Author Topic: Troubleshooting a wifi router using PLDT DSL (DNS Server not working)  (Read 37223 times)

Offline dta

This is a troubleshooting I did for a friend's wifi router which sometimes work and sometimes didn't.

Background:
The friend says that she newly installed a wifi router with their PLDT DSL connection. At first, the wifi router worked, but then it didn't work anymore.  I went to their place to check, and that time, the router was working (by "working", I mean the wired desktop PC and a wireless laptop PC can access the Internet whle connected thru the router).

But the following day, she called me again to mention her desktop PC doesn't have Internet access anymore. (same with the laptop).

So scheduled another visit to their place. This time, I checked that indeed, can't access the Internet from the PC or laptop while connected to the router. HOWEVER, if the desktop PC is directly connected to the PLDT DSL-supplied modem, there is Internet connection.  I reconnected the wifi router to the PLDT DSL modem and verified that now the PCs can't browse the Internet (same with the laptop).  I did notice that the DSL modem indicates that the DSL connection is active though. So I tested using my wifi-enabled phone to connect to the router and I too can't browse the Internet from my wifi phone.  HOWEVER, one curiousity is that when I used the QIK live streaming application from my wifi phone, I could still stream video to the Internet (indicating the DSL is indeed alive on the router).

(Actually at this point, I should have detected something fishy going on, but I was getting tired from the testing, so my friend just told me to bring home the router for me to test with my DSL connection back at my place.)

Upon connecting the DSL modem to my PLDT DSL, I could access the Internet without any problems at all -- either wired or wireless. I did notice that there's a firmware update available for that TP-Link wifi router, so I updated the firmware anyway. Tested it for several days from myDSL, no problems encountered.

So went back to my friend's place to reconnect the TP Link wifi router with updated firmware. (hoping the updated firmware might resolve some unknown router-DSL issue). No such luck -- No Internet again either from the wired desktop or the wireless laptop. I tried my wifi-enabled cellphone again and tested the live streaming application -- yup, it still works.

This time I suspected maybe it's a DNS server issue (why hadn't I thought of that the first time I checked the router? would have saved me a few trips to their place -- fortunately, di malayo yung place nila...)

Ok, now I connected the wired desktop PC directly to the PLDT DSL modem. I made a screenshot of the LAN connection properties so I can remember the DNS servers being used (there were 3 DNS servers listed) -- can browse the Internet.

Next I connected the wired desktop PC thru the wifi-router -- I noticed the LAN connection lists only 2 DNS servers (can't browse Internet). Entering the router configuration setup of the TP-Link wifi router -- there were only 2 DNS servers listed in the WAN setup.

Ah-hah! There seems to be some discrepancy here. I thought, the first 2 DNS servers probably don't work, while the 3rd one is the missing link. I went to the desktop PC's LAN connection - TCP/IP properties and plugged in the 3rd DNS server to the Primary DNS Server (instead of obtaining DNS server automatically).  Tested the Internet -- yup, it worked!  Tried the same thing on the wireless laptop (no Internet connection when obtain DNS server automatically [lists only 2 DNS servers], but when I plugged in the 3rd DNS server -- the laptop can now access the Internet too.

Just for trial, I also tried plugging in only the OpenDNS Server address instead of the PLDT supplied 3rd DNS server address -- and both PCs can also browse the Internet.

SO, the problem is the PLDT's DNS Servers (the first 2 DNS servers don't work at all)!

Finally, I thought I'd rather change the DNS server from the router configuration (instead of the laptop and desktop PC's LAN connection TCP/IP settings -- ie. leave them at "obtain automatically" in case connecting to another DSL connection).
So I input the PLDT 3rd DNS server and one OpenDNS server to the router's configuration page.
Now both laptop and desktop can browse the Internet ("obtain DNS server automatically" -- in this case from the router).

