Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 485118 times)

Offline altec

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8660 on: October 30, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
How does linux mint fare/stand in the scheme of things?
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8661 on: October 30, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
^still works well, and the most accessible for newbies/converts from windows.

however, Cinnamon (and GNOME) are suffering from some performance issues, mainly inefficient memory usage and high CPU cycles. I've moved to using KDE in the meantime, specifically KDE Neon (Ubuntu LTS base, but KDE is updated with the latest regularly). Linux Mint 19.1 will probably ship (in Nov/Dec) with Cinnamon 4.0 which they say comes with some performance improvements, I am waiting to see this and will switch if it's satisfactory.

been thinking of what distro to put on my new HP Envy 13, in the meantime I need a disk enclosure so I can image the Envy's SSD to backup the Windows installation.
btw, IBM has bought Red Hat
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8662 on: October 31, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »
Clear Linux is bitchin fast!

And wow, Ubuntu 18.10 is teh sux.
In what aspects does it sux? Thinking whether to go ubuntu or openSUSE tumbleweed for my laptop. No time/patience to install and configure Arch LOL
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8663 on: October 31, 2018, 06:04:00 AM »
i've read that Steam's Proton grants Linux compatibility over more and more games. awesome!

Offline lahar

« Reply #8664 on: October 31, 2018, 06:22:32 AM »
Ganito ba dito sa Hong Kong? Store clerks, bus drivers and waiters acting rude, parang customers should be grateful that they are even providing a service? Bus driver pa lang sa airport telling a tourist " hey you! Tap yourbcard again!". Our waiter pushed the small giift box I brought for my friend  away to make space for the food he brought.

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #8665 on: October 31, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
Yes sir, mostly the service sector in HK are like that, ingat din sa Tsim Sha Tsui, daming biktima ng bait & switch dyan. I think it's because of the pressure of daily life in HK. Small living conditions that almost everyday ay inyourface living, high living cost of food & housing, pressure from upper management & most activities in HK are like in Fast forward & most of the brunt goes to the service sector kaya ganyan sila. 

At pag tumawad ka pala, palalayasin ka nila  :angry:
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8666 on: October 31, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
Swapped stories of the supernatural with my dad over dinner. In his youth, he lived in Aklan - famed hot spot for otherworldly encounters. He had plenty of stories to tell, from ghosts at the cemetery near his home to shape-shifting beings he and his father encountered. I told him of my own chilling experiences, from a shadow-like figure who pulled at the feet of my sleeping roommate to a caretaker of cadavers who sawed open decapitated heads for their brains.
Because who needs sleep tonight anyway? :lol:

Offline lahar

« Reply #8667 on: October 31, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
Yes sir, mostly the service sector in HK are like that, ingat din sa Tsim Sha Tsui, daming biktima ng bait & switch dyan. I think it's because of the pressure of daily life in HK. Small living conditions that almost everyday ay inyourface living, high living cost of food & housing, pressure from upper management & most activities in HK are like in Fast forward & most of the brunt goes to the service sector kaya ganyan sila. 

Nabigla ako eh. I had this expectation that East Asian countries would be accomodating and courteous to customers and tourists. Different from my experience in Taiwan, South Korea and especially Japan. Even in HK Disneyland, the server was a bit rude!

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #8668 on: October 31, 2018, 11:11:07 PM »
Nung nasa HK kami along time ago, rude din yung mga server sa restaurant doon sa amin pero nakita ko pag puti ang customer, hindi naman.

Offline ris

« Reply #8669 on: November 01, 2018, 01:37:11 AM »

talaga?  akala ko part na ang tawaran sa HK culture.  well, sa mga electronics products.  from what i remembered during my trips before sa HK, naturally rude lang talaga ang mga taga HK.  parang ugali na nila yun.  di nila sinasadya na maging rude.  parang normal attitude nila ang ganon.  mukha lang rude pero ganun lang talaga sila. 

