Author Topic: Mouse Without Borders Alternative?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Hajile

Mouse Without Borders Alternative?
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
I alternatively use three computers and I've been using Mouse Without Borders to control all three without having to constantly plug/unplug the mouse and keyboard between them. Very useful utility.

My main unit is a netbook, which is fine for most tasks, I even use it for programming, but there are times where I either need to move a ton of files for archiving, or need a really powerful CPU for video processing, and that's when the other two gets turned on (I have three monitors, and all the video inputs are filled up so I can do various combinations). Unfortunately, I recently got a mac mini and now I'm looking for an alternative that will let me control the mac as well. Any suggestions?

The one I've found so far is this
http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/download.php
It's $25 per PC tho so it's very expensive. I've considered VNC but it uses a ton of network bandwidth and CPU.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Online Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
Re: Mouse Without Borders Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
How about this one:

http://synergy-foss.org/

Offline Hajile

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »
Downloading. I'll try it later when I figure out how to install things on the mac. The VLC player I used is still in the shared folder because I don't know where to put it to get it installed properly.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Online Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Don't look at me. The wife laughs at me every time I try to use her Macbook Air hahaha

Offline borgy_t

• challenge accepted
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
teamviewer? hehe
Intel Core i5-4440 | Asus B85M-G | HIS ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Dell U2311H

Offline Hajile

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Ok, it works, there were some issues. It runs as a service, but you have to go to the service menu and manually start it. Setting it up was a bit of a hassle tho and it seems you have to manually set which PC is the server. Mouse Without Borders does a lot of the setup automatically.