Successful resolution of the router-DSL problem finally!

~~~~~~

NOW, I'm thinking, why can the TP-Link wifi router only get 2 non-working DNS servers automatically from PLDT (when connected to the DSL modem)? Why wasn't it able to obtain automatically the 3rd functioning DNS server (like the PC did when it was directly connected to the DSL modem)? (maybe other brand routers are able to get more DNS servers automatically and not just the first 2?)

Another thing: is that a way PLDT is trying to prevent users from connecting wifi routers to the PLDT DSL connection? (since the 3rd DNS server will be supplied to the PC when connected directly to PLDT DSL modem; but the wifi router can't obtain the 3rd "working" DNS server when connected via router)

And another: any idea if reporting to PLDT about "non-working DNS servers" is a valid complaint?  (the customer tech support might not even know what you're talking about if you say "sir/mam,I'd like to report that your PLDT DNS Server addresses are not resolving the addresses and thus can't browse the Internet").

(another thought: maybe the live streaming application "QIK" which I tried on the wifi-enabled cellphone doesn't have to pass thru DNS servers -- which is why it works even when there was no functioning DNS Server address in the default wifi router configuration)

Offline beni

• CCIE #36739, CCARFS, JNCIS-ER, JNCIA-EX
Re: Troubleshooting a wifi router using PLDT DSL (DNS Server not working)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »
NOW, I'm thinking, why can the TP-Link wifi router only get 2 non-working DNS servers automatically from PLDT (when connected to the DSL modem)? Why wasn't it able to obtain automatically the 3rd functioning DNS server (like the PC did when it was directly connected to the DSL modem)? (maybe other brand routers are able to get more DNS servers automatically and not just the first 2?)

Other brands do get more than 2 DNS server IPs from the ISP.

Another thing: is that a way PLDT is trying to prevent users from connecting wifi routers to the PLDT DSL connection? (since the 3rd DNS server will be supplied to the PC when connected directly to PLDT DSL modem; but the wifi router can't obtain the 3rd "working" DNS server when connected via router)

The ISP works as it is designed to work. It gives IP Addresses via DHCP which includes the ISP's DNS server IPs. It's just a matter of how your router accepts those IP Addresses.

Anyway, some PLDT field techs may help you configure a router at the time of your DSL installation. They advise what parameters to set, which you will configure. But they are not responsible for any configuration issues that you'll encounter in the future with the router. Their demarcation point is the agreed CPE. In this case, the PLDT DSL modem.

(another thought: maybe the live streaming application "QIK" which I tried on the wifi-enabled cellphone doesn't have to pass thru DNS servers -- which is why it works even when there was no functioning DNS Server address in the default wifi router configuration)

To establish a connection to any destination in the Internet, you will need an IP Address and a port number. The IP Address may be in a form of a hostname, in which a DNS server resolves.

And another: any idea if reporting to PLDT about "non-working DNS servers" is a valid complaint?  (the customer tech support might not even know what you're talking about if you say "sir/mam,I'd like to report that your PLDT DNS Server addresses are not resolving the addresses and thus can't browse the Internet").

DNS issues are a valid complaint. But before testing the DNS issue, the custcare agent will require you first to directly connect any computer to the DSL modem thereby isolating the fault from their CPE (the modem).

DSL support do get escalation to teams with knowledgeable communications engineers. They perform troubleshooting from your modem to the their network.

Offline josekym

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks for the info, dta!

I've experienced this too (even with other ISPs), but my observation is different.  It seems that the DNS servers being given out by the PLDT DHCP server/s is actually not accepting requests from the modem's leased IP address!  Testing with Dig or nslookup from a PC yields "Query refused" messages! Ha!

Not probably.  I think PLDT uses TTL=1 setting instead to limit the network packets from passing thru a router.  I have assisted a friend before regarding his router, a Linksys, which could not get a leased IP address from the DHCP server of PLDT.  However, a PC connected directly to the modem could.  A relevant firmware update resolved this issue.

