Author Topic: ROOTING S4 on Globe carrier  (Read 3295 times)

Offline DonJuan

• AMDG
ROOTING S4 on Globe carrier
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
Hello PPCers,[/font][/size]I just purchased this i9505 phone for a lock in period of 30 months from Globe. I browsed here to do this sim unlocking procedure (is it synonymous to make my phone "open line"?). I read somewhere that in order to root this phone, it must be unlocked first. Is this true? This phone is currently on Android 4.2.2 with baseband ver I9505DXUBMG5, kernel 3.4.0-1032504 (Jul 5 KST 2013). As I was about to do the sim unlocking steps, as I inserted a simcard from another network, surprisingly it registered to their network and I am able to send SMS and strangely I cannot make a call. Do I need to proceed to this unlocking procedure before I root or do I proceed to root immediately? I am wondering if it would mess up my phone rooting it without unlocking? Thank you.
"Crystal"

WORKSTATIONS:

I7 6850K @ 4.3Ghz | X99 E WS 3.1 | Dominator 64GB 3466 | GTX1080 | 850 Pro 512GB | 6x 6TB HGST 7k6000 | NH D15s | 900D | K95 | RAT 8 | PA279Q | Seasonic P1200W | SB ZXR | Z906 5.1 |

R7 1700X | XHAIR6EXTREME | 32GB | SW2700PT | PRIME 850W Ti| WD GOLD | GTX1070 | View 71

Offline Gelo

Re: ROOTING S4 on Globe carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
I was able to root (and CFW, custom recovery, all the bells and whistles) a Globe-locked and unlocked i9505 running 4.2.2, and a Smart-locked i9505 running 4.3. I did not need to unlock the Globe- and Smart-locked units because the unlock procedure did not work for me. All units had basebands older than XUBMG5.
Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Offline DonJuan

• AMDG
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
I was able to root (and CFW, custom recovery, all the bells and whistles) a Globe-locked and unlocked i9505 running 4.2.2, and a Smart-locked i9505 running 4.3. I did not need to unlock the Globe- and Smart-locked units because the unlock procedure did not work for me. All units had basebands older than XUBMG5.

Thanks for the reply. Since I am able to use a smart sim on this globe locked phone, does this mean I dont need to do the sim unlock procedure? Or will it be locked anytime soon since it is a locked phone?

By the way I just rooted and installed clockwork using ODIN. What I am curious about is why do people want this KNOX thing removed? does the KNOX interfere with a ROOTED phone?

Before I install a custom ROM, what should I do first considering I am still at XUBMG5? I also want to get rid of this Globe bootscreen. What ROM do you suggest? In using ODIN, do I need to change kernel, bootloader as well?

Thank you
"Crystal"

WORKSTATIONS:

I7 6850K @ 4.3Ghz | X99 E WS 3.1 | Dominator 64GB 3466 | GTX1080 | 850 Pro 512GB | 6x 6TB HGST 7k6000 | NH D15s | 900D | K95 | RAT 8 | PA279Q | Seasonic P1200W | SB ZXR | Z906 5.1 |

R7 1700X | XHAIR6EXTREME | 32GB | SW2700PT | PRIME 850W Ti| WD GOLD | GTX1070 | View 71

Offline Gelo

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Since I am able to use a smart sim on this globe locked phone, does this mean I dont need to do the sim unlock procedure? Or will it be locked anytime soon since it is a locked phone?
- I'm not exactly sure if we can consider your phone as 'unlocked' since you mentioned that you are unable to make outgoing calls using a SIM card from a different provider.

By the way I just rooted and installed clockwork using ODIN. What I am curious about is why do people want this KNOX thing removed? does the KNOX interfere with a ROOTED phone?
- tl;dr KNOX is Samsung's new mobile security solution and if you trip its internal counter (e.g. root or install a custom recovery on firmware running 4.3 or newer), you will void your phone's warranty. That's why people hate it. I know that people over at xdadev have come up with a way of rooting i9505's that does not trip that counter, but you will have to discover this yourself as I have washed my hands clean of Samsung lol.

Before I install a custom ROM, what should I do first considering I am still at XUBMG5? I also want to get rid of this Globe bootscreen. What ROM do you suggest? In using ODIN, do I need to change kernel, bootloader as well?
- Before installing a custom ROM, make sure you make a backup of your current ROM using your new custom recovery (which, if I understood your post correctly, is CWM). After that, it's just a matter of researching what custom ROM, kernel, bootloader you want (plenty all over the net). Just do your due diligence - while customizing them may yield benefits, keep in mind that doing so comes with inherent risks if you do not read everything completely.

As for your bootscreen, if memory serves, you can change it in Settings -> Lock screen. I no longer have a Samsung phone so I can't check it personally, sorry :P
Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
^ Ikaw na naka Nexus 5.