Author Topic: Problem with uGreen KVM Switch  (Read 238 times)

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
Problem with uGreen KVM Switch
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
long time no post (here) so please pardon my ignorance

I got me a uGreen KVM switch linked below so I can easily switch between two computers with a single monitor/keyboard/mouse setup.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/ugreen-usb-kvm-switch-box-2-port-vga-video-sharing-adapter-2-in-1-out-manual-switcher-with-usb-cables-for-computer-pc-laptop-desktop-monitor-printer-keyboard-mouse-control-intl-i170318446-s212542608.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.1.2203190741OkJM&search=1

basic specs of the 2 systems

big PC
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
GeForce 8800 GT (PCI-e) DVI Out

mini PC
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel HD4000 (onboard video) VGA Out

monitor is a Samsung 920NW 1440X900 (16:10), 60Hz

all systems have their drivers updated (including the monitor)

the problem i'm encountering is rather simple but i can't seem to wrap my head around it.  both computers share the same monitor/keyboard/mouse using the uGreen KVM switch.  as should be the case, both systems are set to the proper settings for the monitor (manually selected in windows: 1440X900, 60Hz).  on the big PC, it works fine but when i use the mini pc, i get an error message on the monitor saying "not optimum mode" and it's sort of telling me to set the system to 1440X900, 60Hz.  if i plug the monitor directly and not go through the switch, everything works fine on the mini pc.  i even tried using the hdmi output and used a hdmi to vga converter but it still gives the same error even if the hdmi output is set to 1440X900, 60Hz.  i bought the switch specifically to easily switch between two pc's and it's a pain to unplug the monitor cables over and over just to make it work.  when i set the mini pc to run at 800X600 (safe mode) or 1024X768, it works fine but running a 4:3 setting on a 16:10 monitor makes things look wonky and funky.  i've tried switching the vga ports and even usb cables but to no avail.  has anyone encountered a similar problem or has any experience with these?  hoping for suggestions and help.  thanks very much!
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline WallyWest

Re: Problem with uGreen KVM Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Have you tried booting up each PC with the monitor switched to it?
Switch monitor via KVM to big PC then boot up big PC.
Switch monitor via KVM to mini PC then boot up mini PC.

Found this related to your HD4000 integrated graphics. Kinda old though. There's a registry mod involved.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/HD-4000-reverts-to-1024-X-768-when-using-KVM/td-p/257302

Offline lahar

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
My hunch is the monitor getting is confused having 2 signal cables (DVI and VGA) plugged in. My Samsung monitor gets wonky too when both DVI and VGA cables are attached. I have to remove either first to get it to work.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:50:36 PM »
I think WallyWest might have the right of this.

In case the solution doesn't work, an alternative would be to download QRes, and then create a batchfile to re-set the resolution to native like:
Code: [Select]
C:\path_to_qres\Qres.exe /x:1440 /y:900
Put a shortcut to it on the Desktop so you can reset resolution with a double click, additionally bind it to a custom hotkey. Or just pin it to the Taskbar and use the automatically numbered hotkeys to run it whenever. (First item on your taskbar is Win+1, second item is Win+2, etc.).
fhtagn

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
ok...did a bit more thinking and fiddling and I resolved it but the solution got me scratching my head.  It was a case of VGA cables.  here's the thing:  I have two old VGA cables (more than a decade old) and two new VGA cables (recently ordered from Lazada).

the mini PC only works if the vga cable it uses to connect to the switch is the old VGA cable...and consequently, the cable from the switch to the monitor is also an old cable.  If I use an old cable from the mini PC to the switch but a new cable from the switch to the monitor, the mini PC doesn't work.  If I use a new cable from the mini PC to the switch but an old cable to the monitor, then the mini PC still doesn't work.  it only likes the old cables.  the big PC doesn't mind which cables get used.

So I'm left to wonder...what's up with the mini PC only liking the older cables?  did the specs of VGA cables change over time?  anyhow, it works now...didn't think it would be like this but the idea of tinkering with the cables didn't make sense at first which is why I didn't go for it before the other solutions.

thanks so much for your patience!
Make yourself heard
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:09:56 PM »
My hunch is the monitor getting is confused having 2 signal cables (DVI and VGA) plugged in. My Samsung monitor gets wonky too when both DVI and VGA cables are attached. I have to remove either first to get it to work.
It only gets one signal at a time because it only has one VGA input and that is settled by having the switch send only one video signal at a time.
Make yourself heard

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
ok...did a bit more thinking and fiddling and I resolved it but the solution got me scratching my head.  It was a case of VGA cables.  here's the thing:  I have two old VGA cables (more than a decade old) and two new VGA cables (recently ordered from Lazada).

the mini PC only works if the vga cable it uses to connect to the switch is the old VGA cable...and consequently, the cable from the switch to the monitor is also an old cable.  If I use an old cable from the mini PC to the switch but a new cable from the switch to the monitor, the mini PC doesn't work.  If I use a new cable from the mini PC to the switch but an old cable to the monitor, then the mini PC still doesn't work.  it only likes the old cables.  the big PC doesn't mind which cables get used.

So I'm left to wonder...what's up with the mini PC only liking the older cables?  did the specs of VGA cables change over time?  anyhow, it works now...didn't think it would be like this but the idea of tinkering with the cables didn't make sense at first which is why I didn't go for it before the other solutions.

thanks so much for your patience!

Older cables probably higher quality. VGA is an analog signal so crosstalk and shielding is a big deal especially for longer runs, and going through the KVM switch is effectively extending the length of the cable.
fhtagn