Author Topic: How to get a wireless landline phone AC adapter working again  (Read 1002 times)

Offline madman

How to get a wireless landline phone AC adapter working again
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
I hope I'm in the right forum.

For the past five years, our household has been the Panasonic KX-TG7202 (http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones/multihandset-cordless-phones/panasonic-kxtg-7202-twin) landline phones, composed of a primary unit with base/charger, and a secondary unit with charger.  They have proven to be super convenient and trouble-free.  Up until now.

Recently, the secondary phone would not receive any charge from its charger.  I tried to charge the first phone with it, but still it would not charge.  I have had no problems charging both phones with the primary's base/charger.  So, I figured that something is wrong with the charger or the AC adapter of the secondary phone, most likely the latter.  (One may argue and suggest to just charge both phones with the primary's base.  But that sort of negates the convenience of having the KX-TG7202 in the first place.)

The product has already been discontinued, and it is improbable that I will be able to find a replacement OEM charger and/or AC adapter.

My questions are: how do I go about getting the charger or AC adapter repaired?  Will a regular electrician be capable enough to fix the problem?  Is this an electrical problem that I can solve myself?  Is there any place in Manila where I may be able to get a replacement charger and/or adapter?

I'd appreciate all your input, guys.  Thanks.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Re: How to get a wireless landline phone AC adapter working again
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
can you try using the secondary base with the primary adapter to eliminate uncertainty on whether the base or ac adapter is broken?
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline uvax

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
There are switching AC adaptors with variable DC outputs available from hardware stores like Ace or True Value. These come with interchangeable tips that come in different sizes. In case none of the tips fit your phone then you can cut off the tip from your broken adapter and graft it on the replacement adapter. I'm assuming you know your way around basic electrical stuff.

Offline Hajile

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
Don't get the one from CDR King tho. I've got one for my lipo charger and the plastic is really soft, it actually melted (The metal barrel is now loose and the connection is intermittent).
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline madman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
can you try using the secondary base with the primary adapter to eliminate uncertainty on whether the base or ac adapter is broken?

Will do that, barurutor.  Will let you know how it goes.

Offline madman

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
@barurutor, I tried the secondary base with the primary adaptor, and it worked.  Leads me to the conclusion that it's the secondary adaptor that's defective.  So, I went to Ace Hardware yesterday to look at the Switching Power Supplies available. 

The defective adaptor has an input of 100-240v, 60 Hz, 100mA; and an output of 6.5v=500mA.  The only power supply that had an output of 6.5v in Ace was the Newstar NSC-24 (http://www.belmontdepot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=156_157_297&products_id=72668&zenid=7r6upmauub46ea4jtrl37lq4r6#.UnXb81Ny3So), but on the product, it says "6.5v~2.4 Amp."  My ignorance prevents me from deducing if this is anywhere near equivalent to the "6.5v=500 mA" of the defective adaptor.  (1) Could somebody help and translate this in layman's terms?  Would this Newstar NSC-24 suffice?

Also, while the Newstar NSC-24 does have an option to have the 6.5v output selected, the plugs provided are not of the same size as the one from the original adaptor.  (2) Can I just cut off the original plug from the defective adaptor and replace one of the plugs in the Newstar NSC-24 with it?

(3) Assuming that the Newstar NSC-24 is a workable alternative to my defective adaptor, could I keep it plugged to the wall outlet 24/7, like what I used to do with the defective adaptor?

Hope someone could help.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
1. an output of 6.5v~2.4A means the newstar can provide enough current since the old broken adaptor only supplied 500mA.

2. you can cut off the plug from the old adaptor and splice to the new one.

3. I don't see why not, as long as it doesn't overheat.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline madman

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
@barurutor, thanks! Will work on this project. But it may have to wait till next weekend.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
I don't see any polarity switch on the Newstar AC adapter so take the polarity into account when you splice the old plug onto the new AC adapter.