Yup, it should be a valid complaint.  However, it should be noted that if your complaints involves the use of a router, then you are on your own.  ISPs usually do their testing upto the modem only.  Anything beyond is none of their concern anymore.

The app probably accesses some intermediate server/proxy directly via IP address, thus bypassing DNS altogether.

Offline dta

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
So sorry to bother, dta.  I was almost ready to give up on my relatively new Linksys WRT 160N wireless router until I stumbled upon this post of yours.  It seems I have a similar problem.  I am dearly hoping you can help me.

I've had my 160N since November 2010 only, so it's not even a year old.  That is why I could not understand why I was having internet connection trouble through the router.  I bought this router to replace a Linksys WRTGS which was behaving similarly.  In retrospect, I think that the problem with the WRTGS was also a DNS issue, but that's water under the bridge now.  Presently, I don't want to think that my "new" router is a lemon.

My desktop works on Windows Vista Home Premium and uses PLDT DSL.

Last Saturday, after a trouble-free 10 months, all of a sudden I could not get an internet signal on my desktop which is wired to the 160N.  I called up PLDT.  After being told that there was no signal problem in my area, and after checking network connections and "pinging" my router when I was connected to it, and my modem when I was connected to that directly, I was basically just asked to maintain my connection to my PC to the modem directly and to reconnect the PC to the router after 30 minutes (all of this being done without turning anything off).  Thereafter, I was able to connect to the internet via the router automatically.  The woman on the line gave me some BS about how the settings sometimes get corrupted, etc. 

The next day, I encountered the same problem.  So, I call up PLDT again.  This time, some guy takes my call and just makes me do the very same thing.  I found it quite inconvenient that to get an internet signal, I would have to turn on everything, then disconnect from the router to connect to the modem directly, and after a while, disconnect from the modem to re-connect to the router.  After all, this exercise missed the point of having the convenience of a wireless router, considering that there is another PC in the house wired to the router.

Yesterday, I consulted a friend who works in the IT department of a private company, and he said that it looked like a DNS problem.  He did recall a similar experience and solved it by assigning values to DNS1 and DNS2, mentioning that he suspects that PLDT actually gives bad DNS on purpose to limit the use of routers.  So, he told me to connect my desktop to my router and the router to the modem (all of this while everything was turned on), enter my router's firmware settings, and  to do the same:  8.8.8.8 for DNS1, and 8.8.4.4 for DNS2.  (Note: just for DNS1 and DNS2, not for DNS3, which you also tweaked.)  He then instructed me to turn everything off, and then on again.  Lo and behold, I was able to connect to the internet through the router upon turning on everything.

My joy was shortlived when I found out this morning that my PC again would not connect to the desktop through the router.  So, while everything was on, I disconnected my PC from the router, and connected it directly to the modem, and after a while reconnected it to the router and the router to the modem.  Truth to tell, I was getting terribly irritated with this set-up.

While my problem is similar to the one you encountered, one difference is that when I turn my computer on, it does not get an internet signal through the router.  However, when I do the motions (disconnect PC from router, connect PC directly to modem, and re-connect PC to router and connect router to modem), I am able to get an internet signal without having to change any settings.  Your problem apparently was slightly different in the fact that you could not get an internet signal even when you re-connected to the router.

While I'm pretty much computer-literate, I must confess that I am not networking-savvy and am struggling to try and understand your post in the best way possible.  I am very much willing to try out the fix that you contributed in the thread.  "I went to the desktop PC's LAN connection - TCP/IP properties and plugged in the 3rd DNS server to the Primary DNS Server (instead of obtaining DNS server automatically).  Tested the Internet -- yup, it worked!  Tried the same thing on the wireless laptop (no Internet connection when obtain DNS server automatically [lists only 2 DNS servers], but when I plugged in the 3rd DNS server -- the laptop can now access the Internet too."   I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.  Are you referring to IPv4?  I suppose you did this while the desktop was connected to the router?  How should I do this stuff?  Or is there any website or literature and can teach me how to go through the motions step by step?  I'm willing to try anything.

