Author Topic: Perpetual Hardware Suggestion Thread  (Read 61549 times)

Offline suavegabe

Re: Perpetual Hardware Suggestion Thread
« Reply #500 on: April 10, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
I'm currently planning on switching from ITX to mATX and actually already got a mobo for it. Need suggestions on a good mATX case. I'm currently considering either the Fractal Node 804 or the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv but leaning more on Fractal because of the price difference (5.3k vs 6.5k). Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Core i5 6500 | MSI B250M Mortar | 16gb G. Skill Rip Jaws V | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 4gb | Fractal Node 804 | Noctua U12s | Logitech G-Pro | Logitech G502 Core | Swans m50w | Viewsonic XG2401

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #501 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
The Tecware Carbon looks promising, and affordable too.
https://www.tecware.asia/carbon

Jonsbo aluminum uATX cases don't seem to have the best ventilation, my teammate has one and his itx-sized GTX970 heats it up bad, considering aircon ambient temps. They also have lower limits on sizes for GPU length/CPU HSF height/# of storage devices as well. Good WAF though.

I would've gone with a Node 804 myself if it wasn't for the right-side mounted USB/audio plus the extreme width. Ended up with a Silverstone SG09 instead.  The design has some silly constraints like the 3-pin PSU socket requiring specific orientation (which not even all of Silverstone's PSUs support), plus a lack of water-cooling support/cable management options. However, it fit my space constraints (limited table depth and width), supported multiple fans (currently running 3 intake/3 exhaust), had front-mounted USB3/audio ports, and was cheaper than the Node 804.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline suavegabe

« Reply #502 on: April 10, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
^thanks! I'm actually using a Jonsbo VR1 right now and the main concern is the GPU temp. the case looks good with the brushed aluminium, tempered glass and all but I'm constantly hitting 89 C on the GPU at full load. 89 C is still safe for a RX 480 but with the side panel removed, temps go down by at least 10 C. one of the reasons why I'm eyeing the node 804 is that I can probably put fans right below the GPU and direct more air there.

I did some measurements on my desk and the 804 looks like it would fit. you're right though about the right-side mounted USB and audio; though the Enthoo Evolv also has those on the right side as well.

I've read about the tecware carbon and it's a good case for the price. there are some issues about the quality, though that doesn't surprise me because of the price.

The corsair air 240's innards also look good, but again, I've been reading about quality issues about it. It's also more expensive than the node 804 and the front panel is plastic unlike the node 804's aluminium.

or maybe I'll try to wait for the InWin 301 and pray that the price won't be too high.
Core i5 6500 | MSI B250M Mortar | 16gb G. Skill Rip Jaws V | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 4gb | Fractal Node 804 | Noctua U12s | Logitech G-Pro | Logitech G502 Core | Swans m50w | Viewsonic XG2401

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #503 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:48 PM »
The InWin 301 retails for SGD130, not too bad.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
I just ordered a Synology Diskless NAS appliance so now I'm trying to decide whether to get WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf HDDs to go with it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Ironwolf HDDs because they're faster than WD Reds and they have exclusive drive monitoring features enabled in Synology's DSM NAS OS but what about reliability? Are WD Reds still the safer choice when it comes to reliability?

I will be using the NAS as a file and DLNA/UPnP media server with P2P downloading running in the background constantly.

Offline sandstig

• Administrator
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »
I just ordered a Synology Diskless NAS appliance so now I'm trying to decide whether to get WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf HDDs to go with it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Ironwolf HDDs because they're faster than WD Reds and they have exclusive drive monitoring features enabled in Synology's DSM NAS OS but what about reliability? Are WD Reds still the safer choice when it comes to reliability?

I will be using the NAS as a file and DLNA/UPnP media server with P2P downloading running in the background constantly.

