Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 480374 times)

Offline ris

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8000 on: December 30, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
di na ata babalik sa 1.5k ang t4s.  last time 1.9k ngayon 2k+ na...
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #8001 on: January 01, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
this has been on my mind for the past few weeks and it's the first time i had the time to post it here, to help me process my thoughts and also to serve as an advisory to PPC members.

last Dec 18 my dad had stroke.

it was a rather normal morning, my dad asked me if i had somewhere to go to, but i said no. he left the house as usual, as he goes to the wet market every morning.

9:30 am he was still not home, but i thought he was just chatting with friends, or went to his apartments for inspection. by 11:30 am he still wasn't home, so i texted him about his whereabouts. no answer. i got worried. i gave him a call. on the third call, he finally answered. his words were mostly gibberish, but he mentioned he was at his doctor, so i just waited for him to get home.

12:30 pm he arrived home via tricycle. i observed his gait. no problems that i could see. he hurried to the kitchen and got himself lunch. again, no problem. but when he took the pitcher of water from the ref, poured water ina  bowl instead of glass and placed the pitcher together with the dishes, that got me worried. still, i thought he was just hungry and in a hurry. but when he started to count his meds, he couldn't, and that spurred me to rush him to the hospital.

at first i was thinking it was just his hunger and it was hypoglycemia, but a CT scan revealed bleeding in his brain (a more common form of stroke is due to block in the brain's blood vessels). he was then brought to the ICU for close monitoring. he was surprisingly alert, but had trouble recalling names of people and objects.

after 3 days he was finally released from the ICU to a private room, and it took 6 more days before he was able to go home.

at one of those days, the doctor told me that if i wasn't at home, if i wasn't cognizant of the strange behavior of my dad, if i hadn't decided right away to rush him to a hospital, he would have been at a much worse state - comatose or maybe dead.

it was so easy to brush away the symptoms as a result of fatigue or hunger, so the patients were often brought to the hospital too late.

anyway, dad's mostly fine now. he has no problems moving around, though he still has trouble expressing himself though verbal communication sometimes, but not that bad. i am thinking he will gradually improve over time.

so there, if you suspect someone - especially those who are old, has a history of stroke, has diabetes, a smoker, etc - is acting strangely (as if disoriented or confused), please have him or her checked at the hospital.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8002 on: January 01, 2018, 06:03:50 PM »
^sorry to hear about your father. Yung officemate ko na-stroke on fieldwork. Bigla na lang siya sumisigaw sa kwarto. Hindi niya raw ma-isuot ang pantalon niya. We rushed him to the hospital and he recovered naman. I heard Kim Atienza (the TV host) once talked about his mild stroke. He said he did not feel any pain, just a feeling of confusion and began taking off all his clothes and walking around naked. Even active and healthy looking people can suffer it.

Offline popoy

« Reply #8003 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
@sephiroth
you did a great thing, you should be proud. 

Lagi namin nakakasabay yan sila kuya kim sa nuvali nag-training cycling.  I think the stroke was before he got into endurance sports.  It was probably what got him into it. 
shit happens.

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #8004 on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:52 AM »
@lahar,

it's a good thing your office mate managed to call for help and that people were nearby.

yeah, stroke can begin differently, depending on which part of the brain was affected, and what kind of stroke it was (block or bleed).

dad's blood chem was normal 2 weeks prior to stroke, but i think his sudden increase in blood pressure on that day triggered it. what increased his blood pressure is what puzzles me. my prime suspect is that he experienced a BP spike because of stress due to his faulty glasses. at the hospital, when we were at the private room, he hadn't worn his glasses in days, but when he put them on, he complained he had double vision and then his BP spiked. i told the doctors about it, and while they said it's not the likely cause, i did not take chances. i also had my dad checked by an opthalmologist as an inpatient (which is more expensive than outpatient @ P6000) and had his glasses replaced. gonna get the glasses tomorrow.

@popoy,

i just feel relieved i was at home when dad got stroke. it happened on a monday, and i don't go out on mondays. any other day and it would have been a different outcome.

Offline AJ

• sudo make me a sandwich
« Reply #8005 on: January 02, 2018, 06:13:42 AM »
Around 320 movies, 40 anime series/movies, 92 TV series. Quality from SD-1080p only. x265 is huge space savings vs x264.

If I can find x265 or HD rips of old stuff, I re-download.

I'm due to upgrade my x264 to x265 soon! where do you get most of them anyway?

Loving my Synology NAS + Plex combo. I don't have to deal with low powered RPi2 and Kodi. Nung lumaki na library ko at upgrade ng Estuary Mod Skin, noticeable na yung sluggishness nya.

I just migrated our movie collection from separate portable hdd to my NAS. kahit paano ay nakapag-digital clean up ako.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8006 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:34 AM »
@sephiroth
you did a great thing, you should be proud. 

Lagi namin nakakasabay yan sila kuya kim sa nuvali nag-training cycling.  I think the stroke was before he got into endurance sports.  It was probably what got him into it. 

I think he was already quite active before the stroke. I accompanied him and his show staff on a climb to Pinatubo in 2008. His taping was quite intense as they would walk back and forth, climb up and down ridges to get the perfect shot.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #8007 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm due to upgrade my x264 to x265 soon! where do you get most of them anyway?

I source x265 from piratebay.org and /r/megalinks (just using free mega.nz account and megadownloader/jdownloader).
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline lahar

« Reply #8008 on: January 02, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
I think they should sell queso de bola all year round. along with holiday/fiesta ham.

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #8009 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
I think they should sell queso de bola all year round. along with holiday/fiesta ham.
i think they always have this at Robinsons Grocery - if I'm not mistaken.
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8010 on: January 02, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
Christmas hams will be cheaper around this time until they sell off all their stocks (which could last probably until Feb). Not a fan of queso de bola but I think I saw some "queso de bola flavored" cheese in the usual brick form.

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #8011 on: January 02, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »
Christmas hams will be cheaper around this time until they sell off all their stocks (which could last probably until Feb). Not a fan of queso de bola but I think I saw some "queso de bola flavored" cheese in the usual brick form.

last christmas we bought excellente ham located at quipao near the bridge. it costs around 1k 
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Offline lahar

« Reply #8012 on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »

After January, the balls of ham are gone. as are the quezo de bola/edam cheeses. I love having edam cheese and red wine before going to bed.

Offline calvin

« Reply #8013 on: January 02, 2018, 06:30:25 PM »
^ I like the Gruyère cheese better than the "queso de bola"

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #8014 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
napadaan ako sa grocery kanina, buy 1 take 1 na mga christmas hams

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8015 on: January 02, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »

last christmas we bought excellente ham located at quipao near the bridge. it costs around 1k
Never got to try that ham. It's available all year round, right?

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #8016 on: January 02, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »

Never got to try that ham. It's available all year round, right?

yes its available anytime but make sure you go there during dull season otherwise you have to endure a very long line just to buy that ham.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Offline AJ

• sudo make me a sandwich
« Reply #8017 on: January 03, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »
Thx Barurutor. lurker din ako sa r/megalinks. currently getting the DBZ movies. :)

Offline popoy

« Reply #8018 on: January 03, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
I had a missed call from 0171, anybody know what this four digit number is about?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

shit happens.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8019 on: January 04, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
Loving the cool and windy weather. Pahinga muna aircon at wallet.