Author Topic: paano kung ang gas ay nsa 100 pesos = 1 Liter ?  (Read 10224 times)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: paano kung ang gas ay nsa 100 pesos = 1 Liter ?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
After the P10 fare on jeeps gets approved, it wont be quite so cheap to commute either.
fhtagn

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
a real mass transportation system is the key.  no more PUJs/FXs and PUBs in the metropolis.

speed up planning and implementation of additional MRT/LRT routes.  Put more LRT coaches/trains on-line.

One benefit I am looking forward to when gas becomes too un-affordable is the reduction in the numbers of the illegal tricycles plying our already congested roads.  Puwede ba i-export mga tricycle drivers?

Offline Ulysses

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Who Killed the Electric Car?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F

Who Killed the Electric Car? is a 2006 documentary film that explores the birth, limited commercialization, and subsequent death of the battery electric vehicle in the United States, specifically the General Motors EV1 of the 1990s. The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology....

....The film deals with the history of the electric car, its development and commercialization, mostly focusing on the General Motors EV1, which was made available for lease in Southern California, after the California Air Resources Board passed the ZEV mandate in 1990, as well as the implications of the events depicted for air pollution, environmentalism, Middle East politics, and global warming.

The film details the California Air Resources Board's reversal of the mandate after suits from automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, and the George W. Bush administration. It points out that Bush's chief influences, Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice, and Andrew Card, are all former executives and board members of oil and auto companies.

A large part of the film accounts for GM's efforts to demonstrate to California that there was no demand for their product, and then to take back every EV1 and dispose of them. A few were disabled and given to museums and universities, but almost all were found to have been crushed; GM never responded to the EV drivers' offer to pay the residual lease value ($1.9 million was offered for the remaining 78 cars in Burbank before they were crushed). Several activists are shown being arrested in the protest that attempted to block the GM car carriers taking the remaining EV1s off to be crushed....

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
motorcycle
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Offline Al

• Administrator
    • Trashcan of Thoughts
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 01:32:27 AM »
what about it?
Trashcan of Thoughts -- http://www.allibrero.com

Offline unratedx

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 04:21:26 AM »
guguho na mundo ayon kay Nostradamus
hopeless romantic.

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »
motorcycles use less gas

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 07:49:54 AM »
I heard from an engineer who works for a company that constructs oil refineries that China's economic boom is one of the reasons we are having oil shortage and therefore high oil prices. We can't halt China's advance, though.

Undoubtedly, conserving is one of the possible solutions. Less use of fuel will mean greater quantities available which will mean possible price cuts.

I think a combination of alternative sources of energy is the solution to our problems. Use of biofuels will cut our need for conventional fuel for cars. The use of solar or wind power will reduce dependence on electricity provided by Meralco. An so on.

While waiting for viable alternatives to become affordable we should tighten our belts and perhaps look to other sources of income. A Chinese friend of mine told me that "you do not solve drought by conserving water but by finding other sources of water." Since scientists are finding out ways on alternative energy sources, we should find ways to add to our income so that we can afford higher gas/fare rates without sacrificing necessities (or PC upgrades).

Most of us are knowledgeable in computers. We should use that to our advantage. We could offer PC repair or assembly services, programming or consultation. Most of us can do it part time so we can have extra income to spend or save.

And we shouldn't wait for prices reach P100 to a liter! We should start now so that we can have time to learn the ropes of whatever part time income we're developing.

Offline jarod_0122

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »
Eto yung mga ginawa ko para makatipid sa gastos para di ko maramdaman ang pagmahal ng gas..
     1. I bought a motorcycle. Used to spend P500 sa gas tuwing labas ko. Now I only spend P100.Cost me P65K
     2. Instead of using car nagpaasemble ako ng sidecar para sa isa pang motor. Everyday kasi P500 pesos ang inilalagay sa jeep para gamitin ng mga tauhan ko.Kung 2 bayan lang naman ang pupuntahan eto na yung pinapagamit namin. Saves P300 pesos kada labas.Spent P22k for the sidecar.
    3. Pulled out my aircon and replace it with an intake fan. Yung frame na bakal ng aircon sa labas eh binalutan ko na lang ng mosquito net para kahit pano me pansala sa alikabok. Nililinis to 2x a week.
    4. Replaced my light bulbs with CFC. Sa CR at labas ng bahay tig 5W lang. Cost less than P100 each.Sa sala isang 16W at isang 24W.Kanya kanyang switch.Dati 40w na flourescent bulb ang nakalagay.Now most of the time yung 16W lang ang ginagamit.
    5. Bought a timer for my ref. Cost me 500 pesos. But saves me P300 a month.
    6. Pinagpalit ko yung TV na 21" sa sala at yung sa kwarto namin na 14".Yung sa kwarto gabi lang nagagamit. Saves me P300.
   Kumpleto kami ng gamit sa bahay. But with all the adjustment that I made hindi man lang umaabot ng P1,000 ang bill ko.