Willing to mix and go 50/50 on Red/Red Pros and Ironwolfs? Btw, seems like not all Ironwolfs are 7200rpm. A bit confusing that they use the same brand for their 5900rpm and 7200rpm products.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »

Willing to mix and go 50/50 on Red/Red Pros and Ironwolfs? Btw, seems like not all Ironwolfs are 7200rpm. A bit confusing that they use the same brand for their 5900rpm and 7200rpm products.

Oh yeah, the 5900rpm Ironwolves are still faster than the 5400rpm non-pro Reds in benchmarks, specially in IOPS IIRC.

I thought about mixing them up too since I'll do RAID or SHR eventually but I'm going for a single drive for now with the intention to add more as needed later so I was wondering which brand to start out with first.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
a friend of mine's looking to buy a laptop in 15K-20K range. i'll paste what she's looking for below:

Good memory. Does nt lag esp wen online
Built in windows
Built in ms ofc - preferably
Decent batt life
Built in wifi and bluetooth,
Dvd drive - prferably
Camera
Nt too heavy

is there a laptop that's within her budget? and she's planning to buy from lazada. thanks!

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
i mean, could you guys help me narrow down a specific notebook that fits her needs? the reason why i asked instead of searching for it myself is because i am confused by lazada's different prices for what looks like notebooks with similar brand and specs. i am also not as familiar with mobile technology (the processors mystify me the most)  with their desktop equivalents.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #510 on: May 25, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
i think office bundling with laptops (Office 365) is just a trial now that M$ has moved to subscription model for office apps. you may have to install an older version of office to get full office apps now.

Offline hungree

« Reply #511 on: May 25, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
a friend of mine's looking to buy a laptop in 15K-20K range. i'll paste what she's looking for below:

Good memory. Does nt lag esp wen online
Built in windows
Built in ms ofc - preferably
Decent batt life
Built in wifi and bluetooth,
Dvd drive - prferably
Camera
Nt too heavy

is there a laptop that's within her budget? and she's planning to buy from lazada. thanks!

Most laptops now have ms office installed but usable for 30 days. Office 365 1yr subs costs ~2.4k  while Office Home and Student cost around 4.6k.

Offline altec

« Reply #512 on: May 25, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
I've been casually window-shopping myself for lappies.

Unfortunately, it seems I3 spec'ed notebooks like the asus x455lf and acer e5-475g are out of your range. Huwag Celeron.

First, Sephi, do determine too the screen size she's going for. I'm happy with my 15.6"-er but then i don't travel with it much. If you do take it around, mukahng mga 13-14" sana

I don't own these but judging from the specs, and with ur budget in mind and screen size:

#16  Asus X455LA @ 22K. Intel Core i3-4005u 1.7GHz, 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, Windows 10
http://www.villman.com/Category-Brand/Notebook-PCs/Asus

#17.  Acer Aspire ES1-433 (Black/Denim Blue) @ 20K 14-in HD Core i3-6006U/4GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics/Windows 10

#15.  Acer Aspire One 14 Z1402-34M3 @ 19k LINUX
I'm not saying buy at Villman, maganda lang layout ng kanilang website, naka sort lappy's nila by price. =)

http://www.villman.com/Category-Brand/Notebook-PCs/Acer_

Hindi ko na tiningnan yung dell, pero maganda din namang brand yun.

OT: Glad that when you shop for Hedgren bags, the label tells you how big of a screen-size lappy will fit.
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #513 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
i think office bundling with laptops (Office 365) is just a trial now that M$ has moved to subscription model for office apps. you may have to install an older version of office to get full office apps now.
Most laptops now have ms office installed but usable for 30 days. Office 365 1yr subs costs ~2.4k  while Office Home and Student cost around 4.6k.
noted and info sent to her. thanks!

Unfortunately, it seems I3 spec'ed notebooks like the asus x455lf and acer e5-475g are out of your range. Huwag Celeron.