Hope you can help.  I'm pretty much desperate.  I reside with my elderly folks, but leave so early in the morning for work.  When my pop turns on his own desktop later in the day to get to the Net and he is unable to do so, he calls me and hounds me all day at work and that can be very harassing.  I'm pretty much exasperated.  I don't want to have to buy another router.

madman

Hi madman,

Reposting your inquiry here for the peanut gallery to assess your problem and ask for more insights..

Your question (IPv4) -- for Windows 7 (and very likely Vista too) it's in the Local Area Connection => Properties => Internet Protocol IPv4 => Properties.   Try plugging in the DNS values and check if it works. If it doesn't, then it may be some other problem that's compounding the (possibly DNS problem).

(I can't recall exact details, but I think the PC and laptop I mentioned above were just running Windows XP, which usually only has IPv4 and is simply listed "Internet Protocol" or TCP/IP.

Backreading your other posts, such as this:
"Router Does Not Save Settings"
http://forum.pinoypc.net/index.php?topic=52330.0

Your router/DSL modem setup seems to already have some problem before (when you were using the WRT54GS prior to switching to the 160N).  Were you able to solve your problem indicated in that message thread?

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
PLDT has craptacular transparent proxies and DNS servers that keep failing. Try using OpenDNS or something like that to alleviate your problem.

To ensure that your net connection is not just dropping out, please copy and paste this IP address to your notepad:  209.85.175.99

Next time you get the problem go to command prompt and then do "ping 209.85.175.99". If you get a reply received then that means it's your DNS that's giving you problems and your Internet is still active.

By the way, powercycling doesn't fix your problem? We have a PLDT myDSL connection here in my parent's house and we end up powercycling every time the default gateway decides to drop packets. I'm no longer using PLDT's DNS servers.

Offline dongdong

• ¦D
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »
Use Google DNS

OpenDNS has some unnecessary censoring like blocking DeviantArt.
~"I do not have to regret anything. I started the whole pack. I was the boss of a marvelous pack. "~ -Akela, the Lone Wolf

Offline madman

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
Hope this reply will clarify some issues:

@dta:  Your router/DSL modem setup seems to already have some problem before (when you were using the WRT54GS prior to switching to the 160N).  Were you able to solve your problem indicated in that message thread?  Nope.  That's why I junked the WRT54GS and bought the 160N.  But like what I mentioned earlier, in retrospect, the WRT54GS problem also involved DNS issues (but at the time, I didn't know any better).  What I remember is that whenever I checked the WRT54GS' firmware settings, all three DNS would be 0.0.0.0.  I would try to release and renew, but always would end up with 0.0.0.0.  That's when I decided to buy a new router.

@Louie:  Try using OpenDNS or something like that to alleviate your problem.  I'm sorry I lost you.  What is Open DNS?

Next time you get the problem go to command prompt and then do "ping 209.85.175.99". If you get a reply received then that means it's your DNS that's giving you problems and your Internet is still active.  Do I ping 209.85.175.99 while I'm connected to the router, or when I'm connected directly to the modem?  And if it's through the router, do I ping while my internet signal is down?  I did ping 209.85.175.99 just now when I was on the internet through the router (having turned everything on, finding out that I had no Internet signal through the router, disconnecting my PC from the router and connecting it to the modem, and after some minutes re-connecting the PC to the router), and I did receive a reply promptly.  So, it does seem that it's a DNS problem.  But I don't really know where to go from there.  And, pardon me if I'm a dunce, but whose address is 209.85.175.99?

By the way, powercycling doesn't fix your problem?  I did that.  Several times.  I managed to get an internet connection only when I used the 160N's Set-Up Wizard.  But when I turned everything off, then on again, I was back to my original problem of not getting Internet through my router, with my firmware settings showing 0.0.0.0 on all three DNS slots.  (That's what used to happen also in my old WRT54GS.)

