Author Topic: PLDT Fibr  (Read 3239 times)

Offline lahar

Re: PLDT Fibr
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
https://www.yugatech.com/news/pldt-launches-superspeed-internet-upgrade-for-home-fibr-subscribers/#sthash.AbtBXi5N.dpbs

Here is the complete list of available upgrades for qualified PLDT Home Fibr plans:
  PHP 99 up to 50 Mbps for Plan 1699, Plan 1899
  PHP 149 up to 100 Mbps for Plan 2099, Plan 2299, Plan 2399
PHP 199 up to 150 Mbps for Plan 2899, Plan 3099, Plan 3299
PHP 299 up to 300 Mbps  for Plan 4099, Plan 4299

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »
I got a notification for that.

It upgrades you to the next tier up at a discounted rate for the first few months. After that you gotta continue paying the new plan or possibly pay downgrade charges.
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 11:49:06 PM »
the fibr plus plans looks better since they have mesh and cignal included.  do we really need over 50mbps?  my hard drive seems to be having a hard time when i download over 50mbps
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline lahar

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
the fibr plus plans looks better since they have mesh and cignal included.  do we really need over 50mbps?  my hard drive seems to be having a hard time when i download over 50mbps

Took the plunge. Trial ko till January. In our case, 2-3x a week my wife and I are WFH and my son is holding is classes online so sometimes its all 3 of us hogging the bandwidth with Zoom, Meet, Teams and Webex at the same time.

Offline ris

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »

Took the plunge. Trial ko till January. In our case, 2-3x a week my wife and I are WFH and my son is holding is classes online so sometimes its all 3 of us hogging the bandwidth with Zoom, Meet, Teams and Webex at the same time.

which plan did you get?

Offline lahar

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 04:30:53 AM »

which plan did you get?

Trialing the 50Mbps. Seem I'm getting 55Mbps/49MBps on tests, except last night when PLDT went wonky again and YT started going low-res.

Offline motion55

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Internet in Village East, Cainta was down and later unstable for most of yesterday. Landline via VOIP was till up and I got through 171 relatively quickly. In the midst of the call, Youtube went back online. However, there was selective browsing for most of the day. It looks better now. I just upgraded from 30mbps to 50mbps for an additional 500. Instead of upgrading, I was also considering getting another fiber connection from Globe or Converge as backup. Days like yesterday are reasons for that.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »
Internet in Village East, Cainta was down and later unstable for most of yesterday. Landline via VOIP was till up and I got through 171 relatively quickly. In the midst of the call, Youtube went back online. However, there was selective browsing for most of the day. It looks better now. I just upgraded from 30mbps to 50mbps for an additional 500. Instead of upgrading, I was also considering getting another fiber connection from Globe or Converge as backup. Days like yesterday are reasons for that.
Times like these when internet at home is no longer just for entertainment it's better to have 2 medium speed connections than 1 super fast connection. Reliability over speed IMO.

During Ulysses, our 25Mbps Converge went down for 24 hours. Fortunately, PLDT was still up. Even at just 10Mbps, I didn't notice any slowdowns with 3 adults working from home. That's 2 with remote desktop connections and MS Teams, and 1 using Google apps and Zoom.
Recently, I got a cheap load balancing router para nagagamit both ISPs on normal days at para di ko na pinu-problema ang pagswitch over ng family members pag may nagloko sa either ISP.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
I'm using Globe LTE tethering over USB as a backup to my PLDT internet. Globe recently upgraded my data allowance for free which is mighty useful for WFH and Zoom meetings just in case my primary ISP goes down.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
For failover/load-balancing without needing a dual-WAN router:

You can set gateways for both routers in your client PCs, just make sure the interface metric for the preferred router is lower. For load-balancing just set a couple of PCs to default to either gateway (this is actually what most "dumb" load-balancing routers do anyway).

Failover when an ISP goes down clients should automatically go to the other gateway, but might require timeout before it does (since the local network IP is still responding). If you're sure one ISP is down you can just physically power down its modem/router and LAN clients defaulting to it will immediately switch to the other gateway.

Obviously this means LAN clients need to be wired and on static IP.
fhtagn

Offline motion55

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »

My routers are on OpenWRT. With that firmware, adding multi-WAN is relatively easy. It also comes with load balancing options.

