Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 485123 times)

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8720 on: November 12, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »
Hellow fellow PPC menyekz! :)
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline altec

« Reply #8721 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
Hula ko.. may anak na si Heishiro.. busy sa layf...
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #8722 on: November 12, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
my account got BANNED! i hate you Dean and Luwe!! LOL
not sure why i got banned. i just tried to log in again today and yeah!

yup my daughter will be 2 years old this week :) eto nandito pa din sa Vietnam!
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline motion55

« Reply #8723 on: November 12, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
any recommended great finds in aliexpress?  hehehe!  thanks sir

Here is one item on my wish list. It has more antennas than the router I bought. The chipset has good reputation for wifi coverage. It also has a good discount for 11.11. You have a few hours remaining..

I don't remember the price before 11.11. I don't think it's really that much as posted but I think it was enough to catch my eye. If you don't make it, wait a while and they might post a similar discounted price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/English-verison-OpenWRT-mt7621-dual-core-chipset-Gigabit-wifi-router-11ac-dual-band-wireless-router-with/32823716383.html

Here are few more.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8mm-Lens-Wifi-Android-Iphone-Endoscope-Camera-1M-Waterproof-Snake-Tube-Pipe-Borescope-720P-Iphone-Camera/32785497410.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-Port-10-100-1000Mbps-Managed-Switch-IGMP-VLAN-port-mirror-8-port-full-gigabit-smart/32766130350.html

Maybe we should start a thread for curious online shopping finds..
"Set your mind free!"

Online lahar

« Reply #8724 on: November 12, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
kahit hindi 11.11 okay ba mag order sa aliexpress?  do you do credit card or COD?  any other online sites aside from lazada and shopee worth trying out?
I use Paymaya for Aliexpress. I select either China Post registered mail or Aliexpress standard shipping. I noticed that if it originates from China then China Post registered is the shipping method. If it originates from another country like Singapore or Hongkong,  Aliexpress shipping is the preferred method. I can track shipments all the way even through the Philippine post.

You can dispute shipment that have not arrived. On a purchase, the shipment was close to being beyond the 2 month limit. The tracking number indicated that it has not left "country of origin". So I messaged the seller who promptly replied that the shipment is already at our post office but also gave me another tracking number. My guess is they faked the first shipment to avoid the automatic cancellation. I checked the Philippine post office web site and indeed the package is on the way to the delivery office. When I got home on that day, the package was already delivered.

Recently, I have more purchases from Aliexpress than from Lazada. I had a couple of orders on Lazada that got cancelled. Aliexpress is the goto store if the item is not available on Lazada or the price difference is too high. But the Aliexpress purchases are usually small ticket items costing less than Php3000. Next year I will be buying an item that's over Php5000 but "free" shipping is via DHL. My experience is that it can get hung up at customs and I have to send receipts to prove the item's value.

Do you recommend Paymaya or credit card on Allexpress?

Offline ris

« Reply #8725 on: November 12, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
any recommended great finds in aliexpress?  hehehe!  thanks sir

Here is one item on my wish list. It has more antennas than the router I bought. The chipset has good reputation for wifi coverage. It also has a good discount for 11.11. You have a few hours remaining..

I don't remember the price before 11.11. I don't think it's really that much as posted but I think it was enough to catch my eye. If you don't make it, wait a while and they might post a similar discounted price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/English-verison-OpenWRT-mt7621-dual-core-chipset-Gigabit-wifi-router-11ac-dual-band-wireless-router-with/32823716383.html

Here are few more.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8mm-Lens-Wifi-Android-Iphone-Endoscope-Camera-1M-Waterproof-Snake-Tube-Pipe-Borescope-720P-Iphone-Camera/32785497410.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-Port-10-100-1000Mbps-Managed-Switch-IGMP-VLAN-port-mirror-8-port-full-gigabit-smart/32766130350.html

Maybe we should start a thread for curious online shopping finds..

pwede...  create ka nalang sir ng thread since its your idea.  ill post there also if i do find something useful
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline altec

« Reply #8726 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »
btw, I noticed since 2 months ago na may alipay na sa robinson's business center (department store.) Saw a jewelry store also accepting alipay...

there are even shops where you can pay via wechat already.  saw this in paradise dynasty in S maison.  not sure if its only available there though
wow cool! Alipay & wechat pay are the dominant payng method here in china now, china has now truly gone cashless kasi kahit street vendor or tricycle driver puro scan nalang ng QR code oh kahit yung mga namamalimos na rin but that's more of a business move by some companies tapos may porsiento yung mga nag papascan.

Kahit halagan P1.00 dito QR code na lahat & yung online shopping nila is very efficient. I get my wheat bread & skippy online hehehe

I am hoping that gcash (bpi at globe kase ako) will be the one that gets adopted ubiquitously. Dameng options sa ngayon, paymaya, coins.ph, paypal, and the forementioned alipay and gcash... i think the dust will more or less settle in 3 years time what will be dropped and what will be embraced... 

Offline motion55

« Reply #8727 on: November 12, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
I used to use SmartMoney. But it looks like Smart the communications company is moving away from SmartMoney. I still use it to load my family's Smart prepaid phones. But when I last visited a Smart Store, they no longer accept loading for SmartMoney. The guard pointed me to BDO to load my SmartMoney. No, I didn't want queue up in that BDO branch. Curiously they do have a terminal for TouchPay loading of Paymaya. So I loaded up on Paymaya instead.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline calvin

« Reply #8728 on: November 12, 2018, 03:24:01 PM »
btw, I noticed since 2 months ago na may alipay na sa robinson's business center (department store.) Saw a jewelry store also accepting alipay...

there are even shops where you can pay via wechat already.  saw this in paradise dynasty in S maison.  not sure if its only available there though
wow cool! Alipay & wechat pay are the dominant payng method here in china now, china has now truly gone cashless kasi kahit street vendor or tricycle driver puro scan nalang ng QR code oh kahit yung mga namamalimos na rin but that's more of a business move by some companies tapos may porsiento yung mga nag papascan.