....and we end up powercycling every time the default gateway decides to drop packets. I'm no longer using PLDT's DNS servers.  That's basically the same as my situation.  I apologize for being network-ignorant, but if you're no longer using PLDT's DNS servers, that what do you use?   Something like the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)? 

@dongdong:  Use Google DNS
  I did that, and it worked when I turned everything off and on again FOR THAT DAY.  In fact, I thought I had my problem licked.  THE VERY NEXT MORNING, my eagerness to get to the Inernet turned sour when I found out that my router was behaving badly again.....no Internet upon turning everything on.  When I looked at the firmware settings, the DNS addresses were still set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, but this time, no more Internet connection.  What gives?

I have other questions: Isn't a third DNS address important?  Why just use the two Google DNS addresses?  Shouldn't there be a third?

I'm hoping against hope that nobody tells me to buy a new router.

Offline dta

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
I have other questions: Isn't a third DNS address important?  Why just use the two Google DNS addresses?  Shouldn't there be a third?

I'm hoping against hope that nobody tells me to buy a new router.

I think one always-working-and-reliable DNS server is enough. Two (or 3 DNS servers) is for redundancy.
(You can use GRC.com's free DNSBench utility which tests the DNS servers, and also has 'help' that explains DNS servers quite well)

If there's no Internet connection, I guess the problem could be either the DSL service (PLDT), DSL modem, or the router. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to exactly pinpoint where the problem lies in the above 3 parts (other than the usual testing).

Sharing my experience:

Lately (starting probably around 2 or 3 months ago), I've also been experiencing possibly similar problems.

I have DSL->router->PC.
I have already plugged in the Google DNS values (8.8.8.8) into my router's GUI interface, so that all PCs that connect to the router should be using Google's DNS server already (instead of having to change the LAN properties->IPv4 properties->DNS server properties to 8.8.8.8).
The PC occasionally displays 'No Internet connection' (as of lately, occurs about once every 1 or 2 days).
Thus, the problem shouldn't be the DNS server (since it's already using Google's DNS server instead of what PLDT DSL provides).

I think my above scenario occurred around the time I flashed my router from its default firmware to DD-WRT firmware.
However, I recall the reason I looked for another firmware for my router was because I had been experiencing the above-mentioned problem, thus decided to change the firmware. However, it seems the problem still occurs whether I was using the default firmware or DD-WRT firmware for my router.

Strangely, directly connecting the PC to the DSL modem, almost always has no problem.
It's only when the setup is PLDT-DSL->router->PC that the PC will occasionally (about once every 1 or 2 days) display 'No Internet Connection' even when it's connected properly to the router (wired LAN cable connection).  (Note that all PCs connected to the router experience the "No Internet Connection" if this occurs.)
To solve above problem, I generally need to power-cycle the DSL modem, or sometimes both DSL modem + the router. (I'm not very sure, but when this happens, I think power-cycling just the router may not restore the Internet Connection).

When "No Internet Connection" is displayed on the PC, checking the router's Web GUI interface shows that there's no WAN IP address (= 0.0.0.0).  What's strange though is that the DSL modem appears normal -- the DSL light is ON. And if I connect the PC directly to the DSL modem (without power-cycling the DSL modem), I think it would have Internet Connection.

In my case above, it seems something is causing the router to lose the WAN (DSL) IP address about once every 1 or 2 days.  I haven't been able to figure out what's the cause and usually I just need to power-cycle both the modem and router and 90% of the time the problem gets fixed. (the other 10% of the time, I have to wait maybe 5 minutes or so before it gets fixed)

I wonder if the scenario I'm describing would be pretty similar to the one you're experiencing. In which case, it may be PLDT DSL that's the problem?  (I'm using a Buffalo wireless router)

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
OpenDNS is a third party DNS provider like the one given by Google. http://www.opendns.com/. It's best to do the ping test when you can't browse. Also, the IP address I gave is Google.com's.

When you lose Internet, does the router still have a WAN IP? And are you still able to ping the default gateway? Could you try to do "tracert google.com"?

