Author Topic: Building PCs for Charity  (Read 597 times)

Offline jorussic

• Moderators
    • My LinkedIn Profile
Building PCs for Charity
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:05:07 PM »
Hello menyeks!
It's been a while since I've posted here, and I do this now with a purpose.

Due to the COVID-19 situation, I am now several months unemployed. With the coming school year going online, I needed to provide a rig for my daughter for her Zoom class. Fortunately, my sister had an old Haswell rig somewhere with a few parts missing. Without any solid income, and with bills stacking up, I took a chance and asked our fellow PPCers thru FB if they have parts that aren't being used anymore.
Through the grace of God, a few have helped me out to complete my daughter's rig! Very, very special thanks to:
  • TNT2bluz
  • slide
  • mecha50
  • borgy_t
  • dom_08
  • Alan
Now that I have experienced this, I want to pay it forward by asking other members of PPC if they have unused parts/rigs that they would like to donate, and maybe we can build the PCs and give them to either charity or those who need them here as well. What do you guys think?

Offline dom_08

• Moderators
  • Dom Dycaico
Re: Building PCs for Charity
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:18:14 PM »
Was able to send out some parts for friends already (sayang may nauna na when you posted in FB). 

but to my memory therre are stil some parts lying around back in Antipolo, but mostly sira na.

ASUS X79 Deluxe (i burned the BIOS for some reason, never work on BIOS updates past 2am)
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (receiving power and has lights, but nothing happens when i press the power button on the board or on the case)
x79 oem motherboard (Alienware) with Xeon 2660.  while we were trying to fire up the other ASUS 2 boards, one of the capacitors fell off. 

maybe someone is more patient than me who can make use of these.  lga2011 basic xeon processors are cheap sa lazada btw. 

I'll ask my brother if he's ready to let go of his i5 750 processor and mobo unit. 

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:51 AM »
We need to set up some sort of repository and a central assembly location for a volunteer.  There comes a point that transporting a component may cost more than the actual thing.

So we need to get pledges for parts in say System 1, System 2, System 3 etc., then once they are complete, arrange for shipping for assembly.  Then have said person run their

We start with a mainboard and fill in the components.  A google sheet perhaps?

And folks, it helps to only donate parts that work.  Intentions being good and all, it helps that people only volunteer parts they have tested to work or remember as working to the best of their ability.
come on Toshi!

Offline bryan

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
I'm gonna check our stock rooms at the office to see if there are older workstations that are below the minimum requirements of our campaigns.
SSDD

Offline jpidro

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:35:20 PM »
I have 8 units of: AOC 16" LCD Monitor / USB Powered / VGA only - should be all functional. Only issue is we drilled holes on its plastic stand and needs cleaning.

Then a couple of Celeron-based mobo+CPU+RAM with a case that's not booting up. I was thinking of salvaging them to a complete build but I don't have the time. I could send it if somebody can lead the project.

Offline jorussic

• Moderators
    • My LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 12:20:17 AM »
I started a simple spreadsheet for the parts that people may want to donate. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rbP3A2Jq8AwanEIJmyZaqarNfvx83AQYlHhaKRkOO10/edit?usp=sharing

All the menyeks need to do is to put in the parts they want into the system that fits, if applicable. People can start with their own systems too.

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
meron din gumagawa ng same para sa charity sa pdvd

https://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=132806.new#new