Author Topic: RYZEN is here  (Read 1854 times)

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
Re: RYZEN is here
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
Is AMD going to use solder for the RYZEN IHS?

Looks like Ryzen's IHS is Indium soldered.
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
Is AMD going to use solder for the RYZEN IHS?

Looks like Ryzen's IHS is Indium soldered.

Nice!

Offline sandstig

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »
IPC looks like it's going to be lower than Sky Lake and Kaby Lake but on par with Broadwell with moar cores/threads to boot. I just love how Ryzen's pricing is set to not only disrupt but also practically dismantle Intel's entire HEDT line of CPUs. A $250 6-core/12-thread zen CPU actually matching or beating Haswell-E/Broadwell-E $600-1000 CPUs. How cool is that! Can't wait for the 3rd party independent reviews for gaming performance.

Good thing I bought my 4790K 2nd hand. I might make the switch back to AMD this time. I just wish the X370 chipset is as fully featured as the Z270.

I guess I called it, somewhat. Ryzen's lower IPC and clocks made gaming performance a bit of a disappointment but it still offers an excellent value proposition for multi-threaded productivity applications by virtue of its cores/threads and price.

I'm a gamer so Ryzen is a no-go for me.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 04:06:50 AM »
Techreport's scatterplot lays it out:

fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
Kudos to Gamer's Nexus for exposing AMD's misleading shenanigans leading up to the Ryzen launch. They tell it like it is despite the expected backlash from AMD's very vocal supporters. AMD should really stop doing this kind of over-hyping PR and marketing. It really hurts their company in the long run leaving many disappointed in the end.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-8

Offline lahar

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
Kudos to Gamer's Nexus for exposing AMD's misleading shenanigans leading up to the Ryzen launch. They tell it like it is despite the expected backlash from AMD's very vocal supporters. AMD should really stop doing this kind of over-hyping PR and marketing. It really hurts their company in the long run leaving many disappointed in the end.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-8
So its too good to be true then? Best to stick with Intel then?

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

Depends on what you mainly want to do with the CPU.

If we're talking about Kaby Lake vs. Zen and you need the best CPU performance for gaming and other IPC and clockspeed hungry tasks, then yes, stick with Intel. This is an area where the new Ryzen CPUs have poor value and are overpriced.

For heavily threaded workloads such as CPU-based rendering, transcoding and similar professional applications, Ryzen is apparently on-par or better performing than Intel's premium HEDT CPUs with similar core-counts while severely undercutting the latter in price.

If you ask me, for the price, an overclocked Intel Core i7 7700K 4-core/8-thread GPU is a great all-rounder for typical consumer workloads including gaming considering how mature Intel's HT is compared to Ryzen's newer SMT implementation which AMD recommends to be disabled whenever performance regression is encountered just like in the early days of Hyperthreading.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
some things to ponder from https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2017/03/03/misinformed-rush-to-judgement-casts-amd-ryzen-in-overly-critical-light/

optimization of hardware, firmware and software can make a world of difference after a new product has a few months of maturity under its belt.

My early thoughts were that getting on and off chip with Ryzen was exhibiting some sort of intrinsic round-trip latency or bug, since when tasked with pure compute workloads Ryzen is so strong versus significantly more expensive Intel chips. Others thought Ryzen was having issues with its power states, dropping into a lower power mode inadvertently under this test condition, indicative perhaps of a BIOS firmware issue. Regardless, the more we kicked this around in the community, along with some of wide swings in performance seen between motherboard vendors and version, the more this began to feel, in my opinion, like typical early silicon architecture growing pains.

The bottom line is, it's too early to tell what's causing Ryzen to fall short in 1080p game testing and both ecosystem board partners, game developers and AMD itself are all still ironing out the kinks with the Ryzen platform. We have to remember that Intel's Core series architecture has held such a dominant position for so long, that the vast majority of game engines developed in the last decade have likely been optimized on Intel architecture as a baseline first and foremost. It will take some time for game patches, BIOS and CPU microcode updates to roll out that could very well further optimize Ryzen performance across a number of metrics, including 1080p gaming.

