Author Topic: Replacing HDD to SSD  (Read 508 times)

Offline boom_box

• http://nerv28.multiply.com
Replacing HDD to SSD
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Good day

Ano po sa SSD napili ko ang bagay sa needs ko?
I'm on Win 10 already and my 3 year old Seagate 1TB is already showing signs of bad sectors. Seems like these cheap Seagate HDD are quite questionable quality these days. Anyway, instead of getting a new HDD. Bibili nalang ako ng SSD. Budget ko is hindi yung lalagpas sa 4k Intended for OS only and some certain games. (i.e, PUBG)

So far sa mga local store dito sa amin. Eto lang yung available.
Patriot Blast 240GB - 3750
Team L7 Evo 240GB - 4500
WDC Blue 250GB - 5500

While the rest, dito sa TPC ko nakita though medyo may kamahalan na plus shipping especially yung Samsung 850 EVO 250GB which has lots positive reviews plus a 5 year warranty.

AirChild Virtual supports UNICEF

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Re: Replacing HDD to SSD
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »
At this point, the technology is already mature, and performance for every other SSDs are not noticeable actually (except if you benchmark it), I have an 840EVO from 2014 with 20TB  written already and still am using it now, also have an Intel530 and a two cheap KingstonV300 (for my laptops) and so far what I can tell is it's hella fast (for all of them) and no problems and no noticeable difference on real world use. -- of course I tried to benchmark and the V300 are slow (only on benchmark) but using it is no different from 840EVO and Intel530.

Well, what I'm saying is, unless you do benchmark every hour, just get with something you are Brand loyal to, or get the cheapest, or get the one with the best warranty -- depending on your preference -- they aren't any different nowadays, like comparing Seagate and WD mechanical drives
jeremypv

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
+1

Once you get the SSD, you could RMA the 1 Tera drive if it's still within warranty. That's still a lot of storage.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Offline boom_box

• http://nerv28.multiply.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
@WallyWest

Sadly, I check my serial number at Seagate website and it't already of out-of-warranty.

So for the meantime I'm still gonna use this 1TB HDD for a while and save for another HDD probably a 2TB WDC Blue or a 1TB Seagate 1TB Firecuda SSHD.

As for the SSD. I'm quite skeptical about the cheapest SSD which is the Patriot Blast if it can last for about 2-4 years as a OS drive as there are some mixed reviews about this SSD.

AirChild Virtual supports UNICEF

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:46:19 AM »
Kinda related to the post above.

My current desktop has 4 x 4tb. If I used a ssd as my os drive, is there really significant difference for me specially I mostly do word processing, surfing and torrent downloads (ergo need the space).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AMD X2 7750 Black Edition
Asus M3A78-CM
PC 4670 gddr3 512mb
8gb DDR800
2tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
LG 22x DVD writer

A64 - 3500+
KN1 SLI Extreme
Palit 7300GT 256mb
1GB Kingston ddr400
500GB Seagate SATA II
200GB Seagate IDE
LG DVD Writer LS

Dell Inspiron Notebook
Intel Core Duo

Offline lahar

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
Difference would be faster loading times (you click a dicument and boom immediately). Once its open, its just as before though.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
so since those SSD's are small in size do you just install the OS in the SSD then other software in standard HD or do you also install the software like cad/ photoshop etc. on the SSD?
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Online barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »
A 250GB SSD (~US$100) can easily fit in a whole bunch of apps, or a few AAA games.  Put the OS & programs you use very frequently on it.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
My SSD is only 128GB with OS and all programs on it. Only problem I have is my kid keeps saving her files amd downloads in the "My Documents" folder which fills up the hdd.

I haven't gotten around to getting hard links to work such that files in My Documents will automatically go to my 500GB hdd. So I just tell her to move her files once drive C's status bar starts turning red.

Online theDUD3

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
^ just drag/move the folders from your account in drive c to any drive/location you want.
Ryzen 7 7100 | Fatality ASRock X370 Gaming K4 | 2x8GB Trident Z RGB 3200 | GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD  + 6TB HDD | 27" Dell U2713H @ 2560x1440

Offline calvin

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
My SSD is only 128GB with OS and all programs on it. Only problem I have is my kid keeps saving her files amd downloads in the "My Documents" folder which fills up the hdd.

I haven't gotten around to getting hard links to work such that files in My Documents will automatically go to my 500GB hdd. So I just tell her to move her files once drive C's status bar starts turning red.

Doesn't take long to change the location of your "My Documents" folder...

Right click...
Click on Properties...
Then Click on the "Location" tab...
Click on "Move"...
Choose your desired destination drive...
Click on Apply...
And let Windows do the rest...

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I remembered that I was able to move the My Documents, My Videos, etc. to another HDD a few years ago. When that HDD died, I forgot to transfer (as well as forgotten how) those folders.

No wonder all USB drives that I plug in always end up with a "My Documents" folder after I eject it... The old drive letter of the dead HDD gets assigned to the external drives and Windows keeps linking "My Documents" to it. :lol:

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
ever since my few hd's died on me i moved 'mydocuments' to drive D since drive C is the one that gets corrupted. will be getting the cheapest ssd & a 3tb toshi today.

is it recommended to buy a used ssd? what are the  odds?
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.