Author Topic: MikroTik + Ubiquity Unifi AP Controller  (Read 933 times)

Offline berdugoh

MikroTik + Ubiquity Unifi AP Controller
« on: March 26, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
Do somebody here have experience using this hardware and software?

I am using a Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM us my main router. And I have 9 Ubiquity Unifi LR APs connected to a switch then switch is connected to Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM. Everything is working fine. APs can access internet via Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM router.

The issue is I cannot access or detect the APs via the Ubiquity Controller software.

Can anyone know what's wrong? I don't know if my configuration on my Mikrotik RB3011UiAS-RM is compatible to the controller but APs are working properly. I just can't get them detect on my controller!

HELP!

Offline calvin

Re: MikroTik + Ubiquity Unifi AP Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
you need to create a VLAN to "open" the network for the controller to see the APs.
Mikrotik routers do not allow transparent pass through traffic by default... that's the reason I opted to use Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter instead.

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
Crap! So i need to create VLAN in order for the controller to detect the APs. I thought this will be easy.. Can you guide me with this configuration?.. Thanks!

Offline Capcom

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
hmm i'm running pfsense with around 14 ubuquiti AP's... no problems on the unifi controllers

have you tried a physical reset or ssh reset ( reset to factory default on the AP's ? )
Intel Core i5 2500, Asrock B75 , 8gb Crucial Ballistix , Palit GTX950 2GB , 80Gb Samsung EVO  ,2x3tb Seagate SV35, Razer Krait , FSP Aurum 600w

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »
@Capcom

I have tried resetting everything.. But there is one thing I did not try yet. I think i will try to install and detect the AP using a different computer. In my knowledge Unifi uses the 8080 as the default port on its controller but my existing controller uses a different port which 8443. If this will not work I will try making a VLAN.

@calvin

Thanks for the link! I am newbie when it comes to RouterOS but it is a plus to learn about this configurations.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
I remember setting up a Mikrotik router before. Great stuff but definitely not noob friendly. The default config as it arrived had each eth interface on a different subnet.

If this is the case for you, then yes VLAN to bridge the eth ports is the answer. Another answer (hardware) is to get a switch, plug the switch into the Mikrotik, then plug all your APs and AP controller into the switch. This makes sure the APs and AP controller all end up on the same subnet.

When in doubt, RTFM:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/VLAN#Simple_VLAN_routing
fhtagn

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the help.. I will keep you posted on this matter. After using Mikrotik router for 2 weeks now, i have noticed that internet is much stable now. No sudden drops and what so ever. My old router need to be restarted once every week or so in order to refresh the network

Anyway i suggest to have a special thread for MIKROTIK router configuration. Just for sharing and additional knowledge also.

Thanks!

Offline calvin

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
Yup...
This is one of the things that sets these types of routers over the commercial-SOHO brands...

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »
After several trial and errors and dumb experiments it is finally working!!!!

Offline hungree

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
Hi guys! I was wandering about setting up a WISP. My plan is to supply Internet connection to my few friends within our area. I currently have the ff:

Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD
PLDT Fiber 20mbps

Ano pa kaya ang need ko in terms of device and learning to venture in this kind of business sir?

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
^ You can use Ubiquity Hardwares for this business. Look for their website and check their products.

Offline calvin

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
+1 ^

Ubiquity has a lot of powerful APs for outdoor use and they're relatively cheap.