Kahit halagan P1.00 dito QR code na lahat & yung online shopping nila is very efficient. I get my wheat bread & skippy online hehehe

I am hoping that gcash (bpi at globe kase ako) will be the one that gets adopted ubiquitously. Dameng options sa ngayon, paymaya, coins.ph, paypal, and the forementioned alipay and gcash... i think the dust will more or less settle in 3 years time what will be dropped and what will be embraced... 

I used to send money to our maid using GCash... but not anymore, they made it more difficult to cash out.

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8729 on: November 12, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
I used to use SmartMoney. But it looks like Smart the communications company is moving away from SmartMoney. I still use it to load my family's Smart prepaid phones. But when I last visited a Smart Store, they no longer accept loading for SmartMoney. The guard pointed me to BDO to load my SmartMoney. No, I didn't want queue up in that BDO branch. Curiously they do have a terminal for TouchPay loading of Paymaya. So I loaded up on Paymaya instead.
Paymaya has now largely superseded SmartMoney. Same owner hehe
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline ris

« Reply #8730 on: November 12, 2018, 06:56:55 PM »
ako naman i prefer paymaya kasi may mvprewards card ako.  hehehe!  dun pumapasok yung pldt, sun and smart points ko.  hopefully both gcash and paymaya both become the dominant players.  better kung dalawa sila.  para may competition.  kahit sa cashless payments duopoly parin.  lol
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Online lahar

« Reply #8731 on: November 13, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »
RIP Stan Lee. Excelsior!

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8732 on: November 13, 2018, 05:10:55 AM »
hopefully he had the chance to see the sequel to Infinity War. RIP.

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8733 on: November 13, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
seems like our Globe broadband connection got upgraded from VDSL to Fiber. our upload and download speeds are the same now.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #8734 on: November 14, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
roku vs. chromecast? 

needs:
low Price
4K (should work here in the PH)
streaming (league pass, netflix, youtube etc)
Plex capable? Don't know if possible

Offline sandstig

• Administrator
« Reply #8735 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
roku vs. chromecast? 

needs:
low Price
4K (should work here in the PH)
streaming (league pass, netflix, youtube etc)
Plex capable? Don't know if possible

If you want 4K, you're looking at the Chromecast Ultra and the Roku Ultra, or an older Roku Premiere.
Both the Roku Ultra and Chromecast Ultra can stream from a Plex server, but neither of them can host the Plex Media Server.

The Chromecast Ultra is a lot cheaper, but it will require you to initiate the stream from a computer, smartphone, or tablet. Once you have something like Netflix going though, the movie will continue even if you turn off your device.

I'm not sure how much the Roku Ultra costs over there, but I think it's usually more expensive than the 16GB version of NVIDIA SHIELD TV v2. The SHIELD can host Plex Media Server and has no trouble playing back even 4K HEVC content and works great with both GeForce Now or Steam Link app if you want to stream games from your PC. I strongly recommend getting the 16GB version over the 500GB version, since the latter uses a Seagate hybrid drive that's been problematic. If you decide that you need more storage later on for apps, you can expand the storage with an external drive or a USB stick.

Offline altec

« Reply #8736 on: November 16, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »
RIP my dog of 14 years *sigh*

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #8737 on: November 16, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »

They said that these 3TB WD Green drives are the worst drives in history... It's been running 24x7 since 2012, and will be retiring it, replacing it with a single 8TB drive (was running it in Raid5, so I just lost less than 1TB free storage)
http://forum.pinoypc.net/index.php?topic=34929.msg935566#msg935566

I still have 2x2TB WD-green drives that has been running for longer (I think I bought it 2010), it's running in Raid1 as my system/swap/active storage

I really haven't had problem any problems with WD, all my failed drives (since ~90s) have been seagate (i'm crossing my fingers on the 8TB purchase, and be making these 3TB as cold storage backup)
jeremypv

Online lahar

« Reply #8738 on: November 16, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »
I have a pair of WD 4TB Greens from 2014. Seem to be holding up well.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8739 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
^ Are the 3TB really that bad? The WD Green hate I know seems to be concentrated on the early versions of the 1TB and 2TB that had firmware that was overly aggressive about head parking.

On the topic of HDDs: I wish the bigger HGSTs were easily available locally. Backblaze gives them four 9s of untroubled operation (99.99% reliable), whereas WD and Seagate get just two 9s (99.83% WD, 99.72 Seagate).

Hitachi Drives
If the price were right, we would be buying nothing but Hitachi drives. They have been rock solid, and have had a remarkably low failure rate.

Once again, Hitachi wins. Hitachi drives get “four nines” of untroubled operation time, while the other brands just get “two nines”.

What Drives Is Backblaze Buying Now?

We are focusing on 4TB drives for new pods. For these, our current favorite is the Seagate Desktop HDD.15 (ST4000DM000). We’ll have to keep an eye on them, though. Historically, Seagate drives have performed well at first, and then had higher failure rates later.

Our other favorite is the Western Digital 3TB Red (WD30EFRX).

We still have to buy smaller drives as replacements for older pods where drives fail. The drives we absolutely won’t buy are Western Digital 3TB Green drives and Seagate 2TB LP drives.

A year and a half ago, Western Digital acquired the Hitachi disk drive business. Will Hitachi drives continue their excellent performance? Will Western Digital bring some of the Hitachi reliability into their consumer-grade drives?
fhtagn