Author Topic: So i need a new monitor  (Read 4358 times)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: So i need a new monitor
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
@dta
Scaling shouldn't matter too much these days.

Your video card driver will have options on how to scale the output, so the GPU takes care of all scaling and output to your display is always 1:1. i.e., even if you run a game at 1024x768, the GPU will scale appropriately and output a 1440x900 signal to your monitor.

Pretty good idea if you ask me. The GPU can perform higher quality scaling, and doing it this way means there is no additional lag caused by going through the monitor's slower scaler.

fhtagn

Offline bonta-kun

• A.K.A. Sabaw
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 02:43:12 AM »
Actually, I havent gotten one yet. Im still waiting for the new videocards from ati and nvidia, since ill  need a new vc once i hit 1080p resolutions.

Core i5 2500k @4.0Ghz Thermaltake Contac 29 BP Gigabyte P67-DS3-B3 4GB Kingston HyperX 1600 HIS 4850 IceQ4 Logitech Z-5300 Logitech MX518 X-Fi Xtremegamer WD6400AAKS

Offline dta

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 06:30:29 AM »
The GPU can perform higher quality scaling, and doing it this way means there is no additional lag caused by going through the monitor's slower scaler.

I understand the nVidia GPU driver control panel has the same options... (I believe AMD's Catalyst control center also has similar funtionality, but is less intuitive than that of nVidia's).  Although I'm unsure if Intel HD graphics control panel has those settings...

but personally, sometimes I like to adjust the screen without going thru the control panel (ie. using the monitor's built-in controls if it has one -- especially if one is already inside a game, and just want to check what it looks like if 1:1 or widescreen, etc.  in case that game doesn't support the native resolution of the display).   On a powerful graphics card, the GPU scaling probably does the trick...

Anyway, it's a personal preference, and probably won't matter to most other people (except me?)

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
context/background story:

-office is replacing my desktop computer with a laptop.  i don't want to be restricted to it (the keyboard/touchpad and monitor being fixed) and i'd prefer a full keyboard/mouse setup and a bigger screen.
-i have a 19" samsung lcd with a native resolution of 1440X900 which will be the same as the new laptop so going dual monitor in the office either in clone or extended display should be ok
-bringing the 19" monitor to the office means the home pc will be without a monitor so i guess i should buy one for replacement.  the home pc is primarily used for web browsing and office productivity with the occasional photo editing.  the pc has a vga and hdmi out and i'd prefer to keep the hdmi out free so i can hook up the pc to the tv every once in a while.

next concern would be the budget:  i'm on a bit of a budget so i'm looking at 2nd hand monitors but what would be a good model to buy?  i'm thinking something along the lines of a 22" monitor or something...any leads/recommendations?  thanks in advance!
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
Make yourself heard
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
i'd get this instead
https://tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=40732623
better colors & viewing angles.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 10:16:55 AM »
hunting around for a good and reasonably-priced 24" Monitor to replace my 19" Samsung.  Any recommendations?  Like, are those Viewsonic 24" FHD 75Hz IPS monitors good?
Make yourself heard

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
diba bitin ang 24" nowadays? hows about going 27" 2K?

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »
diba bitin ang 24" nowadays? hows about going 27" 2K?

di kasya sa desk ko hehe :) I'm confined to my little corner in the house and this desk/table can only take so much.
Make yourself heard

Offline Capcom

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
Need to replace my 10++ yrs old Dell Ultrasharp LCD

I'm getting annoyed with screen tearing while playing games..  around 7k-9k budget lang budget ko

so which would be a better choice to eliminate screen tearing, higher refresh rates or  Gsync/Freesync

HKC or Nvision 24" 144hz < i've heared that VA panels has ghosting problems
MSI/AOC IPS 24" 75hz with Gsync/Freesync

Intel Core i3 9100f, MSI B360M Mortar , 16gb Crucial Ballistix , MSI RTX 2060 , 512Gb Samsung EVO  ,3tb Seagate SV35, Seasonic s12iii

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
Need to replace my 10++ yrs old Dell Ultrasharp LCD

I'm getting annoyed with screen tearing while playing games..  around 7k-9k budget lang budget ko

so which would be a better choice to eliminate screen tearing, higher refresh rates or  Gsync/Freesync

HKC or Nvision 24" 144hz < i've heared that VA panels has ghosting problems
MSI/AOC IPS 24" 75hz with Gsync/Freesync

At that price point, I'm guessing it would be better to go with a high refresh rate monitor provided your graphics card and game settings can maintain high enough frame rates so that the screen tearing becomes less obvious.

As far as I'm aware, there are no G-Sync Certified adaptive sync monitors at 75Hz while those Freesync monitors most likely have very narrow variable refresh rate ranges and don't have low frame rate compensation which kind of renders adaptive sync moot.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
i owned an old Samsung 24" 75hz 1080p IPS/PLS monitor which was Freesync certified but too old to be on Nvidia's G-Sync compatible list. Worked perfectly fine with a GTX1060 3Gb from 35-75hz. AOC seems to make decent cheap VRR capable monitors, I'd check out the AOC 24G2E (P9950 from Lazada).

of course, if you're using a GPU older than gtx10 series/radeon r9/rx series then upgrade that first to sustain 60fps at 1080p.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 02:29:00 PM »
i owned an old Samsung 24" 75hz 1080p IPS/PLS monitor which was Freesync certified but too old to be on Nvidia's G-Sync compatible list. Worked perfectly fine with a GTX1060 3Gb from 35-75hz. AOC seems to make decent cheap VRR capable monitors, I'd check out the AOC 24G2E (P9950 from Lazada).

of course, if you're using a GPU older than gtx10 series/radeon r9/rx series then upgrade that first to sustain 60fps at 1080p.
To meet G-Sync certification, the monitor must have low frame-rate compensation (LFC) capability which means that any time that the frame rates go below the minimum threshold, the frames get duplicated so that the framerates always stay within the tear-free variable refresh rate range because if they don't, then you either get tearing or it falls back on V-Sync depending on how the settings are configured. This is also the case with the framerates going above the maximum VRR range, just without the frame duplication.

G-Sync Compatible Certification requires a fairly high refresh rate panel to achieve LFC which is why 40Hz-120Hz seems to be the baseline panel refresh rate range without flickering or blanking during VRR operation to be certified, not the age of the monitor because not every new model passes Nvidia's validation process. I believe the same is the case for FreeSync 2 certification on AMD's side. As far as I'm aware, baseline FreeSync does not even require certification nor validation from AMD for manufacturers to implement in their monitors which is why while there are FreeSync VRR monitor models that work fine most of the time, there are also those that don't work as intended under certain scenarios and configurations. G-Sync Compatible and FreeSync2 certification are supposed to address the inconsistency of Adaptive-Sync implementations from the manufacturers.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/