Author Topic: The Best way to cool your Athlon XP  (Read 2474 times)

1c3c00L

The Best way to cool your Athlon XP
« on: October 31, 2002, 04:24:05 AM »
what's the best way to cool an XP? water? hsf combination? btw, what are copper shims for? suggestions? thanks a lot!

Offline zeon

• Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 08:36:13 PM »
Best way available would be to use Nitrogen cooling.  But don't take my word for it, ask them crazy Jap bastards.

Offline zeon

• Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 04:37:08 AM »
Copper shims are used to prevent crushing the delicate cores on the Athlon XPs.  Actually that's what the rubber feet are for as well but those can easily be destroyed by wear.

1c3c00L

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 04:41:00 AM »
Nitrogen? any link? so copper shim is just a substitute for the rubber?

Offline zeon

• Administrator
  • Semi-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 09:04:13 PM »
Liquid Nitrogen.  Copper shims are better than the rubber.

1c3c00L

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 09:10:48 PM »
i know, you have a link on liquid nitrogen?

Offline Tediber

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 10:31:15 PM »
liquid nitrogen is not readily available ....... i'm gonna try using pure alcohol instead of water ....... but your system have got to close to "air" tight when using alcohol ....... as it will leak easily heehehe just as i found out ...... currently testing for leaks ..... nde ko pa lagay cpu

MaU

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2002, 12:12:40 AM »
globalwin cak4-88t...ok daw sbra to..tamihik na tapos will really improve ur temps..si nitsuj was really satisfied nga e.planning to buy one nga e..hahahaah

Offline Tediber

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2002, 11:20:45 PM »
here's my attempt at cooling ...........  AXP1600+(1.82volts Vcore) and EPOX 8K3A ..... running at 200FSBx8.5 = 1.7GHz  ..... MAZE3+black Ice Pro + pure alcohol + RIO600pump ............... idle temp 35-38C ....... load at 40-42C

Offline the great

• Semi-Newbie
    • http://www.pinoymodz.com
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2002, 07:31:16 AM »
My sign ba ng no smoking rig mo ted? Fire hazard... =)

Offline Tediber

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2002, 07:39:30 AM »
i'm now running my XP1600+ AGOIA 0224 at 1.763ghz and 1.9Vcore ....... 196x9  ..... super stable na hehehehe idle 37-40C  load 40-44C    ...... temps depend on aircon ........ some of the fittings ...... i superglued to make a "airtight" system ..... as alcohol leaks easier than water ............. hmmmmm dapat siguro mag install na rin ako ng fire estinguisher hehehehe

Offline the great

• Semi-Newbie
    • http://www.pinoymodz.com
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2002, 08:16:43 AM »
Kano na-invest mo sa kooling tedi?

Offline calvin

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2002, 08:38:09 AM »
alcohol?  Why use alcohol?  Water has a specific heat of 1.0, while alcohol is about 0.6

in terms of heat absorbing capacity, water is definitely much better... (I'd recommend that you use triple distilled water...

the only other chemical that I know of that has greater specific heat than water is liquid ammonia (about 1.15) but I doubt if the cooling system can handle its chemical properties...

Offline Tediber

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2002, 10:28:17 AM »
danger den maze3 ----] padala ni kuya (nasira ko yung see-thru top heheheh pinalitan ko ng stainless steel top)

black ice pro ----] 2700

Rio 600 pump ----] less than 500 lang ata to e ..... me sale sa bangketa ko nakita sa g-hills papasok ng virra ..... 500+ lang yung pinakamalakas nila

clear tubings 10p/meter

a lot of patience

alcohol's viscosity is much lower than water ...... this makes it better at flowing and the best really i think is a combination of water/methanol ...... i will try again water/acohol combination ...... first try ko yun eh ang lamig nun kaso nag le leak pag me alcohol ........ it's molecules are smaller ata kaya kelangan "air" tight ang system mo di lang water tight

and i read an article also comparing both in actual test ..... and the alcohol won .... problem is it evaporates ..... so u better have an airtight system ......

alcohol evaporates easily ....... it accepts heat faster and dumps it faster as well ....... in a system using a reservoir instead of a radiator ...... water wins hands down ..... because it can hold more heat ....... but without a reservoir .... speed is the key ........ so far that i've noticed is my temps at idle and at full load (sandra's high stress continous burn in test) is like 2-3C difference only

remember when u were sick and mommy mixed water/alcohol to make punas punas you and to lower your temps ...... it's colder than just water

Edited by Tediber on 2002-11-04 10:53:23

Offline lahar

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2002, 09:47:41 PM »
remember when u were sick and mommy mixed water/alcohol to make punas punas you and to lower your temps ...... it's colder than just water

thats because alcohol is more volatile than water. that cold sensation is due to the alcohol evaporating off your skin.

Offline Tediber

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2002, 07:06:10 AM »
http://24.165.249.97:1055/complab/liquid1.htm

here's a link testing several coolant combinations

docProtoss

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2002, 03:10:57 AM »
I agree triple distilled is much better.  

Offline Mitsurugi

• The best revenge is success
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2002, 07:23:00 PM »
distilled water is good!

Offline Tediber

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2002, 12:38:33 PM »
the best is "compressed" alcohol according to a physicist ................

alcohol performs better in the sense it's molecules are smaller than water ..... kaya nakakasingit sa mga cracks in the surface better than water does ...... it's viscosity allows it to flow smoother on the surface of the block than water ......... kung perfectly polished din ang inside ng copper block mo .... water will win

Offline calvin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2002, 05:52:02 PM »
alcohol performs better in the sense it's molecules are smaller than water
 whoa... says who?  water IS smaller than alcohol... compare their molecular weights... and their structures:

water is H2O : MW =18.015

ethanol is CH3CH2OH : MW=46.068

methanol is CH3OH : MW=32.042

kung perfectly polished din ang inside ng copper block mo .... water will win
 not exactly, there is a reason why water jackets are not polished... a smooth surface will cause water molecules to adhere to the metal surface, due primarily to its high surface tension.  If this happens, residual water molecules sticking to the surface of water jackets (copper block on your case) would not recirculate to the radiator... resulting to poor heat transfer between the copper block and the radiator.  As a workaround, engineers designed rough surfaced water jackets to create turbulence so that water would find it hard to stick to the surface... and still others decided to mix "water wetter" (a chemical simply designed to lower the surface tension of water without lowering its specific heat too much) to increase flow rate...

ALthough water has a high specific heat, which allows it to absorb great amounts of heat before its own temperature rises, this property also makes water lose heat slowly.  To work around this, engineers would create a large radiator to allow more surface area for the water to get in contact with so that it will loose more heat before it is recirculated back into the water jacket...