Offline popoy

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:50 AM »
@jarod
where did you buy the ref timer for 500 pesos? ung mga nakikita 2k halos.  thanks.  Sa ngayon ginagawa  ko bago matulog hugot ref, then pag gising salpak ref.  Nakakatipid din about 400 more or less a month.
shit happens.

Offline Al

• Administrator
    • Trashcan of Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 08:59:08 AM »
itigil na lang yung paggamit nung mga PC's na kasing takaw ng aircon sa kuryente malaking tulong na yun. hehehe.

biofuels aren't the answer, i'm afraid. the way i see it. what you gain as fuel is actually taken away from food production. corn and soybean are a few of the most important crops in the world and production in the US as well as other countries has slumped because of biodiesel production. extracting from used oil is better -- i just don't know how much can be produced.

i don't think electric, hybrid and to some degree, even hydrogen powered cars in its present form are the answers either. not as long as you're only passing on fossil fuel combustion to something else, particularly an oil power plant.

A Chinese friend of mine told me that "you do not solve drought by conserving water but by finding other sources of water.
Apparently, they're applying the same philosophy when it comes to crude oil.

Offline rodion_herrera

• Avatrian, LLC
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »
I know this may be a bit farfetched to most of you down-to-earth people, but China and even the US are considering this fact--the lunar regolith (soil) contains Helium-3.

...The Moon's surface contains helium-3 at concentrations on the order of 0.01 ppm. A number of people, starting with Gerald Kulcinski in 1986, have proposed to explore the moon, mine lunar regolith and using the helium-3 for fusion. Because of the low concentrations of helium-3, any mining equipment would need to process large amounts of regolith, and some proposals have suggested that helium-3 extraction be piggybacked onto a larger mining and development operation.

Cosmochemist and geochemist Ouyang Ziyuan from the Chinese Academy of Sciences who is now in charge of the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program has already stated on many occasions that one of the main goals of the program would be the mining of helium-3, from where "each year three space shuttle missions could bring enough fuel for all human beings across the world."

In January 2006 the Russian space company RKK Energiya announced that it considers lunar helium-3 a potential economic resource to be mined by 2020, if funding can be found.

rest of entry here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

IMHO this is basically why China is interested in space exploration and the moon--it knows it's got a monster of a consumer and industrial economy just waking up, and unless it finds an energy source that's less harmful to the environment and less "depletable" (if there was such a word) than fossil fuels, it too will face a major energy crisis in the future.

-RODION

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 09:59:25 AM »
itigil na lang yung paggamit nung mga PC's na kasing takaw ng aircon sa kuryente malaking tulong na yun. hehehe.

biofuels aren't the answer, i'm afraid. the way i see it. what you gain as fuel is actually taken away from food production. corn and soybean are a few of the most important crops in the world and production in the US as well as other countries has slumped because of biodiesel production. extracting from used oil is better -- i just don't know how much can be produced.

i don't think electric, hybrid and to some degree, even hydrogen powered cars in its present form are the answers either. not as long as you're only passing on fossil fuel combustion to something else, particularly an oil power plant.

A Chinese friend of mine told me that "you do not solve drought by conserving water but by finding other sources of water.
Apparently, they're applying the same philosophy when it comes to crude oil.
Admittedly, biofuels is still in its crude (pun not intended) stage. I saw in nat geo a possibility of raising plankton in the ocean which can be converted to biofuels. No more need to compete for arable land. Of course, this will present unforeseen consequences to marine flora and fauna. let's hope this will at least partially solve the crisis.

