Author Topic: Wireless data speed not same as wired data speed  (Read 385 times)

Offline egzbuen

Wireless data speed not same as wired data speed
« on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:10 PM »

Hi.

Hope someone can help me with my Sky broadband wifi issue.

I am on a 100mbps plan. However,  the wifi speed I am getting is not the same as the speed of wired devices. When wired devices hit 100mbps, mobile devices only hit 50. If wired devices hit 65, mobile devices only get 15mbps at most.

Am I missing anything here with my worelessnsetup?

Thanks

Offline lahar

Re: Wireless data speed not same as wired data speed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
Pretty much the same experience.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:14:49 AM »
Does it matter if you're on 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz?
I guess it's noticeable when you get to a certain speed only. I'm on a 25Mbps plan and, if Speedtest is to be believed, internet speed between 1 of our PCs wired directly to the modem and all our other devices connected wirelessly to a separate router are the same.
https://buildhomenetworks.com/why-is-wifi-speed-slower-than-wired/

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »
Yup, sounds about par for the course for wireless. Wireless is teh suck.

Anandtech real-world wireless AC test results. At just 20 feet away devices have slowed down to ~20Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, or ~50Mbps on 5GHz despite a theoretical bandwidth of 1300Mbps.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7127/the-joys-of-80211ac-wifi/2

With wireless you have to understand that the listed speed is the total available bandwidth to be shared among all the wireless devices, and that's under perfect conditions, plus it's half-duplex.

Mesh wifi devices have improved this greatly because the better ones use a dedicated channel to communicate among themselves, and because you have multiple access points there's more bandwidth available to be shared across wireless devices.
fhtagn

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »
If I speedtest Skybroadband on my PC (wired) I get 90-100 down / 5 up, and my Note 10+ gets the same thing over wifi (via an ASUS RT-AC87U) in a room, so I think it depends on the hardware...
i9-9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus RGB 32Gb DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb, Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb, Crucial MX100-512Gb SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD, Crucial BX500 1Tb x2, Sony KDL 43X8500G, GMX 2.1, Lian-Li PC-011 Air, Corsair H150i Pro, Corsair LL-120x6, LG Bluray

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
If I speedtest Skybroadband on my PC (wired) I get 90-100 down / 5 up, and my Note 10+ gets the same thing over wifi (via an ASUS RT-AC87U) in a room, so I think it depends on the hardware...

Are you using the 5ghz channel of the router?

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
Just to add, I dont think distance to wifi router is my problem as I get the same results whether I am in the room or right beside my router.

One more thing, since the location of my router is pretty efficient, as ir technically blankets the whole condo with wifi xoverage, does this mean I sont need a mesh system and I should simply upgrate to a dual band router to be able to utiloze the 5ghz channel?

Thanks

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »
I should simply upgrate to a dual band router to be able to utiloze the 5ghz channel?

Yes, definitely. Any decent AC class router from the last 3-5 years (check smallnetbuilder for recommendations, but the Asus AC68U is popular) should improve your wireless speeds.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 11:41:09 PM »
Are you using the 5ghz channel of the router?

Most likely, yes. i do not think 2.4Ghz goes that high.
i9-9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus RGB 32Gb DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb, Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb, Crucial MX100-512Gb SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD, Crucial BX500 1Tb x2, Sony KDL 43X8500G, GMX 2.1, Lian-Li PC-011 Air, Corsair H150i Pro, Corsair LL-120x6, LG Bluray

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »
I should simply upgrate to a dual band router to be able to utiloze the 5ghz channel?

Yes, definitely. Any decent AC class router from the last 3-5 years (check smallnetbuilder for recommendations, but the Asus AC68U is popular) should improve your wireless speeds.

Checking the price of the Asus AC68U, its PhP7200. On the other hand, the TP-Link M4 Deco is PhP8150. It seems like I just need a dual band router now and not a mesh system. But at those price points, would the m4 Deco be a better option?

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 07:00:02 AM »
I don't have any experience with mesh systems.

Lazada.ph has the netgear r6400 and tp-link archer ax50 priced around PhP6-6.5k. The netgear r6400 was once the top-rated ac1750 router on smallnetbuilder, and should still be fast enough for several AC devices.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
has anyone tries any of the AX series routers? sabi nila mas OK daw ito kesa sa mga mesh

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/routers/ax3-dual-core/

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
Consider that while 5GHz has faster data transfer, it has a shorter range. I still use 2.4GHz on my device that supports 5GHz because wireless signal drops when I'm downstairs.

Anyways, my router is a lowly Tenda AC7 so your experience may vary with the pricier routers.

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
Consider that while 5GHz has faster data transfer, it has a shorter range. I still use 2.4GHz on my device that supports 5GHz because wireless signal drops when I'm downstairs.

Anyways, my router is a lowly Tenda AC7 so your experience may vary with the pricier routers.

Noted on this buddy but it might not be an issue (for me) in a 125 sqm condo unit. My current single band router blankets the whole space with very good signal. Speed lang talaga issue

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 01:32:38 PM »
has anyone tries any of the AX series routers? sabi nila mas OK daw ito kesa sa mga mesh

Completely different things IMO. AX is WiFi6, the replacement for AC. The big difference is MU-MIMO transmission on the uplink, and concurrent transmission to multiple receivers instead of time-sharing (which should be great for gaming).

Mesh routers are sort of an integrated router-repeater system that you don't need to wire up. Eventually we'll get Mesh routers that use AX.

If your problem is getting sufficient signal in rooms too far or with too many dividers away from the router getting a single new AX router isn't going to do much to help. It also won't help until you upgrade all of your current wireless devices to AX

Noted on this buddy but it might not be an issue (for me) in a 125 sqm condo unit. My current single band router blankets the whole space with very good signal. Speed lang talaga issue

If you have good signal and not too many devices competing for bandwidth this becomes a bigger mystery lol
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 06:38:25 PM »
I think, apart from using 5GHz, both the router and the clients should have 2x2 or 4x4 5GHz radios and 80MHz or 160MHz channel bandwidth support to reach higher wireless speeds at reasonable ranges.

Prior to going fiber optic 10Gbe, I had a wireless setup with a ASUS RT-AC88U wifi router and a PC equipped with a PCE-AC88 4x4 802.11ac WiFi adapter in the next room at 80MHz channel width and with 1024QAM enabled. The connection speed was usually at 1.3Gbps.

For the most part, my tablet, smartphone and laptop have lesser WiFI capabilities and can only negotiate at most, 866.7Mbps connections with the wifi router.

I tried out the built-in WLAN of my Z390 motherboard which has an Intel AC9560 160MHz with a 2x2 antenna and I got 1.7Gbps connection on the same computer.

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »

Completely different things IMO. AX is WiFi6, the replacement for AC. The big difference is MU-MIMO transmission on the uplink, and concurrent transmission to multiple receivers instead of time-sharing (which should be great for gaming).

Mesh routers are sort of an integrated router-repeater system that you don't need to wire up. Eventually we'll get Mesh routers that use AX.

If your problem is getting sufficient signal in rooms too far or with too many dividers away from the router getting a single new AX router isn't going to do much to help. It also won't help until you upgrade all of your current wireless devices to AX

If you have good signal and not too many devices competing for bandwidth this becomes a bigger mystery lol

Yes. Exactly my point. The devices that connect wirelessly to the 100mbps connection are just 2 mobile phones and a media player for IPTV streaming.

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 11:17:18 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Pulled the trigger already on a Deco m5 3pc system.

Problem solved. Wired and wireless speeda are exactly the same now.