<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
^I agree. Zen started from a clean slate so it's only natural to have those issues in the beginning. Hopefully things will get better eventually but from a marketing standpoint, it's going to be an uphill battle to gain market acceptance and mind share with issues like this attached to every major AMD product launch.

There's a guy in the TPC AMD thread who says that he works for AMD and claims that Zen was designed to be a highly capable multi-threaded architecture for server/enterprise/professional markets first and foremost because that's where the most profit margins for the company are to be had. The consumer market was not a  priority for the design. Intel's HEDT processors which Ryzen CPUs are being pitted against, are based on Xeons and mainly target those similar market segments and are also not faster than Intel's lower priced mainstream CPU's featuring newer architectures with higher IPC but less cores.

On the other hand, Skylake and Kabylake mainstream processors are designed and optimized for consumer and mobile. I've also noticed a sizable gaming performance jump from Haswell to Skylake. This is not the case with CPU synthetic and productivity benchmarks so maybe, besides the increased clock rates, Intel also has some gaming specific secret sauce in the architecture that they're not divulging yet.

Anyway if what that so-called insider was saying were true, perhaps AMD should have launched Zen-based CPUs for the professional and enterprise markets first. They might have gotten a better first impression in doing so.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
well, i hope the midrange and budget Ryzen processors will have that gaming performance fixed. when will they be released anyway? my planned PC upgrade was put on hold because i thought they'd all be released at the same time.

--edit--
gaming benchmarks with comparison
http://www.techspot.com/review/1348-amd-ryzen-gaming-performance/

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
Midrange Ryzen is Q2 (could be as early as end of March or as late as until end of June).

Ryzen 1700+B350 board + 16GBDDR4 is costing ~800SGD though enthusiasts seem eager to upgrade, seeing many Haswell bundles (even some skylake/kaby lake i5s) going on sale in hwz/vr-zone/carousell.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
looks like i'll have to wait. thanks for the info.

i don't see Intel discounts here in the Ph though.

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline lahar

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »

Depends on what you mainly want to do with the CPU.

If we're talking about Kaby Lake vs. Zen and you need the best CPU performance for gaming and other IPC and clockspeed hungry tasks, then yes, stick with Intel. This is an area where the new Ryzen CPUs have poor value and are overpriced.

For heavily threaded workloads such as CPU-based rendering, transcoding and similar professional applications, Ryzen is apparently on-par or better performing than Intel's premium HEDT CPUs with similar core-counts while severely undercutting the latter in price.

If you ask me, for the price, an overclocked Intel Core i7 7700K 4-core/8-thread GPU is a great all-rounder for typical consumer workloads including gaming considering how mature Intel's HT is compared to Ryzen's newer SMT implementation which AMD recommends to be disabled whenever performance regression is encountered just like in the early days of Hyperthreading.

I had trouble understanding what you wrote. I guess I really lost my techie credentials. Anyway was thinking of building 2 systems:

1) A budget gaming system in the tradition of the old PPC budget builds. Mostly to play strategy games, games that can't be played on a console.

2) I want to build a replacement for my dual-Xeon 8-core Linux workstation.Running custom Matlab, Python, Fortran & C scripts and programs.

So which team should I go for those 2 applications?

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
^ intel 7700k for the gaming PC and Ryzen 1700 for the workstation, IMO.

Offline suavegabe

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
^7700k isn't exactly a budget gaming PC.

A nice review for the Pentium G4560 for budget gaming rigs:

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-pentium-g4560-review/
Core i5 6500 | MSI B250M Mortar | 16gb G. Skill Rip Jaws V | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 4gb | Fractal Node 804 | Noctua U12s | Logitech G-Pro | Logitech G502 Core | Swans m50w | Viewsonic XG2401

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »
^oh right

+1 on the pentium then. I would wait and see how the quad core ryzen fares first.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
it seems like Ryzen 1700 up has been optimized for multi-tasking work
while the 1500 is for gaming, well that still needs to be verified.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »
i wonder if this HSF is compatible with ryzen boards