First, Sephi, do determine too the screen size she's going for. I'm happy with my 15.6"-er but then i don't travel with it much. If you do take it around, mukahng mga 13-14" sana

I don't own these but judging from the specs, and with ur budget in mind and screen size:

#16  Asus X455LA @ 22K. Intel Core i3-4005u 1.7GHz, 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, Windows 10

#17.  Acer Aspire ES1-433 (Black/Denim Blue) @ 20K 14-in HD Core i3-6006U/4GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics/Windows 10

I'm not saying buy at Villman, maganda lang layout ng kanilang website, naka sort lappy's nila by price. =)

OT: Glad that when you shop for Hedgren bags, the label tells you how big of a screen-size lappy will fit.
the Acer Aspire ES1-433 seems to be available at Lazada at a lower cost than at Villman.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/acer-aspire-es1-433-38dr-intel-core-i3-4gb-windows-10-laptopmidnight-black-12537579.html?ff=1

i sent her the link and i hope that's good enough for her. i'll let you know. thanks!

i doubt she's gonna play games on the laptop so that should suffice. she's also asking me for cellphone suggestions that will enable her to take pictures of X-rays and CT Scans, so i suppose she'll need the laptop to help her get a better, larger view of the photos.

Offline uvax

« Reply #514 on: May 25, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
noted and info sent to her. thanks!

the Acer Aspire ES1-433 seems to be available at Lazada at a lower cost than at Villman.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/acer-aspire-es1-433-38dr-intel-core-i3-4gb-windows-10-laptopmidnight-black-12537579.html?ff=1

i sent her the link and i hope that's good enough for her. i'll let you know. thanks!

i doubt she's gonna play games on the laptop so that should suffice. she's also asking me for cellphone suggestions that will enable her to take pictures of X-rays and CT Scans, so i suppose she'll need the laptop to help her get a better, larger view of the photos.

Your link says the seller is PC Express. You might as well inquire directly with them.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #515 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
Your link says the seller is PC Express. You might as well inquire directly with them.
thanks. but she's so busy she probably won't have time to goto PCX, so she'll have to have the item delivered to her home. also, i checked the PCX pricelist and the same model costs P19,999 for some reason.

when i asked what she will use the PC for, here are the tasks she usually does with a PC:
"ms word, powerpoint, excel, pdf, save and copy pics, save and copy pdfs, type notes on word. Surf internet with multiple sites, download video for reporting... Do research work most of d tym. Upload and backup data on cloud storage and also print files."

that Acer laptop should be more than enough for those, right?

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #516 on: May 25, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
I will get a laptop when RYZEN releases one! woot!
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline Capcom

« Reply #517 on: May 25, 2017, 10:37:37 PM »
thanks. but she's so busy she probably won't have time to goto PCX, so she'll have to have the item delivered to her home. also, i checked the PCX pricelist and the same model costs P19,999 for some reason.

saw an Acer Aspire.. forgot the model... I3 -6xx , 4gb DDR4 14" and etc.. selling for  just 16k @ lazada
seller is also pc express

when i asked what she will use the PC for, here are the tasks she usually does with a PC:
"ms word, powerpoint, excel, pdf, save and copy pics, save and copy pdfs, type notes on word. Surf internet with multiple sites, download video for reporting... Do research work most of d tym. Upload and backup data on cloud storage and also print files."

that Acer laptop should be more than enough for those, right?
Intel Core i5 2500, Asrock B75 , 8gb Crucial Ballistix , Palit GTX950 2GB , 80Gb Samsung EVO  ,2x3tb Seagate SV35, Razer Krait , FSP Aurum 600w

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #518 on: May 26, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
Got my kid a Acer Aspire ES1-433 for 18k a couple of months ago at PCHub.

She loves it. Kaso nga lang black lang available color and she wanted a pink laptop..

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #519 on: May 26, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
How's this?

I'll admit medyo dubious ang seller name na "Kwan" and no reviews for the product yet but then there's Lazada buyer protection.

Lenovos are not much to look at but they're workhorses. Having multiple web browser tabs open use up quite a lot of memory so she'd better prepare to shell out a little more for a RAM upgrade.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk