Author Topic: Ouya $99 Android Gaming  (Read 2414 times)

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
Ouya $99 Android Gaming
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
let see how it fairs with the legends ;D

http://www.gamesradar.com/ouya-99-android-gaming-blowing-kickstarter/

The idea is to revolutionize console gaming as we know it. Ouya aims to be a $99 device consisting of an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal flash storage, HDMI output, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB 2.0 port, wireless controller, and Android 4.0 running the show. What's more, the developers encourage rooting without worry that you'll void you're warranty

what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline berdugoh

Re: Ouya $99 Android Gaming
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
interesting!

Offline Hajile

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:53:27 PM »
A standardized platform for low budget and indie games. Would be interesting how they handle the legal issues. Would the applications be coded for ARM or for Java?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline Hajile

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:30 PM »
$4m in 3 days! This has got to be a record!
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline jester

• sowoneul marhaebwa
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
I think it beat the pebble watch in the amount of time it took to get to $4M. The pebble watch got $10M+ funding total, this might break that.

Offline ris

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
di pa pala available at wala pang pics yung actual unit.  puro bitin na pics nakikita ko eh.  anybody here have an actual pic for the ouya?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Hajile

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 03:01:01 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how it's supposed to work. The general impression is that they'll be able to play their android games on the big screen. But that's fairly unlikely. There are no standard gamepad controls that the developers had followed. Nor do the touch based controls transfer well to the gamepad.

Offline lahar

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
di pa pala available at wala pang pics yung actual unit.  puro bitin na pics nakikita ko eh.  anybody here have an actual pic for the ouya?

Its only a Kickstarter project for now.

Offline slide

• Veterans
  • Relax, I own j00
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
A standardized platform for low budget and indie games. Would be interesting how they handle the legal issues. Would the applications be coded for ARM or for Java?

It will use the Android platform and apps will be sold via Google Play.  Presume Java.  Legal issues?  What legal issues?  For a primer,  look at how Google Play works.  I believe that might answer your distribution questions.

I'm still trying to figure out how it's supposed to work. The general impression is that they'll be able to play their android games on the big screen. But that's fairly unlikely. There are no standard gamepad controls that the developers had followed. Nor do the touch based controls transfer well to the gamepad.

There will be Ouya-specific games. As an android dev, you can specify the target device on your app.  Hence, one can make their app require ouya and its peripherals.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
hmmmm I already can play Android games on a big screen by connecting my tablet via HDMI & using a USB controller

Offline Hajile

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »
@wheelee
I think you're supposed to think of this as an all new system unrelated to existing android games. The use of common terminologies and phrases like Tegra3, Android, App Market, is giving the impression that you can simply re-download the android games you've already go into it and be able to play. But touchscreen based games that made mobile gaming on android popular isn't going to work with a controller. The only consistent use of controllers on android are the emulators, and those had console interfaces. When this thing launches, the only apps that will work on it, are the ones from the developers that got the pre-launch dev kits.

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
But touchscreen based games that made mobile gaming on android popular isn't going to work with a controller.
unless the controller has a touch-sensitive surface.

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
fafa wheelee, where'd you get your usb-hdmi thingy? i also wanna play with my fish on the big tv :)
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline wheelee

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
I bought the cable here in HK @ $80 @ 2.5meters not knowing na meron palang mini-adapter to standard HDMI yung unit

dahil sa aliens Vs humans

at field runner hehehe

controller is a wireless mouse

Offline hungree

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »
Sir wheelee anong brand and model yang Tablet mo? GF is looking for a Tablet and sa dami ng binebentang tablet ngayon hirap ako pumili. What would you suggest? For gaming and watching movies and also net surfing and gamit.
Thanks!

Offline wheelee

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
that is a RAMOS W3HD not sure kung available dyan pero marami ng AINOL dyan sa atin, one of the leading brands din yan dito sa China pero marami syang version

take a look here
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=263185

Offline hungree

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
Thanks sir wheelee!

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
I believe that the wireless controller has a touchpad so you can still play your touchscreen games.

Offline ^_^japol

• Veterans
  • sus
    • personal folio site
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
Reposting:

For anyone who's interested

1. Awesome retro / emulator machine.

2. Controller isn't bad, overall build for me is pretty good for the price. A bit of lag input in some emulated games.

3. UI is ok, the menu seems to be bog down a bit though. Missing some things like tracking your downloads etc.

4. Works much better when ethernet is used vs wifi. Ouya servers can sometimes be slow to update. Requires CC to register.
5. Other apps like Twitch TV / VLC work ok, needs a whole lot more of those though 

6. Games wise, I must admit if it weren't for it to be a very good emulator machine, I wouldn't bother with the casual games for download with this console. Nothing different from your usual table/smartphone game. The whole library is nothing compared to Google Play or the app store. Still, you have a bunch of fun games to choose from. Kids and casual gamers will love it.

The big difference is you can play without hurting your eyes, or running out of batteries, have trouble trying to use the touch screen. Sure you can do all those with any phone but is much easier to use , no need to root or miss a call etc etc.

Wont replace your current console , a PSP or a 3DS is probably a better choice but if you already have those or you want to relive the good old days of older consoles , watch movies, play casual games and you hate "touchscreen playing" -  I think its good buy specially considering the price.

I like it a lot.

My only fear is if the founders dont add more titles and lure more devs into their ecosystem, this will end up dead in about a year or two.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
where did you get yours?