Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 474934 times)

Offline lahar

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8280 on: May 03, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
Earliest known hominin activity in the Philippines by 709 thousand years ago

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0072-8

ABSTRACT

Over 60 years ago, stone tools and remains of megafauna were discovered on the Southeast Asian islands of Flores, Sulawesi and Luzon, and a Middle Pleistocene colonization by Homo erectus was initially proposed to have occurred on these islands1,2,3,4. However, until the discovery of Homo floresiensis in 2003, claims of the presence of archaic hominins on Wallacean islands were hypothetical owing to the absence of in situ fossils and/or stone artefacts that were excavated from well-documented stratigraphic contexts, or because secure numerical dating methods of these sites were lacking. As a consequence, these claims were generally treated with scepticism5. Here we describe the results of recent excavations at Kalinga in the Cagayan Valley of northern Luzon in the Philippines that have yielded 57 stone tools associated with an almost-complete disarticulated skeleton of Rhinoceros philippinensis, which shows clear signs of butchery, together with other fossil fauna remains attributed to stegodon, Philippine brown deer, freshwater turtle and monitor lizard. All finds originate from a clay-rich bone bed that was dated to between 777 and 631 thousand years ago using electron-spin resonance methods that were applied to tooth enamel and fluvial quartz. This evidence pushes back the proven period of colonization6 of the Philippines by hundreds of thousands of years, and furthermore suggests that early overseas dispersal in Island South East Asia by premodern hominins took place several times during the Early and Middle Pleistocene stages1,2,3,4. The Philippines therefore may have had a central role in southward movements into Wallacea, not only of Pleistocene megafauna7, but also of archaic hominins.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8281 on: May 03, 2018, 06:44:42 PM »
^ That's pretty awesome.

In other awesome stuff, the new W10 update brings with it a nice new feature of per-app sound devices.
fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #8282 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »
Buwayahman's blog is rather entertaining for me. My Read in a long bus ride: https://buwayahman.wordpress.com/
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline altec

« Reply #8283 on: May 04, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
Gist of the video: he went home and became a family man. Nice wife and kids. *Plays gin blossom's 29*

https://www.facebook.com/greatbigstory/videos/154322561901660/
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline lahar

« Reply #8284 on: May 04, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I really am getting old. Excepting pro-photogs covering the event, does anybody else bring a dedicated camera (P&S, DSLR, etc.) to events? I attended a conference and I asked my colleague to take my photo with my P&S Ixus while I make a presentation and he balked that I was still using one and not a smartfone.

Offline AJ

• sudo make me a sandwich
« Reply #8285 on: May 04, 2018, 09:28:50 AM »
Nowadays, comparable na yung latest smartphones with older P&S and SLRs. I still have Canon 400D (purchased 2008) with 70-200 L lens. super bihira ko gamitin. Pag magarang event lang nailalabas. I also have Lumix (forgot the model) purchased 2009. Bihira na rin magamit.

Sa ngayon iPhone6 and iPhone8 pwede na sa photos. hi-res, super crisp colors, easy edits, tapos yung iPhone may portrait mode na pang-gaya ng bokeh.

So yeah, you are getting old. Come join the bandwagon na. lolz

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #8286 on: May 04, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
...also smartphones take awesome 1080p@60fps or even 4K if your memory permits.
STILL! PQ of any smarphone is no matched for a good DSLR sepcially when taking bokelicious pics & in low lighting, yeah pictures are ok when viewed on that tiny screen but when uploaded to the big screen there lies the difference.

Smartphone  - convienince & ok to good photos
DSLR - event's, low lighting, bokeh-bokeh-bokeh & the that urge to peep into the view finder hehehe
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8287 on: May 07, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
what i cooked for breakfast: spaghetti al pomodoro.

not in the picture: the leftover chicken McDo from last night that i just reheated for breakfast also. :lol:

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8288 on: May 07, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »
I really am getting old. Excepting pro-photogs covering the event, does anybody else bring a dedicated camera (P&S, DSLR, etc.) to events? I attended a conference and I asked my colleague to take my photo with my P&S Ixus while I make a presentation and he balked that I was still using one and not a smartfone.
We still bring our 10MP Sony Cybershot to family events. A tripod is always in the car boot as well. Still takes better quality pictures than any smartphone IMO. Everyone always jokes that it'll take a year for the photos to get uploaded and tagged in fb.