The problem I get with PLDT here at home is that our router is connected to PLDT and has an IP address but there's no traffic. There isn't even any reply from the PLDT server. I have to power cycle to make it work again. It's as if their servers suddenly quit.

Offline dta

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »
The problem I get with PLDT here at home is that our router is connected to PLDT and has an IP address but there's no traffic. There isn't even any reply from the PLDT server. I have to power cycle to make it work again. It's as if their servers suddenly quit.

And you're already using Google's DNS server, right?

It seems pretty similar to the problem I just mentioned above (I can't remember if the WAN IP address is 0.0.0.0 or sometimes, there's still PLDT's IP address; but just like you stated, "it's as if their servers suddenly quit")
(Anyone else experiencing this same problem with PLDT DSL lately?)

If so, it seems like PLDT DSL is really the culprit then, and not much we can do on our end, except regular power-cycling. :(

Online bravoexo

• Mazda3, Canon 40, 400D, Anime and Xbox360 Freak
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:38 AM »
I get the every 5min disconnect thing because of the DHCP giving me a duplicate IP because of the MAC address I have on the DLink DSL modem.  I just switch MAC address back to the Zyxel modem I was given but don't use.   If that doesn't stop the 5min carnage, I just make up a new MAC address so that I get a different IP immediately.
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, M4 mSATA 256Gb, Agility 3 120Gb, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 5, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, GTX680-DC2-4GD5 x 2, E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, L800, 5600CF, G27, G700, F3, Spyder2, Nexstar DualDock USB3

Offline madman

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
@dta:
and usually I just need to power-cycle both the modem and router and 90% of the time the problem gets fixed.

I did that also.  No dice.  I'm beginning to lose hope.

Offline madman

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
I think I already know what the problem is with my 160N.  Should I be able to extablish an internet connection through it (by first connecting my PC directly to the modem, and then, re-connecting to the router), I eventually am able to get through to the Internet via the router.  I look at the firmware settings, and I find that I have values for the DNS addresses.

However, once I turn PC, router, and modem off, and turn everything on again after (30 minutes or so), with the PC connected to the router, I get zilch.  I look at my firmware settings and find that all my DNS addresses are 0.0.0.0.  That was exactly the same problem with my old WRT54GS. 

Could this be an intrinsic Linksys problem?  If it is, I'm never going to buy Linksys again.

Online motion55

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 06:36:50 AM »
Have you tried cloning the MAC address of your PC on the Linksys? PLDT uses a loose form of MAC authentication on their DHCP servers. Some MAC address blocks don't seem to work.

What version WRT160N do you have? Can you flash it to Tomato or DD-WRT? Some firmware are not compatible with PLDTs DHCP servers and so you have to try other firmware.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline madman

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »
@motion: I have a v.3 160N.

Let me add the following:

I bit the bullet and bought a D-Link Wireless N DIR-160.  Geez, I couldn't even install the darn thing because the Set-Up Wizard that came with it could not even detect an internet signal in the final step of the set-up.  Did the set-up again and again, with the same results.  I did try cloning the MAC address on the D-Link, but to no avail.

So, I'm back to my Linksys since it at least gets an Internet signal if I connected my PC first to the modem, and then transfer the PC connection to the router several moments later.

What I don't get is this:  I do get DNS addresses in the firmware settings after I re-connect the PC to the router after having connected it first to the modem.  But after I turn everything off, and turn them on again (with the router connected to the PC), all I get are 0.0.0.0 DNS addresses.

Where does the problem lie?  Is it possible I have a malfunctioning modem?  How does one know that his modem is not working properly?

I'm at the end of the line here.  I already bought a new router.  And yet, my router problems are still the same.

Offline dta

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
I bit the bullet and bought a D-Link Wireless N DIR-160.

