Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 485124 times)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8700 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »

Speed limited by "300Mbps" WiFi-N. ISP is PT&T 100Mbps fiber that normally measures close to 100/100 when connected via good old 100Mbps Ethernet LAN.
fhtagn

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #8701 on: November 10, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »
just converted all my disks into GPT! it was a pain because my data SSD (1TB) was still on MBR, and only my 1TB HDD has enough space to back it up. It took me 2 hours to transfer 640GB to my HDD and just converted my data SSD to GPT. now copying the 640GB back to the SSD from the HDD... 12 hours to go :D

I did that a few months ago, Windows 10 have a built-in utility that you don't have to backup/reformat/re-transfer the files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt
jeremypv

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8702 on: November 10, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
just converted all my disks into GPT! it was a pain because my data SSD (1TB) was still on MBR, and only my 1TB HDD has enough space to back it up. It took me 2 hours to transfer 640GB to my HDD and just converted my data SSD to GPT. now copying the 640GB back to the SSD from the HDD... 12 hours to go :D

I did that a few months ago, Windows 10 have a built-in utility that you don't have to backup/reformat/re-transfer the files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Yeah but i was convertting a non-system disk so i couldn't use this. Anyway conversion and copy back of data done! :)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Online lahar

« Reply #8703 on: November 10, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »
Everyone I know seems to be waiting on the Lazada sale.

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8704 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
^yep. we're waiting to buy some appliances there later hehe
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #8705 on: November 10, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
Gotta be weary of bait-and-switch pricing on those sales.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8706 on: November 10, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
It's the Shopee sale now right? Then Lazada tomorrow?
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #8707 on: November 11, 2018, 12:03:11 AM »
It's the Shopee sale now right? Then Lazada tomorrow?

both have sales on november 11.  or 11-11.  even cebu pacific is having a sale
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8708 on: November 11, 2018, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline motion55

« Reply #8709 on: November 11, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
The items I am interested have minuscule discounts. So I bought some of them ahead of the sale. I am wary of the sale because the seller does not have to deliver them. The items you "bought" can be cancelled leaving you hanging for several days.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8710 on: November 11, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »
^lazada or shopee?

Online lahar

« Reply #8711 on: November 11, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »
Ugh, ordered a fast helmet from Shopee only to have to cancel it after 1 hour because their default shipping provider (Zoom) does not pick up such a "big" item. Tried ordering again but apparently the free shipping voucher no longer works. Also Shopee does not have a credit card payment option.

Offline ris

« Reply #8712 on: November 11, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
Ugh, ordered a fast helmet from Shopee only to have to cancel it after 1 hour because their default shipping provider (Zoom) does not pick up such a "big" item. Tried ordering again but apparently the free shipping voucher no longer works. Also Shopee does not have a credit card payment option.

they actually do have credit card payment.  i guess its just most sellers only accept cash.  ive had experiences where you even needed to pay in advance via bank deposit.  you deposit the full amount you ordered into a shopee account.  and then, shopee is the one who pays the sellers.  there are also sellers who accept COD.  try the mobile load area.  the only option there is credit card payment.  if you load between 12nn to 4pm there is a 20% discount. 

The items I am interested have minuscule discounts. So I bought some of them ahead of the sale. I am wary of the sale because the seller does not have to deliver them. The items you "bought" can be cancelled leaving you hanging for several days.

miniscule like how much?  i got several vouchers before the sale.  those vouchers are applicable only on the day of the sale.  i have used an 800 peso discount voucher PLUS another separate voucher during the sale today.  bought a smartphone for less 800 pesos(lazada voucher) and 20% discount BDO visa voucher.  i also have other smaller discount vouchers like 200, 400 and % vouchers.  some have specific shops only.  lazada usually limits the discounts so im already satisfied with what i got.  on normal days, they usually only give about 200-300 max discount

Offline motion55

« Reply #8713 on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
miniscule like how much?

I would like to stress that it's for the items I was interested in. To give you an example. From AliExpress, I bought a wireless router that uses a dual core MT7621A chip. It is the same chip found in high end routers . In fact you can order the router with the Asus WRT1200AC firmware or OpenWRT loaded. I chose OpenWRT. It is currently advertised for $28.64 from $34.50 (-14%). But it was already on sale as early as last week for the same $28.64. The item is currently sold out.

I also bought a 2nd cheaper router for $14.97. It's current 11.11 price is $13.32 (-11%).  But in terms of absolute cost difference, it's about Php200. That may be substantial but the order can get cancelled in this 11.11. Both routers include shipping via China Post registered mail. I am able to trace the shipment all the way even in the hands of our local Post Office.

I also bought a 3rd item last week after a similar item I ordered from Lazada got cancelled by the seller. It is cheaper from AliExpress but takes longer. Another reason I bought early is I didn't want it to be caught in the usual Christmas jam at the Post Office.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline ris

« Reply #8714 on: November 11, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »
miniscule like how much?

