Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 457502 times)

Offline borgy_t

• challenge accepted
Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8480 on: August 05, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »
back in the linux distro game. what is a good KDE based distro to use? i want to run the latest KDE plasma version, sadly kubuntu doesn't seem to have that yet. i am using mint 19 now. very stable, elegant... but getting boring, also cinnamon is a bit bloated.
my laptop has hybrid amd graphics which just missed out on the amdgpu supported list cutoff so i am gonna use radeon open source driver.

EDIT: this is for general and dev usage - i'm looking for the following to work:
- playing netflix videos over firefox (i believe this is easy to do even outside ubuntu)- viber and whatsapp client installation- java development, postgresql DB (this should be easy to setup with most distros really)- nice fonts (i believe ubuntu has the best fonts, but feel free to educate me)- spotify is not an essential but nice to have
- of course considerable customization, hence KDE
Intel Core i5-4440 w/ Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS 2.0 | Asus B85M-G | Zotac Geforce GTX960 2GB (128-bit) | G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Dell U2311H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline altec

« Reply #8481 on: August 05, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
Pop quiz: there are a few hobby and pro woodworkers now locally who have Scandinavian style workbenches.

So what are the holes on the top used for? Any guesses :) ?

B
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
fhtagn

Offline lahar

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8484 on: August 06, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
is there a forwarding service from Japan to Ph? like, i order from Hareruya, Hareruya delivers it to them who forwards the goods to Ph? thanks!

Offline lahar

« Reply #8485 on: August 06, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
is there a forwarding service from Japan to Ph? like, i order from Hareruya, Hareruya delivers it to them who forwards the goods to Ph? thanks!

I don't think so. Can the company not send the items directly to you?

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8486 on: August 06, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »

they apparently use postal service, which from what i've been reading is quite horrible. the items me and a group of people wanna order is a bunch of Magic cards, so it can be of enough value that people don't wanna risk postal service.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8487 on: August 06, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »

they apparently use postal service, which from what i've been reading is quite horrible. the items me and a group of people wanna order is a bunch of Magic cards, so it can be of enough value that people don't wanna risk postal service.

https://www.unbox.ph/editorials/5-tips-and-tricks-when-online-shopping-overseas/

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8488 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
Finally got around to fixing my lazy-ass OpenVPN config.
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8489 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

https://www.unbox.ph/editorials/5-tips-and-tricks-when-online-shopping-overseas/
i will send that to the other guys who wanna order. thanks!

Offline jester

• sowoneul marhaebwa
« Reply #8490 on: August 07, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
Madalas nagorder friends ko sa Hareruya, just choose EMS over International epacket. Mas mahal pero sure na dumarating.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8491 on: August 08, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
noted. i'll forward your suggestion as well. thanks!

usually kasi nag oorder kami sa ABU Games sa US. eh mataas ang exchange rate so nag suggest ako baka pwede sa Hareruya.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #8492 on: August 12, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »
On a whim, I checked my router's intrusion blocking security logs only to find out the firewall was hit with the ICMP Blacknurse attack. I guess that explains the intermittent internet access yesterday. Things seem back to normal now. Fingers crossed.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8493 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
f*cking PLDT.

last month i didn't receive the bill so i thought of just paying for last month and this month when this month's bill arrives. yesterday my internet suddenly went out. when i called 171 i got a response that my internet was cut because of unpaid bills. what the hell. this is the first time in decades that happened. i didn't know there was a change in policy.

i had to goto a PLDT center that's not so near my place to ensure my bill gets settled properly, and after 2 hours internet was restored.

just when i thought PLDT can't get me any more disappointed with their slow and expensive internet, they had to give me that nasty surprise.

i was not surprised that when i went to the PLDT center there were a lot of people there who apparently had the same problem.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8494 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
^ Yeah we were bitten by that once too back when we had DSL. The delivery guy on our area sux and sometimes he'd pool 2-3 months worth of bills before actually delivering them. Coincided with PLDT's change in policy where internet is immediately cut after going past due.

fhtagn

Offline AJ

• sudo make me a sandwich
« Reply #8495 on: August 15, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
The delivery guy on our area sux and sometimes he'd pool 2-3 months worth of bills before actually delivering them

wtf!

Is he serious?? That's now how mail delivery works!

Offline ris

« Reply #8496 on: August 15, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
f*cking PLDT.

last month i didn't receive the bill so i thought of just paying for last month and this month when this month's bill arrives. yesterday my internet suddenly went out. when i called 171 i got a response that my internet was cut because of unpaid bills. what the hell. this is the first time in decades that happened. i didn't know there was a change in policy.

i had to goto a PLDT center that's not so near my place to ensure my bill gets settled properly, and after 2 hours internet was restored.

just when i thought PLDT can't get me any more disappointed with their slow and expensive internet, they had to give me that nasty surprise.

i was not surprised that when i went to the PLDT center there were a lot of people there who apparently had the same problem.

mabilis talaga magputol ng net si pldt.  lolz!  you could try opting for the email billing if you want.  from what i know, pwede ka mag email at postal mail na bills ng pldt.  may dumadating parin na paper bill sakin kahit nag email na din si pldt ng digital copy.  maybe that could be an option for you.  register ka nalang din siguro sa website nila to view your bills online
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline ris

« Reply #8497 on: August 15, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
got an email from robinsons rewards for VIP day.  the email was received TODAY at 10am.  it was for the VIP day YESTERDAY... lolz
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8498 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »
^ Yeah we were bitten by that once too back when we had DSL. The delivery guy on our area sux and sometimes he'd pool 2-3 months worth of bills before actually delivering them. Coincided with PLDT's change in policy where internet is immediately cut after going past due.
i wonder why the change in their policy, though. it just infuriates subscribers, from what could tell from the guy in front of me in the line because he was also complaining about the same thing, and i have also overheard other people talk about it. it seems many were affected because the bill didn't arrive last month in my area.

mabilis talaga magputol ng net si pldt.  lolz!  you could try opting for the email billing if you want.  from what i know, pwede ka mag email at postal mail na bills ng pldt.  may dumadating parin na paper bill sakin kahit nag email na din si pldt ng digital copy.  maybe that could be an option for you.  register ka nalang din siguro sa website nila to view your bills online
may pinapadala naman sa phone ko via text na bill, pero mas prefer ko na dalin yung paper bill sa bayaran para sure. next time di dumating eh no choice ako yung text sa phone ko pagbabasehan ko.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8499 on: August 15, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
i wonder why the change in their policy, though. it just infuriates subscribers, from what could tell from the guy in front of me in the line because he was also complaining about the same thing, and i have also overheard other people talk about it. it seems many were affected because the bill didn't arrive last month in my area.

may pinapadala naman sa phone ko via text na bill, pero mas prefer ko na dalin yung paper bill sa bayaran para sure. next time di dumating eh no choice ako yung text sa phone ko pagbabasehan ko.

I think around 2014 (perhaps even earlier because that was the time I got back to the Philippines and resumed paying for our PLDT subscription) nung nagsimula silang maging strict sa deadline. I remember in 2011-2012, I can let the subsciption go into arrears for a max of 3 months before they cut the service.

Anyway, also experienced non-receipt of billing last June, only to be slapped a 2 month bill and a warning. I think the ongoing dispute between PLDT management and contractuals and DOLE is taking a toll on their services.