I decided to do some more testing too on my PLDT DSL connection -- I bought an SMC Barricade-g 7908VoWBRA (ADSL modem + Router + VoIP gateway all-in-one) so that I can get both the PLDT modem and my Buffalo router out of the picture (I couldn't determine if my related problem -- ie. occasionally the Buffalo router will get "No Internet access" about once every 1 or 2 days of continuous usage).

Since I just got this SMC ADSL modem+router, I still have to test if I'll be getting the occasional "No Internet Access" problem.

Once that I've tested that configuration is OK  (SMC ADSL/router => PC),
I'll probably next test the config: (SMC ADSL/Router => Buffalo router => PC). 

My previous config had been (PLDT Zyxel ADSL modem => Buffalo router => PC),
which I had been experiencing "No Internet Access" which occurs about every 1-2 days (and needs Power-Cycling either or both the modem & the router to fix the problem).

Will post back once I use/test the new setup configuration for a longer period of time...

Online bravoexo

• Mazda3, Canon 40, 400D, Anime and Xbox360 Freak
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
@madman, why do you bother with the DNS from PLDT anyway?
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, M4 mSATA 256Gb, Agility 3 120Gb, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 5, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, GTX680-DC2-4GD5 x 2, E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, L800, 5600CF, G27, G700, F3, Spyder2, Nexstar DualDock USB3

Offline madman

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »
@bravoexo: it's not that, bravo.  Believe me, I've tried other DNS addresses.  They work momentarily.  But when I turn everything on again the next day, I'm back to the original problem.  Methinks now that it's a modem problem.  The modem refuses to connect with any router.  After all, this modem I've got is six years old.  I've gotten in touch with PLDT.  They're sending a technician to the house.  If only the technician and I can synchronize our schedules so that I'm home when he comes.

@dta:  I await the results of your tests.

Offline madman

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
Dear all,

Thought I’d just give you an update about my continuing dilemma about my modem-router internet problems.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a brand new D-Link DIR615, and I couldn’t even install that, notwithstanding the installation wizard it came with.  Somewhere during the process, the wizard would tell me that it could not get an internet signal.  The next day, I tested the D-Link with the modem in my sister’s house, and I did not encounter any problems installing it.  Ergo, the DIR615 was not a lemon.

My brother has a friend who is supposedly an IT wizard.  I asked of him the trouble of coming to the house to check things out.  He did come, but could not understand why I had such internet problems.  So, he fiddled around with my router settings and set my IP address to static.  That seemed to solve the problem.  We turned everything off, took merienda, and turned everything on again.  His settings adjustments seemed to work.  Two hours after he left, I decided to try putting everything off and on again…..this time I was back to my original problem.  No internet via the router upon boot-up.  So, I just reset the router to default all over again.

A couple of days later, I called up PLDT and requested for a change of modem.  The PLDT DSL guy eventually came and took a look at my six-year old modem and remarked that it was ancient….that PLDT did not issue such models anymore.  He promptly replaced it with a Zyxel P-600 series Autovolt modem.  Before he left, I made sure to install my Linksys 160N through its installation wizard.  That worked.  I then turned off everything, including my desktop.  After 15 minutes, I turned everything on, and I was able to get through to the internet via my Linksys router.  The problem could have been the prehistoric modem.  Or so, I thought.

Apparently not.

The next day, however, I was back to the old problem.  I turned on my modem, router, and PC (in that order), only to find out that I again could not connect to the internet.  For me to be able to use the router, I would (just like the first day I encountered this problem) have to connect the PC directly to the modem, and after 15 minutes or so, disconnect from the modem, and connect the router in the series.  Ergo, the modem did not seem to be the issue.

I have gone through the trouble of buying a cable connectivity tester, and tested all my cables.  They all checked out fine.