The same engineer friend of mine told me that once new oil extractor and refineries are built, price of oil should go down - but by how much we don't know.

I saw in Mythbusters that filtered used vegetable oil can be used as diesel replacement. No need to modify a diesel engine. I don't know how this will affect the engine, though.

Offline Al

• Administrator
    • Trashcan of Thoughts
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
The same engineer friend of mine told me that once new oil extractor and refineries are built, price of oil should go down - but by how much we don't know.
That's probably the shortest term solution I've ever heard. Just like what that cough syrup commercial said -- that solution is only attacking the symptom, not the actual disease that is our over-dependence to fossil fuels.

I saw in Mythbusters that filtered used vegetable oil can be used as diesel replacement. No need to modify a diesel engine. I don't know how this will affect the engine, though.
It's called transesterification.

Offline lahar

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
In a pinch you could just pour used cooking oil into a diesel-engined vehicle. They did that on 5th Gear (beef fat actually). When Rudolf Diesel patented his engine it was actually designed to run on peanut oil. They just shifted to petroleum since its cheaper.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
It may drive oil prices down until viable alternatives could be found. I'd love it if scientists could somehow create a tree that bears fuel bearing fruit and at the same time breathes in a lot of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, but it's not going to happen soon. So in the meantime, we should use every valid solution we could find no matter how short term.

Offline Al

• Administrator
    • Trashcan of Thoughts
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
it would be interesting to see someone dare to use vegetable oil right out of the bottle in their modern diesel engine and determine the long term effect. may magtatangka ba dito? hehehehe.

I'd love it if scientists could somehow create a tree that bears fuel bearing fruit and at the same time breathes in a lot of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, but it's not going to happen soon.
Ask Monsanto. Sila magaling sa GMO e. And that's yet another sore spot. So, hopefully I hope it never happens.

So in the meantime, we should use every valid solution we could find no matter how short term.
The problem with short term solutions is that the problems they were supposed to solve eventually comes back to haunt us. Paulit ulit na to throughout the modern age. Short term thinking (as well as complacency) is what got us into this mess in the first place. So, I completely disagree.

The impacts to me are unacceptable especially if it involves fossil fuel extraction. If I was omnipotent, I'd say tough it out until a more permanent solution is in effect. I see little point in prolonging the agony of facing the inevitable.

Offline SPOZ

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
bike would be a great alternative here but your very prone to accidents specially at night and that would outweigh its benefits
Instead of regretting about the past, what's most important is to change the present for the future.

What Doesn’t Kill You, Make You Stronger!!!

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
it would be interesting to see someone dare to use vegetable oil right out of the bottle in their modern diesel engine and determine the long term effect. may magtatangka ba dito? hehehehe.

I'd love it if scientists could somehow create a tree that bears fuel bearing fruit and at the same time breathes in a lot of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, but it's not going to happen soon.
Ask Monsanto. Sila magaling sa GMO e. And that's yet another sore spot. So, hopefully I hope it never happens.

So in the meantime, we should use every valid solution we could find no matter how short term.
The problem with short term solutions is that the problems they were supposed to solve eventually comes back to haunt us. Paulit ulit na to throughout the modern age. Short term thinking (as well as complacency) is what got us into this mess in the first place. So, I completely disagree.

The impacts to me are unacceptable especially if it involves fossil fuel extraction. If I was omnipotent, I'd say tough it out until a more permanent solution is in effect. I see little point in prolonging the agony of facing the inevitable.
Which is why I suggested that we conserve and use our skills to earn more income.

Should we stop using short term alternatives then?

Offline rodion_herrera

• Avatrian, LLC
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
bike would be a great alternative here but your very prone to accidents specially at night and that would outweigh its benefits

I've tried commuting via my road bike from house to work and back again sometime in the early 2000's, and I've never had a single incident (I had one serious accident, but I was actually in a casual weekend race at the time, not commuting). Granted this was in a small provincial city, but still, this is how I see it--those who have become adept at riding bicycles will have lesser chances of meeting accidents than those who are still new to cycling, which is exactly the same with people who just purchased their first car--your first few kilometers with your new car could be one of some slight to moderate mishaps, but as time goes on, the gap between incidents will increase, until you realize you've become very adept at driving your vehicle and you seldom encounter accidents.

-RODION