I guess everyone prefers smartphones over cameras not because of the quality but because it's faster to upload to fb or ig.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #8289 on: May 07, 2018, 01:59:10 PM »
@Sep
tyaga mo talagang magluto hehehe
dati ganyan din ako, it will take almost hours from prep to garnish to cooking - tapos ganon lang hahaha
take out service is prevailant na rin dito sa china kaya tinatamad na rin ako nowadays, sa factory nalang ako nag luluto, usually beef stew in a pressure cooker.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8290 on: May 07, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »
madali lang naman gumawa ng pasta dish. kalimitan mga 30 mins lang tapos na. ang matagal yung kailangan i-bake o yung kailangan gumawa from scratch ng fresh pasta.

ang technical at matagal para sa akin japanese food. di ako ginaganahan gawin. kaya sa sa resto na lang ako kumakain ng gyoza at ramen.
:lol:

Offline wheelee

« Reply #8291 on: May 07, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »
AH! buti may malapit na Ajisen sa may amin hehehe
or I buy this
pork broth

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8292 on: May 07, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
walang kwenta instant ramen dito sa pinas.

dinalahan ako ng pasalubong ng friend ko na galing japan.

ichiran instant ramen galing sa sikat na resto sa japan. di ko pa nga lang nasusubukan kasi kaka gout ko lang 1 week ago ayaw ko naman magka gout uli.
:lol:

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #8293 on: May 07, 2018, 09:59:16 PM »
finally getting to apply my java/spring work experience into a side project i actually enjoy.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Zotac Geforce GTX960 2GB (128-bit) | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8294 on: May 11, 2018, 12:39:59 AM »
US trade sanctions just killed ZTE:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/the-trump-administration-just-forced-smartphone-maker-zte-to-shut-down/

One of the leading Chinese smartphone makers, ZTE, is shutting down global operations in the face of crippling sanctions levied by the US government. ZTE is China's number-two smartphone maker, and as recently as last year it was the number-four smartphone vendor in the US.

"The major operating activities of the Company have ceased," ZTE wrote in a Wednesday announcement to stock market traders in Hong Kong.
fhtagn

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #8295 on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
Nowadays, comparable na yung latest smartphones with older P&S and SLRs. I still have Canon 400D (purchased 2008) with 70-200 L lens. super bihira ko gamitin. Pag magarang event lang nailalabas. I also have Lumix (forgot the model) purchased 2009. Bihira na rin magamit.

Sa ngayon iPhone6 and iPhone8 pwede na sa photos. hi-res, super crisp colors, easy edits, tapos yung iPhone may portrait mode na pang-gaya ng bokeh.

So yeah, you are getting old. Come join the bandwagon na. lolz

akin na lang yung 400D and 70-200 mo :) for sure gamit na gamit yan hehehehe
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #8296 on: May 11, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
got a text from an un-saved but known number yesterday.  i only saw a bit of the message because it was just a notif that popped up while the phone was mounted to help me navigate...and the only thing that registered was

"sir kamusta na po yung chapter 1?"

and my immediate reaction was "which chapter 1?" ...when i was able to stop and read the message properly, it was from the publisher who was asking for an update on the book i'm working on...it wasn't from my panel who was asking about the dissertation LOL
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline wheelee

« Reply #8297 on: May 11, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
US trade sanctions just killed ZTE:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/the-trump-administration-just-forced-smartphone-maker-zte-to-shut-down/

One of the leading Chinese smartphone makers, ZTE, is shutting down global operations in the face of crippling sanctions levied by the US government. ZTE is China's number-two smartphone maker, and as recently as last year it was the number-four smartphone vendor in the US.

"The major operating activities of the Company have ceased," ZTE wrote in a Wednesday announcement to stock market traders in Hong Kong.

this will just push the chinese to develop their own chips/ mcu/ cpu then in the end who will have the last laugh

Offline calvin

« Reply #8298 on: May 12, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
Is my mouse busted or is anyone else having problems with the third/wheel mouse button after the latest Windows update.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #8299 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
Is my mouse busted or is anyone else having problems with the third/wheel mouse button after the latest Windows update.
hmmmn. I just shrugged it off as my mouse being old, *but* I'm also having mid-click issues, need to press it firmly (or press it again to register),  -- signs of wear, but if somebody else have the same issue, then maybe it's not hardware related  -- and yes, I just upgraded to 1803 when this happened.
jeremypv