Newifi-D2 is a popular cheap gigabit router that can be flashed to OpenWRT.

Sample Shopee vendor here.

https://shopee.ph/Newifi-3-D2-1200Mbps-Dual-Band-Gigabit-WiFi-Router-Access-Point-4*5dBi-Antenna-For-Piso-Wifi-i.281820578.6354884762
"Set your mind free!"

Offline ris

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2020, 07:55:35 AM »
which is a good router to buy to flash with OpenWRT?  is the Newifi-D2 the best choice?  or are there better alternatives?

Offline motion55

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
which is a good router to buy to flash with OpenWRT?  is the Newifi-D2 the best choice?  or are there better alternatives?

I am using these routers with OpenWRT:

1. TP-Link Archer C7 V2
2. Asus RT-AC1300UHP
3. Newifi-D2

On paper, the Asus RT-AC1300UHP should have been the best with its Quad-Core Qaulcomm processor and lots of RAM. Except that wit the current OpenWrt 19.07.3 release, this router tends to hang quite often. The stock firmware seems to be stable but it's so dumbed down for my use that I am just setting it aside waiting for a better OpenWRT firmware release.

The TP-Link Archer C7 was quite stable and runs for months unattended. Lately my ageing TP-Link router (5years) is having issues with losing Wifi. Wired clients are still connected but Wifi just randomly disables. I have to manually reenable Wifi.

So The NeWif-D2 is the main router in 2 places (home and office). It did hang once several months continuous use which
required rebooting. Considering it's 1/2 the price of the Asus and TP-Link routers, it's really bang for the buck.

BTW, I just noticed the new 19.07.4 release. Maybe It'' try it on the Asus.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline ris

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »

I am using these routers with OpenWRT:

1. TP-Link Archer C7 V2
2. Asus RT-AC1300UHP
3. Newifi-D2

On paper, the Asus RT-AC1300UHP should have been the best with its Quad-Core Qaulcomm processor and lots of RAM. Except that wit the current OpenWrt 19.07.3 release, this router tends to hang quite often. The stock firmware seems to be stable but it's so dumbed down for my use that I am just setting it aside waiting for a better OpenWRT firmware release.

The TP-Link Archer C7 was quite stable and runs for months unattended. Lately my ageing TP-Link router (5years) is having issues with losing Wifi. Wired clients are still connected but Wifi just randomly disables. I have to manually reenable Wifi.

So The NeWif-D2 is the main router in 2 places (home and office). It did hang once several months continuous use which
required rebooting. Considering it's 1/2 the price of the Asus and TP-Link routers, it's really bang for the buck.

BTW, I just noticed the new 19.07.4 release. Maybe It'' try it on the Asus.

seems like the Newifi is the best choice for now huh?  especially if i plan to use a vpn on it right?

Offline ris

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
is the one being sold by kimstore any good?  its extremely cheap.

https://shopee.ph/NEWIFI-3-D2-AC1200-Dual-Band-Gigabit-WiFi-Router-i.80090165.3168172529

Offline motion55

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 08:26:24 AM »
^^^Wow that's extremely cheap. At best, it still has the original Chines firmware which you need to jail break. At worse, they are used and refurbished units from Chinese users.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »
deleted

Offline ris

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
^^^Wow that's extremely cheap. At best, it still has the original Chines firmware which you need to jail break. At worse, they are used and refurbished units from Chinese users.

i think it should be new.  kimstore is selling it BOTH on lazada ang shopee.  i will just try to wait for the 12.12 promo to see if it will go down further.  hahaha

seems to be on the original chinese firmware.  now i just need to read up on how to jailbreak it

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 08:15:50 PM »
Seems like openwrt supports it - I'm not familiar with Chinese routers, when you say "jailbreak", is it the same as flashing openwrt on it? Or you need to do some sort of illegal stuff like iphone-jailbreaking?
jeremypv

Offline motion55

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2020, 08:33:33 AM »
There chinese firmware by default does not allow "foreign" firmware from being flashed to it. There are procedures on Youtube to jail-break (their term) the firmware. Weather it's illegal is open for debate. The router enters firmware recovery mode where OpenWRT can be flashed. This of course voids any non-existent warranty.

BTW, I will be buying that ultra cheap router from Kimstore. It's too tempting to pass up.

"Set your mind free!"