Author Topic: PPC Audiophile Thread  (Read 104838 times)

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
Re: PPC Audiophile Thread
« Reply #680 on: January 13, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »
static is really high for me this winter & with those high static producing cloth's & blanket almost everything i touch gives me a jolt! phone, laptop dang even water from the faucet!
 >:(

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #681 on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »

Winter conditions? Thats normal during the season.

At least one of those who claimed to have had the problem said he lives in the desert region.

I've been following the forum discussion over at Audio Science Review. The problem might be a design flaw. ESD shouldn't end up damaging headphones plugged into the amp.The manufacturer forum rep mentioned that ESD testing wasn't done during product development and some components were changed with serial number 2012xxxxxx and up to isolate the headphones from "ESD-induced" amp failures. They're in the process of acquiring ESD testing equipment to investigate the issue further.

Online lahar

« Reply #682 on: January 13, 2021, 02:26:44 PM »

Winter conditions? Thats normal during the season.

At least one of those who claimed to have had the problem said he lives in the desert region.

I've been following the forum discussion over at Audio Science Review. The problem might be a design flaw. ESD shouldn't end up damaging headphones plugged into the amp.The manufacturer forum rep mentioned that ESD testing wasn't done during product development and some components were changed with serial number 2012xxxxxx and up to isolate the headphones from "ESD-induced" amp failures. They're in the process of acquiring ESD testing equipment to investigate the issue further.

Static electricity is common when humidity is low (winter conditions and dry environments like deserts). A few years ago during a particularly cold winter day I experienced electric arcing from my finger to a door knob. The distance was 5 inches.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #683 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
Topping has acknowledged the L30 problem and has this to say:

I discussed this with the dealer via Shopee chat. They coordinated with the manufacturer regarding the recall so they will send me a new revision unit which incorporates the fixes to address the headphone damaging issue. They said I don't have to send back the old unit but I have to show proof that I "destroyed" it. I'll see how this goes but it should give me some piece of mind with the product.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #684 on: January 15, 2021, 12:53:48 AM »
wow! good for you, so which version is the protected one? & how would we know?

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #685 on: January 15, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
wow! good for you, so which version is the protected one? & how would we know?

Offline wheelee

« Reply #686 on: January 26, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
if anyone is interested Doug Kramer is selling some of his Home Theater stuff at PHTE (fb) amounting to 1.3M total. Lots of speakers, subs amp with individual price.

Oh those Emotiva's!!! 

Offline altec

« Reply #687 on: January 26, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »
^Whoa.
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline wheelee