it but i can't accuse of it being peppy.

I got to drive a sedan yesterday- it's been years- and wow! I guess the car wants to run in slex speeds since it's not shaped like a boat or an advertisement banner. Like a missile. So enjoyable.
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #7244 on: May 06, 2022, 03:01:59 PM »
TIL that Engineering Explained did some pretty in-depth testing of aftermarket air filters, comparing to dirty and clean (brand new) stock paper filters with dyno and gps-verified acceleration results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS69owXpGdY
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #7245 on: May 07, 2022, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #7246 on: June 10, 2022, 05:48:08 PM »
Some Konami code shit to turn the alarm answer-back feature on or off if you have a 2015 Innova:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LD_vbACq6U
fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #7247 on: June 10, 2022, 06:15:29 PM »
I've been watching a few local car-centric youtube channels. It's not much of an improvement from tv, newsprint, or even website articles of yore. This x model of brand y has a very quiet cabin. Quieter than what?!?! Compared to what? And they practically say that to Every. Thing. Every. Time. There's no tepid or even read between the lines hints.

Sabagay, they can't be that objective nor rock the boat if they still want to be invited in the next press junket. It still annoys the heck out of me even if i'm here sitting in a franchise resto sipping my "delicious, cold" (said by the waiter) iced tea. The art of saying everything and anything and nothing all at the same time.

GRRRRRR.

There are some channels like ricoswabe and king panda, it gives me some heebie jeebies as well. There's something off but i can't exactly pinpoint what, why...

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #7248 on: June 10, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »
^ Truth.

Local car reviews are so useless.

If they can't use strong language they could just be super objective like Performance Drive. Measure/test and give the exact decibel readings, acceleration figures, interior measurements/volumes etc. Avoid stepping on any toes, but viewers can just look up car x and compare directly to car y.
fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #7249 on: June 20, 2022, 09:41:23 AM »
I've logged a lot of miles since getting a vehicle again. The difference between having a car and not having one for me is.... not much. I adjusted to not having a car and i've adjusted to having a car again. Hedonistic adaptation is real amigos.

Ayoko isipin kung magkano gas na naubos ko sa ~10K kilometers na naitakbo ko in a year.

====
Lemme babble about sunglasses. Inis ako kung gano ka sakit sa bulsa ang mga ito. I hate the price of oakleys; especially because they don't last. Laging natutuklap yung coating on its own. I don't think they'll ever change that "feature", planned obsolescence eh. I know an oakley fanatic, He just rationalized the situation by saying that the fix is to use packing tape and pull off all the coating so it would look good again. 

G5 lenses on rayban pinaka gusto ko dun sa brand. I tried 'neutral' grays, panget. Overall, mas importante pala yung bawas glare at silaw tsaka contrast kesa color accuracy. Mas importante rin na mas mabilis ma identify yung pag galaw na pedestrian, animals, motorcycles. Traffic lights are never an issue.

Mukhang boto ako sa polarized kahit na nagra rainbow ng konti sa digital gauges. Green foliage get these weird pink hues through the window tint. Polarized glasses are "smart glasses." They cut the brightness of the dashboard, sun glints off hoods, and yet, doesn't dim the horizon like heavy tinted sunglasses. It is selective. And you could literally tilt your head and notice how the brightness of a dashboard change; parang may slider ng brightness for a screen.

Best, best, best, head and shoulders above the competition are Serengetis. Ung driver's lenses. Damn. Minsan, lakas ng buhos ng ulan, I can obviously see better with them. Maybe it filtered out the cumulative glare from every drop. Whatever the scientific magic may be, it works! And works well. (Side note, my phone can see better than me. Vinideo ko minsan kung gano kalakas yung ulan, whuh? I can see the road and other cars better by looking at my phone that is looking through the windshield. No wonder lexus is moving on to camera side mirrors.) Sayang naupuan ko yung precious serengetis ko so my fault. Ano kaya sunod? Randolph engineering?

Sa pansamatagal, bumili ako ng polarized "polar" brand sunglasses sa sarabia. It works. May website naman yung brand so di siya tiangge special na obvious yung optical aberration. 4K, i can shell out instantly out of my wallet.

I miss my serengeti. =/  My precious....