Author Topic: Disinfecting COVID-19 using UV Light  (Read 391 times)

Offline Capcom

Disinfecting COVID-19 using UV Light
« on: May 30, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
Anybody here using UVC light to disinfect their workplace or home ?

and how safe are these portable UVC sterilizers (used for disinfecting mobile phones , currencies and etc) , are there any chance that it may damage our mobile phones in the long run ? like corruption of data , damaging the camera or maybe slowly melt the phones rubber/plastic casing

and direct exposure to UVC Light can really be harmful to the skin and the naked eye , question is mayroon bang lingering radiation sa mga gamit natin after exposing it ? or is UVC just literally light at a specific wavelength
Intel Core i3 9100f, MSI B360M Mortar , 16gb Crucial Ballistix , Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 570 , 512Gb Samsung EVO  ,2x3tb Seagate SV35, FSP Aurum Gold 600w

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: Disinfecting COVID-19 using UV Light
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:29:15 PM »
"All types of UV can cause a photochemical effect within the polymer structure, which can lead to degradation of some sort to the material. The higher energy UVC is the type most likely to affect plastics."

As for lingering radiation there shouldn't be any problem, just take care not to expose yourself to the UVC light. Yes it is just light at a specific wavelength, and it works by literally giving the virus cancer (i.e. damaging the RNA structure that makes it up). UVC is definitely not something us fleshy creatures made up of DNA want to get exposed to.
fhtagn

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:01:08 PM »
I've been thinking about it as well.
But then I thought of the risk of accidental exposure.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
doesn't UV damage the eyes?

Offline lahar