I would like to stress that it's for the items I was interested in. To give you an example. From AliExpress, I bought a wireless router that uses a dual core MT7621A chip. It is the same chip found in high end routers . In fact you can order the router with the Asus WRT1200AC firmware or OpenWRT loaded. I chose OpenWRT. It is currently advertised for $28.64 from $34.50 (-14%). But it was already on sale as early as last week for the same $28.64. The item is currently sold out.

I also bought a 2nd cheaper router for $14.97. It's current 11.11 price is $13.32 (-11%).  But in terms of absolute cost difference, it's about Php200. That may be substantial but the order can get cancelled in this 11.11. Both routers include shipping via China Post registered mail. I am able to trace the shipment all the way even in the hands of our local Post Office.

I also bought a 3rd item last week after a similar item I ordered from Lazada got cancelled by the seller. It is cheaper from AliExpress but takes longer. Another reason I bought early is I didn't want it to be caught in the usual Christmas jam at the Post Office.

kahit hindi 11.11 okay ba mag order sa aliexpress?  do you do credit card or COD?  any other online sites aside from lazada and shopee worth trying out?

Offline altec

« Reply #8715 on: November 12, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
btw, I noticed since 2 months ago na may alipay na sa robinson's business center (department store.) Saw a jewelry store also accepting alipay...
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline ris

« Reply #8716 on: November 12, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
btw, I noticed since 2 months ago na may alipay na sa robinson's business center (department store.) Saw a jewelry store also accepting alipay...

there are even shops where you can pay via wechat already.  saw this in paradise dynasty in S maison.  not sure if its only available there though

Offline motion55

« Reply #8717 on: November 12, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
kahit hindi 11.11 okay ba mag order sa aliexpress?  do you do credit card or COD?  any other online sites aside from lazada and shopee worth trying out?
I use Paymaya for Aliexpress. I select either China Post registered mail or Aliexpress standard shipping. I noticed that if it originates from China then China Post registered is the shipping method. If it originates from another country like Singapore or Hongkong,  Aliexpress shipping is the preferred method. I can track shipments all the way even through the Philippine post.

You can dispute shipment that have not arrived. On a purchase, the shipment was close to being beyond the 2 month limit. The tracking number indicated that it has not left "country of origin". So I messaged the seller who promptly replied that the shipment is already at our post office but also gave me another tracking number. My guess is they faked the first shipment to avoid the automatic cancellation. I checked the Philippine post office web site and indeed the package is on the way to the delivery office. When I got home on that day, the package was already delivered.

Recently, I have more purchases from Aliexpress than from Lazada. I had a couple of orders on Lazada that got cancelled. Aliexpress is the goto store if the item is not available on Lazada or the price difference is too high. But the Aliexpress purchases are usually small ticket items costing less than Php3000. Next year I will be buying an item that's over Php5000 but "free" shipping is via DHL. My experience is that it can get hung up at customs and I have to send receipts to prove the item's value.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #8718 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

there are even shops where you can pay via wechat already.  saw this in paradise dynasty in S maison.  not sure if its only available there though
wow cool! Alipay & wechat pay are the dominant payng method here in china now, china has now truly gone cashless kasi kahit street vendor or tricycle driver puro scan nalang ng QR code oh kahit yung mga namamalimos na rin but that's more of a business move by some companies tapos may porsiento yung mga nag papascan.

Kahit halagan P1.00 dito QR code na lahat & yung online shopping nila is very efficient. I get my wheat bread & skippy online hehehe
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline ris

« Reply #8719 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
I use Paymaya for Aliexpress. I select either China Post registered mail or Aliexpress standard shipping. I noticed that if it originates from China then China Post registered is the shipping method. If it originates from another country like Singapore or Hongkong,  Aliexpress shipping is the preferred method. I can track shipments all the way even through the Philippine post.

You can dispute shipment that have not arrived. On a purchase, the shipment was close to being beyond the 2 month limit. The tracking number indicated that it has not left "country of origin". So I messaged the seller who promptly replied that the shipment is already at our post office but also gave me another tracking number. My guess is they faked the first shipment to avoid the automatic cancellation. I checked the Philippine post office web site and indeed the package is on the way to the delivery office. When I got home on that day, the package was already delivered.

Recently, I have more purchases from Aliexpress than from Lazada. I had a couple of orders on Lazada that got cancelled. Aliexpress is the goto store if the item is not available on Lazada or the price difference is too high. But the Aliexpress purchases are usually small ticket items costing less than Php3000. Next year I will be buying an item that's over Php5000 but "free" shipping is via DHL. My experience is that it can get hung up at customs and I have to send receipts to prove the item's value.

any recommended great finds in aliexpress?  hehehe!  thanks sir