Author Topic: re: "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread  (Read 2837 times)

Offline dta

re: "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:12:59 PM »
I noticed that a number of messages in the Hardware are now locked and suggested to use the "Perpetual Hardware suggestion" thread.

I haven't check the "Perpetual Hardware suggestion" message thread yet.

What I notice though is that some of the messages that get locked are dealing with a specific product item. (eg. a specific brand/model video card or motherboard). In my humble opinion, if it's about a specific brand or model of hardware, maybe it would be good to have its own thread continued and not "bunched up" with a "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread.

My interpretation (correct me if I'm mistaken) of the "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread is that it's for say, "what's the best P45 motherboard currently" or "what's the fastest flash drive" or "the most reliable something". Members will then get to post various brands/models of stuff in one thread.

However, if we collate the single/specific model of hardware (eg. video card, motherboard) with the rest of the items in a "perpetual hardware" thread, it might be hard to find info in a gigantic message thread..

I often use the "Search" tool of PinoyPC to find references or subjective experiences of certain pieces of hardware from the members (be it from an older thread or maybe a newer, say a few weeks-old thread). If lumped together, it might be cumbersome to sift page-by-page for that item if it's collated inside the single big thread.

Anyway, just my opinion..

(having a "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread is actually a great idea... just have to be specific how it's used and it's known by the members how to use it appropriately).

[added]
Ok, after sifting a few more message posts. I think I get the raison d'Ítre of the locked threads -- since they seem to mostly pertain to a single person's inquiry for building a PC, which probably would make sense if combined them to a single thread.

Offline baktol

Re: re: "perpetual hardware suggestion" thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »
I actually think a perpetual hardware suggestion thread is already redundant since there's already a section for "Hardware".

I personally prefer having separate threads for each inquiry.  You just read the title and you know what particular hardware the thread's about.

Emaxx EMX-780G-ACC / AMD Sempron 140@3.01GHz / Kingston Value RAM 4GB (2GB*2) / LiteOn 24x DVD-RW / HEC Raptor 500W / Seagate 500GB SATA / Seagate 80GB SATA / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »
I think it has more to do with those threads having the same threadstarter.

Offline jorussic

• Moderators
    • My LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
Sorry for the sudden outburst in locking threads.
I may have been a tad reckless.

Offline lowie82ph

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
and since sa december pa siya bibili, imagine how many more threads will be created? :-D
pirma

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »
and since sa december pa siya bibili, imagine how many more threads will be created? :-D

5 topics per week?
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline slide

• Veterans
  • Relax, I own j00
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:03:07 AM »

5 topics per week?

pinag sabihan ko rin.  technically flooding/post whoring na kasi yung ginagawa.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »
Sino ba yun???  Ahaha...
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline Simbadda

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:18:42 AM »
demanding ba siya?
it puzzles me how women seem so fragile but they can hurt men more than they realize it.

i will give you 2000 czech crowns...

Offline khestoi2

• Night Shift Programmer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:10:42 AM »
wahaha sikat pala ako dito
sensya na
di ko naman kasi napapansin na may nagpopost dun sa thread na perpetual hardware na un
and may nakikita akong post na simmilar sa mga ipopost ko kaya ginaya ko na rin
sorry guyzz
Intel Pentium D 925 @ 3.0 Ghz
ASUS P5PE-VM Motherboard
Inno3D GeForce 7600GS 512mb AGP
1 GB Kingston ValueRam
Dynamo 500 Watts PSU
LG DVD-ROM
Samsung T220
290 GB Seagate/Western Digital SATA/IDE HDD
4 Sale!!! Pm Me for your offer.
Di kasama ang T220 at 250gig HDD

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:47:05 AM »
Perhaps when someone starts a new topic in the Hardware section, something like this should be visible:

If you are asking for suggestions on what hardware to buy, please post your query in the Perpetual Hardware Suggestions Thread (linked) or else your post will be deleted.

Offline reel

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »
its like this. if threads inquiring about hardware are like Want To Buy posts, the Hardware Suggestions Thread is like a Want To Sell post. people post in the thread posting their own suggestion, "review blog" style; as opposed to responding to other people's queries.

i think the reason naman with the thread locking is the spam. you essentially have over a dozen threads made by the same user, within the same month, ALL asking about which parts to buy for his single computer. then switching his attention to his newest thread, ignoring the previous ones, and would be asking the same questions on the newer thread. the biggest insult here, is the thread contemplating the purchase of a PSP instead of the computer that spawned shtloads of threads, which would be wasting the responses of others.

i think the lesson here is dont spam. just like how posters on the WTB section is limited to one thread for all his items.

wala naman problema sa pagtatanong eh, wag lang parang bata na, "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?...."
Save Earth. Eat Plastic.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
wala naman problema sa pagtatanong eh, wag lang parang bata na, "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?...."

And it's not December yet for the goodies, hehehe..

@reel, you hit it right on the dot. :mellow:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 10:50:26 AM »
wag lang parang bata na, "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?...."

YOU GOT REAL! reel!

Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline Simbadda

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
^^ Do you really want to hurt me
Do you really want to make me cry
it puzzles me how women seem so fragile but they can hurt men more than they realize it.

i will give you 2000 czech crowns...

Offline arbee

• Veterans
    • flickr
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »
are we there yet?
what is certain in this world is uncertainty...

Offline intelathlon

• im complicated
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
i think the reason naman with the thread locking is the spam. you essentially have over a dozen threads made by the same user, within the same month, ALL asking about which parts to buy for his single computer. then switching his attention to his newest thread, ignoring the previous ones, and would be asking the same questions on the newer thread. the biggest insult here, is the thread contemplating the purchase of a PSP instead of the computer that spawned shtloads of threads, which would be wasting the responses of others.
i agree to this

nung una may first reactions where: baka he just got excited on which parts to get,and hes just making sure its the right one. kaso nung napunta sa psp....

unang beses ko atang nakakita ng ganun karaming lock treads..jorusic nagulat ako dun ah :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dnaldrei/

Nikon D7000 / nikkor17-50 /nikkor 70-200vc/sigma 105macro