Author Topic: PSU Recommendation  (Read 1625 times)

Offline BeowulfX

PSU Recommendation
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:25:45 AM »
Hi guys,

After only 7 months of use, my Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775w (modular) finally gave up (PC wouldn't boot up with the PSU but when I tested it with my old Cougar 550w (non-modular) my rig booted up fine. I guess it ain't "tough" after all. I don't do any overclocking and only play occassional games (SC2, BF3, NBA2K12 etc.) aside from the usual internet, MS office applications. But I do also use my PC as a DAW (music applications/creation/sequencing) and this is where it takes me 3-8 hours of continuous use but only every weekends (friday evenings to sunday evenings).

Since it is still under warranty, I brought it back to the shop where I bought it from (I paid P5750 for the PSU back then). The PSU was diagnosed as having "low voltage" and I was advised by the tech that it will be "pulled out" for replacement. After 4 weeks of waiting, I was finally informed yesterday that "their supplier no longer carries the same model for replacement and that the PC shop will just be giving me a P5,500-limit for a PSU exchange item. They said that my PSU had already depreciated in those 7 months of use that's why they're shop will only give me a P5,500 exchange PSU-limit.

Unfortunately, these are the only available units that will roughly "approximate" their P5,500-limit and the 775w of my now-defunct TTake Toughpower XT:

1) Antec HCG 750w (non-modular) 80+ bronze: I'll have to shell out an additional P1,000
2) Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 720w (modular) 80+ bronze: I'll have to add P300
3) Aerocool 800w (modular) 80+ bronze

Their FSP Aurum is out-of-stock and they don't carry any Enermax NAXN PSU units.

Would like to seek any suggestions/advice regarding which PSU will be reliable for my rig (listed in my sig below)...

Thanks for any info!
AMD PII x4 965BE C3
CM Hyper 212 Cooler
4GB x2 G. Skill RJ DDR3 1600
ASUS M5A97
Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB DDR5
HDD Sata 320GB, 500GB x 2
Antec HCG 750w PSU
Scarlett 6i6
M-Audio Delta 1010LT audiocard
Casio Privia PX-5S digital piano
Roland FA-06
Graphite 49 controller
MSI CX61 2PC i7 4712MQ laptop

Offline zer0

• just breathe...
Re: PSU Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:11:44 AM »
go corsair if meron, very reliable very stable at full load, zero voltage dips.

sa list mo i pick the antec.

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »
Corsair = planning to get the 750W
Enermax
Antec = me using Neo 500W @ 3years
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Online motion55

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Don't even consider FSP. I bought a couple the 80+ rated ones and both of them died a little over a year. The last one not only failed but also killed the motherboard.

I have one more FSP from an Acer desktop with a dead motherboard. After I replaced the motherboard with an Asus, the motherboard BIOS kept complaining of a power surge from the PSU.

I have since replaced them with a Cougar. I have recently bought a Seasonic S2II. Seasonic has a reputation of using good quality capacitors. I think it was the bad capacitors that killed off those FSPs.

Consider the advertised power rating as approximate. A good quality power supply rated at 750W will beat a lesser quality 800W rated PSU at the say the 750W output.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline juke

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
go corsair if meron, very reliable very stable at full load, zero voltage dips.

sa list mo i pick the antec.
+100

I've been using my Corsair HX620 for 4 years now.

Regarding FSP, there is a good and bad side to them. The bad side is that the quality is not always the same. The good side is that FSP secretly upgrades their psu. When a certain model is updated and upgraded, the older model is passed on to its lower series and making the lower series technically better.

Try visiting jonnyguru for extensive psu reviews.
i5-3570k / Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Asrock z77 Extreme6
G-Skill ECO 2x2GB + 2x4GB DDR3-12800 1.35v
Palit Jetstream GTX680 2GB
Seagate 10GB+
LG H620N 18x SATA DVD-RW
Corsair HX620W psu
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D
Logitech G15 v2
Logitech MX518

Offline calvin

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
Don't even consider FSP. I bought a couple the 80+ rated ones and both of them died a little over a year. The last one not only failed but also killed the motherboard.

I have one more FSP from an Acer desktop with a dead motherboard. After I replaced the motherboard with an Asus, the motherboard BIOS kept complaining of a power surge from the PSU.

I have since replaced them with a Cougar. I have recently bought a Seasonic S2II. Seasonic has a reputation of using good quality capacitors. I think it was the bad capacitors that killed off those FSPs.

Consider the advertised power rating as approximate. A good quality power supply rated at 750W will beat a lesser quality 800W rated PSU at the say the 750W output.

Odd... Seasonic is one of the better brands, but my FSP PSUs have outlasted other "branded" PSU worth much more than the FSP Supersonic.

All T.T. Litepower I had failed within 10 months of use... also with CoolerMaster and Enermax (although the Enermax lasted a little more than 2 years of use)

And all my desktops run 24/7...

FSP together with Seasonic was an OEM for IBM (when they were still in the desktop business), Compaq and HP...
They're also OEMs for several server model of HP and IBM.