I even thought that maybe it could be the network card in my desktop.  So, I reset my Linksys router (had to use the Linksys because the D-Link couldn’t even find an internet signal), and used my laptop to re-install it, again using the installation wizard.  I was able to get through to the internet via the router.  I then turned off everything.  After 30 minutes, I turned on modem, router, and laptop only to find out I still had the same problem.  So, since I encountered the same predicament with my laptop, it is likely that it is not my desktops's network card that is the culprit.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Belkin N300.  Nagpakapal na ako ng mukha, and borrowed it even before he could install it in his house.  I met the same problem as with the D-Link.  The Belkin could not even prod the modem for an internet signal during installation using the wizard that came with it.  My friend brought the Belkin home, and had no problems whatsoever installing it on his system.

I find myself at a dead-end here.  I do not know where the problem lies.  Originally, I thought it was a DNS problem.  But then again, I couldn’t even install a D-Link and a Belkin.  Buti pa yung Linksys, at least I could reset it and it could find a connection with the internet.

So, two modems, three routers, one cable connectivity tester, and a lot of anguish later, I still have not solved my problems.  I could not even get past the installation stage of the D-Link and the Belkin.  Only the Linksys 160N seems to work partially.  In order to get an internet connection through my router, either I a) connect to the modem directly first, then reconnect my router while everything is on, or b) turn everything on, with my Linksys connected to my PC, reset the Linksys, and go through all the motions dictated by the installation wizard.  Neither way is convenient, not to mention the wear and tear I subject my RJ plugs and ports and my router to.

To say that I am terribly exasperated would be an extreme understatement.  I’m considering asking a professional to come to the house and troubleshoot the whole darn thing.  What kind of person do I look for?  Where do I find such a troubleshooter?  I don't even know if I would be able to afford one.

Addendum:

I discovered this on my desktop after I tried installing the Belkin N300.  It gives a rundown of what the router tried to do to get an internet signal.  I don't know if it's helpful, but I'm posting it just the same in the hope that someone can decipher the problem for me.

Belkin Log File Starts...

Friday, September 30, 11  15:13:53.622 - A: Disconnected wired adapter found at startup
Friday, September 30, 11  15:15:05.103 - H: Wan connectivity check failed, no internet connection
Friday, September 30, 11  15:15:08.543 - J: PPPOE failed: Default error
Friday, September 30, 11  15:15:41.576 - G: No internet
Friday, September 30, 11  15:15:41.583 - L: User advised to restart modem
Friday, September 30, 11  15:15:41.584 - N: Unable to set new MAC address in router: No internet
Friday, September 30, 11  15:22:52.810 - G: Three minute timer expired without connection
Friday, September 30, 11  15:22:56.240 - L: User advised to restart modem
Friday, September 30, 11  15:22:56.241 - J: PPPOE failed: Default error
Friday, September 30, 11  15:25:09.155 - M: User advised to restart router
Friday, September 30, 11  15:37:59.904 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:38:59.961 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:39:59.966 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:41:00.001 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:42:00.026 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:43:00.060 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:43:11.996 - G: Static IP WAN status check failed
Friday, September 30, 11  15:44:00.075 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:45:00.100 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:46:00.145 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:47:00.170 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:48:00.181 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:48:44.413 - G: Static IP WAN status check failed
Friday, September 30, 11  15:49:00.204 - G: Ten minute timer expired without connection, showing static ip page
Friday, September 30, 11  15:50:43.809 - H: Wan connectivity check failed, no internet connection
Friday, September 30, 11  15:50:47.265 - J: PPPOE failed: Default error
Friday, September 30, 11  15:51:20.299 - G: No internet
Friday, September 30, 11  15:51:20.302 - L: User advised to restart modem
Friday, September 30, 11  15:51:20.302 - N: Unable to set new MAC address in router: No internet

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
switch providers. it's the only thing left.

that or gremlins in your electrical/phone lines :P
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>