Author Topic: PPC Audiophile Thread  (Read 102436 times)

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Re: PPC Audiophile Thread
« Reply #660 on: November 26, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
Cheap headphones will only pair to 1 host device at a time and must be unpaired from that device to pair to another one.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline lahar

« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
Tanong lang: kung naka bluetooth earphone/headphone ka sa bus/plane/opisina, what stops a nearby person from hijacking your earphone? Parang may nfc password or something yung ibang models ng sony like xm4?

Good question. Lately bihira na ako makakita ng BT device na may passcode pa prior to pairing. Nowadays direcho na.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #662 on: November 26, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »
Tanong lang: kung naka bluetooth earphone/headphone ka sa bus/plane/opisina, what stops a nearby person from hijacking your earphone? Parang may nfc password or something yung ibang models ng sony like xm4?

Good question. Lately bihira na ako makakita ng BT device na may passcode pa prior to pairing. Nowadays direcho na.
Either that or the passcode is "1234".

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #663 on: November 26, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
Headphones you usually have to press a physical button before it goes into pairing mode.
The XM3/XM4 you hold down the power button for 7 seconds before it does.
fhtagn

Online altec

« Reply #664 on: November 26, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »
Headphones you usually have to press a physical button before it goes into pairing mode.
The XM3/XM4 you hold down the power button for 7 seconds before it does.

Okay! So in other words,  hindi problema yung concern ko?
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #665 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
^ Yup. Unless a headphone is super badly designed it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Even those bluetooth speakers you'll usually have to push a physical button before they go into pairing mode, aside from the initial setup where they are still unpaired and automatically go into pairing mode.
fhtagn

Online altec

« Reply #666 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »
^Muchas gracias splerdu!
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #667 on: January 04, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
just got me the NICEHCK DB3 & all I can say is WOW!
clear, crisp, wide soundstage & very comfy on the ear. dang! even with cheap MP3 players, sandisk, it sounds very nice
anyways let the reviews speak for....
 :happy:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db3.23966/reviews

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #668 on: January 04, 2021, 08:31:20 PM »
I found out recently that a friend was a backer of the Nura headphone project. He got his phones and is really pleased with them.

He has hearing damage in one ear, and the Nura is able to properly correct for that when it does the personalized EQ, something no other headphone was able to do for him so far.
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #669 on: January 05, 2021, 08:01:34 PM »
I'm loving these smart features of the Sony XM4:

1. Auto pause when the headphones are taken off and auto resume when put back on.
2. Speak to chat which automatically  pauses the music and enables ambient sound mode when I speak, then resumes after a user configurable amount of time or when I double tap the touch gesture sensor on the right ear cup.
3. The ability to configure/manage the headphones (like adjusting EQ) using the iPhone app while playing music from a different source like a DAP.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #670 on: January 06, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »
^ Cool!
I was eyeing the XM3, how's the sound quality? All I see is Voice & Noise cancelling features.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #671 on: January 06, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
^ Cool!
I was eyeing the XM3, how's the sound quality? All I see is Voice & Noise cancelling features.

I think the sound quality is quite good for ANC headphones however, I find them too bass heavy out of the box so I had to EQ out some of the bass so it sounds more balanced and clearer. The more I use it, the better it gets which might be due to the headphone drivers breaking in, I guess.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #672 on: January 06, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
thanks for the info, I break in my phones overnight then till the next day, leaving it on the table with almost full volume from the player
:D

Offline Mr. Bungle

Re: Topping L30 first impressions
« Reply #673 on: January 10, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
I'm posting this from the "What did you buy today" thread here since this would be more appropriate for this thread:

Ordered a Topping L30 Headphone Amp
nice, I've been looking to upgrade my headphone setup because wfh will probably last till 2022, thoughts when you get them

I just had the Topping L30 delivered today. Initial listening impressions have me gawking at how clean, detailed, punchy and full sounding the Sennheiser HD 650 can sound through this amp. The L30 can get really loud with no noticeable reduction in audio quality. I only have the volume knob at 10 o clock with the gain switch set to medium, and that's loud enough for me. I'm still using an old HRT Music Streamer III USB DAC which has a line level output of 2.25 Vrms per manufacturer's specs, which is quite high but the L30 amp's inputs can handle it with no problem at all.

In all the years I've had the HD 650, I always thought it was a mediocre sounding headphone but apparently, it was being held back without proper amplification. I used to have the JD Labs O2 head amp and it sounded worse than listening to the HD 650 plugged directly to the audio source. For the price, I'd say the L30's a steal.

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #674 on: January 10, 2021, 07:02:21 PM »
^nice, I'm probably going to get this one as well

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #675 on: January 11, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »
In all the years I've had the HD 650, I always thought it was a mediocre sounding headphone but apparently, it was being held back without proper amplification.

Yay for good amps!

IMO they're the biggest upgrade you can get just below stuff that directly and mechanically affect the sound (headphones, speakers, turntable components).
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #676 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:51 PM »

I suggest you don't. At least not right now.

I've been reading over at the Audio Science Review forums that some people have had their L30 units pop upon touching the volume knob, taking out their headphones with it. ESD is suspected to be the cause. Topping is investigating these claims and are also doing internal testing to get to the bottom of this issue. I've stopped using mine for now as advised by the manufacturer's forum rep.

If a recall happens, I have to figure out how to have mine exchanged with a revised unit. What a total bummer since the L30 sounds so good. Oh well, back to listening through speakers.

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #677 on: January 12, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »

I've been reading over at the Audio Science Review forums that some people have had their L30 units pop upon touching the volume knob, taking out their headphones with it. ESD is suspected to be the cause. Topping is investigating these claims and are also doing internal testing to get to the bottom of this issue. I've stopped using mine for now as advised by the manufacturer's forum rep.

If a recall happens, I have to figure out how to have mine exchanged with a revised unit. What a total bummer since the L30 sounds so good. Oh well, back to listening through speakers.

oof damn, guess I'll just check the forums for any news

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #678 on: January 13, 2021, 05:01:51 AM »
^ Wear a grounding strap while listening?

Minor risk lang naman ata ESD for us. Warm and humid all year round.
We never even developed the habit of using grounding straps when working with PCs.
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #679 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:54 AM »

Winter conditions? Thats normal during the season.