Author Topic: Android thread  (Read 133059 times)

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Re: Android thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 29, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
I haven't rooted my phone in 2years, didn't need it..., some updates to Android made it so that you don't need it.
jeremypv

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #1681 on: November 29, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
To root or not to root?

it depends on what you want to do (use different ROMS) or depends on the app you will use, some app need root. two of my phones haven't been rooted since bought.

But before when I always like to experiment with different roms, I rooted them as it is required
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1682 on: November 29, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
Yeah. I just resurrected my softbricked Zenfone which used to be rooted. I looked at all the apps that needed root access and, well, I needed the convenience of my bank's mobile app more than I did those apps.

So, no root it is.

Offline ris

« Reply #1683 on: November 29, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Yeah. I just resurrected my softbricked Zenfone which used to be rooted. I looked at all the apps that needed root access and, well, I needed the convenience of my bank's mobile app more than I did those apps.

So, no root it is.

bpi ba?  oddly, my rooted phone could open the app.  i used root "hiding" apps though.  i couldnt open the bpi app before installing the root hiding apps
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1684 on: December 02, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »

So, no root it is.

bpi ba?  oddly, my rooted phone could open the app.  i used root "hiding" apps though.  i couldnt open the bpi app before installing the root hiding apps
Yup, BPI. Although I hear other banking apps don't like root or jailbreak either.

Actually, a root hiding app that required installation of the Xposed framework got my phone softbricked in the first place. :( Took me hours of Google and some good old trial-and-error to find the right method to unbrick it. :happy:
I had a rooted phone because I used to have a lot of automation macros on my phone.

Offline ris

« Reply #1685 on: December 02, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »

So, no root it is.

Yup, BPI. Although I hear other banking apps don't like root or jailbreak either.

Actually, a root hiding app that required installation of the Xposed framework got my phone softbricked in the first place. :( Took me hours of Google and some good old trial-and-error to find the right method to unbrick it. :happy:
I had a rooted phone because I used to have a lot of automation macros on my phone.

by soft brick, do you mean you couldnt boot the phone into home screen anymore?  or bootloop?  i also had issues with magisk and xposed.  but a simple uninstall of magisk and xposed fixed those issue.  kasama na kasi sa uninstall nun yung mag disable sya ng modules.  pag reinstall ko ng magisk or xposed naka reset lahat ng settings.  tapos enable ko ulit.  lolz! syempre nag slow down ulit.  until i find something that works.  yung youtube vanced ko nga may diskarte pa para lang ma dark mode.  may setting dun na magsisira ng youtube app where i needed to uninstall the module to reset the settings i made.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1686 on: December 02, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
boot loop. and messed up the serial number too so I couldn't flash any stock firmware. Fortunately, ASUS had this firmware for downgrading their Android L to KK.

Offline ris

« Reply #1687 on: December 02, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
boot loop. and messed up the serial number too so I couldn't flash any stock firmware. Fortunately, ASUS had this firmware for downgrading their Android L to KK.

last question.  sorry for the follow up question since i just thought of it now.  did the bootloop happen after installation of xposed framework or after activation of the root hiding module?  thanks for the answer!  this got me curious

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1688 on: December 02, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »

last question.  sorry for the follow up question since i just thought of it now.  did the bootloop happen after installation of xposed framework or after activation of the root hiding module?  thanks for the answer!  this got me curious
Just the installation of xposed framework. Actually, I'm not sure if I did it right. Just downloaded "Xposed installer". At first I thought it didn't install since I didn't see any new app or noticed anything different with my phone. But then when Play store wouldn't update any of my apps, I restarted the phone and that's when my phone went through the Asus logo and stayed forever on the Asus screen with the spinning progress circle. Not sure if that's what you'd call a boot loop.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Offline ris

« Reply #1689 on: December 02, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »

Just the installation of xposed framework. Actually, I'm not sure if I did it right. Just downloaded "Xposed installer". At first I thought it didn't install since I didn't see any new app or noticed anything different with my phone. But then when Play store wouldn't update any of my apps, I restarted the phone and that's when my phone went through the Asus logo and stayed forever on the Asus screen with the spinning progress circle. Not sure if that's what you'd call a boot loop.

since i had experience with an asus phone, maybe you didnt wait long enough.  and i do mean 2-5hours of waiting.  thats what happened to my asus phone before.  kaya nakaka badtrip.  not on xposed though.  nag update ako ng firmware and it seemed to take forever to boot.  i thought it was a bootloop but googled regarding updating the firmware.  literally HOURS of waiting for the damned update to finish.

and also, i think xposed installer is just what it says it is.  "installer".  so i think you still need to download the actual installer for it to work.  probably a better idea to just sideload the xposed installer instead of using that one from the play store. 

maganda nga ang xposed.  it complements magisk.  may mga modules na sa xposed lang makikita.  meron din na magisk lang.  so its a good idea to have both.  and also, pag pareho sila meron nung module, make sure that you only use one at a time.  dun ka magkakaroon ng bootloop or slow down

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1690 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:36 PM »
2 to 5 hours?! I thought leaving it on during my entire 1.5-hour commute was already too long. Anyways, I haven't got that much time to wait. Hayaan ko na lang na unrooted. Maybe give it another try if and when my current phone is relegated as backup phone.

Offline ris

« Reply #1691 on: December 04, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
2 to 5 hours?! I thought leaving it on during my entire 1.5-hour commute was already too long. Anyways, I haven't got that much time to wait. Hayaan ko na lang na unrooted. Maybe give it another try if and when my current phone is relegated as backup phone.

not sure if that applies to rooting though.  so dont trust fully what i say.  based on my "updating" experience yun.  not on rooting.  and another thing that might have helped there is keeping the phone cool.  parang bumabagal ata yung phone pag mainit din kaya baka mag contribute sa slow down