Online Mr. Bungle

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
If you're considering higher end Seasonic models at 4K and above, avoid Seasonic PSU's built on the KM2 platform like the older X-series and look for the ones with the updated KM3 internals such as the P-series or the newer X-series which fixes the reliability issues that were present in some KM2- based units.

It might not mean much statistically but here's a list of PSUs that have failed on me:
HEC 300W
Enermax 350W
Corsair HX 620 (Successful RMA by Corsair HK to a brand new HX 650)*
Seasonic X-660 (Successful RMA by Helix Phils. to a brand new X-660)*

*My APC BackUPS 650 CS might have been the culprit in killing the last two PSUs so I stopped using it. I read somewhere that stepped sine-wave output from UPSes may be incompatible with high-end PSUs and Active PFC. Whatever that means.

**Edit: I forgot to mention this. When the HEC and Enermax PSUs failed, they took the board, memory and/or the CPU with them while the Corsair and Seasonic successfully isolated the other components of the PC from being fried upon failure of the PSU. I just replaced the latter 2 and was up and running immediately.

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
I have a HEC 550W that's alive after 6 years of abuse.

Offline juke

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
^ HEC WinPower 550AB? That one is a legend!
i5-3570k / Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Asrock z77 Extreme6
G-Skill ECO 2x2GB + 2x4GB DDR3-12800 1.35v
Palit Jetstream GTX680 2GB
Seagate 10GB+
LG H620N 18x SATA DVD-RW
Corsair HX620W psu
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D
Logitech G15 v2
Logitech MX518

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Probably is. I don't even remember anymore.

Offline dta

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »
After only 7 months of use, my Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775w (modular) finally gave up

Would you know the distro (it may be indicated by a sticker), perhaps the distro can also offer other replacement options.
(or direct to Thermaltake if that's possible).

Your list of 3 (Antec, CoolerMaster, Aerocool) -- do they have any other choices?  Based on revies, Cooler Master sometimes has OK models but other models are "not so good". Aerocool is relatively new in the PSU field, so their track record may not yet be proven.  As for Antec, the HCG series are supposed to be decent (High Current Gamer).  HardwareSecrets has a review of that model: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-High-Current-Gamer-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1141
(OEM of that PSU model is Delta Electronics, which also makes good PSUs).

Also, the prices above seems to be on the high side (Php 6.5k for Antec HCG 750watt??).  (plug: you may want to check some PSU prices in TPC, I have a brand-new Thermaltake Toughpower 800-watt 80Plus-Silver PSU (exact model: W0296RE) for sale at just below Php4k....)

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
just got this Tt 530 Watts, there where a few 650~700w in the same price range some even lower but i'm not sure about them
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline BeowulfX

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:17:18 AM »
Thanks for the info/suggestions!

I decided to get, as a replacement, the Antec HCG 750w (non-modular) in the shop for lack of any other available equivalent PSU (as to price and wattage-rating) to the defective TTake Toughpower XT 775w. I checked out the review that dta linked:

[size=78%]http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-High-Current-Gamer-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1141[/size]

The only problem is that this unit is a non-modular PSU and because Antec was relatively generous in providing long power cables, I initially had a problem how to keep 'em tidy inside my humble Cougar Optima mid-tower casing that I'm using currently. But I was able to bundle up the unused cables on both sides of the casing's 3.5" lower drive bays -- which in turn got them out of the way of the Sapphire 7870 vid card...but it doesn't look as neat as when using a modular PSU though...

Another problem I encountered is the length of the Antec PSU casing -- it practically encroached on the slot for my 120 mm intake bottom fan so much so I couldn't install the fan anymore. I would probably need some Antec Spot cooler fan for an additional intake fan...or I may just get a better ATX casing later on.

I decided not to replace the PSU with another Thermaltake. I read the review of the TTake 800w here (it also says that TTake 800w PSU was manufactured by FSP):

[size=78%]http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Toughpower-800-W-W0296RU-Power-Supply-Review/823/9[/size]

The Aerocool Strike-X 800w being offered as a replacement didn't get a good review, however, on the link below (which made me finally decide to just get the Antec HCG 750w instead):

[size=78%]http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-strike-x-800w-psu-review/7/[/size]

AMD PII x4 965BE C3
CM Hyper 212 Cooler
4GB x2 G. Skill RJ DDR3 1600
ASUS M5A97
Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB DDR5
HDD Sata 320GB, 500GB x 2
Antec HCG 750w PSU
Scarlett 6i6
M-Audio Delta 1010LT audiocard
Casio Privia PX-5S digital piano
Roland FA-06
Graphite 49 controller
MSI CX61 2PC i7 4712MQ laptop

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »
I have a boxed and used-only-once Antec 450w psu. I'm guessing it's been in storage (dry, dark cabinet in the bedroom) since 2008.

Is it still any good? Or have the capacitors degraded already? I don't have time to test it on an actual mobo but it sounds ok when I turn it on by shorting pins.