Nung nasa HK kami along time ago, rude din yung mga server sa restaurant doon sa amin pero nakita ko pag puti ang customer, hindi naman.

baka extra nice lang pag puti.  tapos normal pag hindi puti.  lol

yung barricade ba sa EDSA nag apply parin ang 50 meter rule?  kasi parang sobra naman yung rule na yun.  inatras na nga ang pag liko mo tapos may 50 meter pa na rule.  the 50 meter rule that i meant is that you cannot change lanes if you are less than 50 meters away from the intersection.  nahuli ako ng mmda kasi.  i was actually more than 50 meters away.  so i argued with them.  i told them that i know that and i changed lanes 50 meters before.  paiba iba pa nga ang presyo ng violation na sinasabi nya.  reckless na daw ako and other different violations.  in the end, pumayag na ako dapat sa 150php ticket.  pero binalik din nya sakin lisensya ko at sinabihan na magpa "merienda" nalang daw ako.  so im actually wondering if i got fooled into just giving him money since you do not need to be 50 meters away from the plastic barricade before changing lanes.  ito yung mga U-turn slots sa EDSA. 
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8670 on: November 01, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
baka extra nice lang pag puti.  tapos normal pag hindi puti.  lol
lacists! :lol:

Offline ris

« Reply #8672 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
anybody tried this?

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/seaoil-p300-discount-voucher-i253008731-s346969189.html?spm=a2o4l.seller.list.1.15682c78FB7tg1&mp=1

naka kuha ako nyan ng free.  galing olx.  checked waze for the cheapest gas station near me and that station didnt accept them at the time.  went back a few weeks later and they still do not accept them.  better to ask first if they do accept coupons.  mine were digital coupons btw.  might be different in this case.  buti nalang libre ang akin kaya di sayang kung di ko gamitin
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8674 on: November 04, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
baka meron sa inyo gusto subukan magluto ng chicken schnitzel yan ang gawa ko at yung recipe.  :happy:

Chicken Schnitzel Recipe

1. Cut chicken breast fillet diagonally at the center to create 2 pieces.
2. Cover chicken breasts with parchment paper or cling film and use rolling pin or kitchen mallet to flatten flattening the meat ensures all parts gets cooked equally.
3. Prepare the bread crumb and herb mixture. Place bread crumbs (panko or white bread crumbs), basil, thyme and rosemary leaves in blender and blitz until they are mixed well.
4. Prepare the breading station. Place seasoned flour (flour with salt and ground pepper) on a dish, then beaten eggs on another shallow bowl or dish, then the breadcrumb mixture on another dish.
5. Coat a chicken piece on the flour and pat away the excess, dip it in the beaten egg until every surface is coated, then allow to chicken to drip a bit before covering it in the breadcrumb mixture.
6. Shake away excess crumbs before frying the chicken piece in hot oil (not necessary to deep fry). Cook one side until itís golden brown, flip it, then add a knob of butter to the pan and scoop the oil and butter mixture with a spoon and then pour it on the chicken. This is known as basting and it will help keep the chicken moist. Cook until the side underneath is golden brown. Rest the pieces on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
7. Serve with rice, pasta or salad.

Offline altec

« Reply #8675 on: November 04, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »
altec's schnitzel recipe:

drive to santi's
order goulash, not schnitzel.
enjoy! 

:) :wub:

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8676 on: November 04, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »
huh. it's the first time i've encountered the word "goulash." after googling it, i think i'll try making it if i can substitute chicken for beef so that i won't get gout. :lol:

thanks!

Offline altec

« Reply #8677 on: November 04, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
Is your gout really that bad sephi? With you being a bit of a gourmand, may i humbly reccomend that you try it out. =)  The hungarian national dish. and for a reason.

EDIT: Wait lemme find a pic from my phone to get your imagination going...

EDIT 2: di ko makita =/. Comes with p-l-a-i-n but delicious pasta (as rice substitute) with some olive oil, and buttered veggies.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8678 on: November 04, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »
i only get gouty arthritis attacks a few times a year (often after a few consecutive days of eating forbidden food) but i'd rather not experience the pain so i try to be on a diet. :lol:

yeah i'll try that. thanks!

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #8679 on: November 04, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »
Which credit card has the lowest exchange rate if you're going to use it in the US? BPI? BDO? Visa/Mastercard?