Author Topic: May nabago ba sa myDSL ninyo?  (Read 149467 times)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Re: May nabago ba sa myDSL ninyo?
« Reply #1340 on: December 25, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
It probably is... I just couldn't test it since Speedtest is limited to ~100mbps

Is it? I remember getting 200/200 Speedtest results to the PLDT server in Makati and Pasig. This isn't mine but it's pretty recent:

fhtagn

Offline calvin

« Reply #1341 on: December 25, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
It probably is... I just couldn't test it since Speedtest is limited to ~100mbps

Is it? I remember getting 200/200 Speedtest results to the PLDT server in Makati and Pasig. This isn't mine but it's pretty recent:

It seems to be host/server dependent?
I switch to PLDT Pasig and this is what I got...

Offline motion55

« Reply #1342 on: December 25, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »

Some routers may be close to choking at these speeds.
Results on a browser:

Results on the app:

"Set your mind free!"

Offline borgy_t

• financial advisor
« Reply #1343 on: December 25, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
Speedof.me is more accurate
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | WD SN750 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | Logitech G102 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #1344 on: December 25, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »
Speedof.me is more accurate

for me it's not, -- especially on upload...
speedof.me always gives me this:

and speedtest is this:

and I'm using my home internet as a vpn server, and I can definitely get ~50Mbps of upload (upload from my house, and download from the office), but speedof.me says I have less than 10Mbps of upload
jeremypv

Offline calvin

« Reply #1345 on: December 25, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
speedof.me automatically sets the lowest latency as the host or server to test the connection...
but our connection and bandwidth to HongKong isn't quite good...

For a more realistic " Internet speed" test, I set speedtest.net's server to Seattle, Wa. (their own speedtest server)

Offline ris

« Reply #1346 on: December 25, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
im still getting 50mbps on my end.  but im okay with it since i dont have anything to download anyway....
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline borgy_t

• financial advisor
« Reply #1347 on: December 25, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
https://www.lifewire.com/speedof-me-review-2624877

Some internet speed test sites download small chunks of data and then extrapolate the results to tell you how fast your network can upload and download files. SpeedOf.Me is different in that it keeps testing the connection with larger and larger file samples until it takes longer than 8 seconds to complete.

Working this way means the results can be accurate for networks of all speeds, from the slowest to the fastest ones. Very smart.

Also, the fact that large, contiguous file samples are used means that the results are more closely related to an actual browsing experience where files are not downloaded in small pieces.
https://theapkwire.com/speedof-me-review/
  • SpeedOf.Me is a single threaded test while the remaining speed test services online are multi-threaded.
  • It makes use of a single connection for downloading the individual files which are familiar to what users really execute in their daily browsing and downloading.
  • SpeedOf.Me employs CDN for hosting its sample files that arenít similar to the routine servers with confined bandwidth.
  • This speed test uses primitive browser abilities instead of the third-party plugins such as Flash or Java that have their own burden.
  • A multi-threaded test is profoundly adapted that works in measuring the speed of your internet connection.
  • It has an exceptional algorithm that cannot be deceived by PowerBoost or comparable speed enrichment tools.
  • In brief, the results you get through the SpeedOf.Me speed test service is more realistic and representative of your genuine Internet quality service.
to be fair, speedtest is already HTML5 AFAIK.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | WD SN750 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | Logitech G102 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #1348 on: December 26, 2018, 03:14:36 AM »
I think they're both useful. speedof.me sort of represents the speed you get from a browser while handling single files, while speedtest.net is the peak speed possible from multiple connections or torrents and the like.

For my use case the speedtest.net result is more representative IMO.

Really happy about the boosted upload speed since I use my PC as a server for Plex and VMs of stuff I'm working on.
fhtagn

Online lahar

« Reply #1349 on: December 26, 2018, 05:35:24 AM »
IMO Speedtest and Speedofme are just benchmark numbers. If your Youtube streams and downloads are all good thennit doesn't matter what both of them spit out. My PS4, Macbook, Asus tablet and Xiaomi fone say I got 20-25/20-25 U/D but my Samsung tablet says I only get  5/5 U/D, even though YT is streaming in HD w/o any hiccups.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #1350 on: December 26, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
IMO Speedtest and Speedofme are just benchmark numbers. If your Youtube streams and downloads are all good thennit doesn't matter what both of them spit out.

for me, it matters, since I'm using my home connection with various services exposed, so I'm very keen with upload speeds, speedof.me derails this expectation as the number it provides is very low (only says less than 20% of the actual speed) from what I'm actually getting. as you've said, it's a benchmark, and a benchmark should 'represent' somewhat the actual, and it's the only way to test when I'm home, although I can get the actual throughput when i'm outside, still it will be alarming to see 10Mbps when you expect 25 or 50...
jeremypv

Online lahar

« Reply #1351 on: December 26, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »
IMO Speedtest and Speedofme are just benchmark numbers. If your Youtube streams and downloads are all good thennit doesn't matter what both of them spit out.

for me, it matters, since I'm using my home connection with various services exposed, so I'm very keen with upload speeds, speedof.me derails this expectation as the number it provides is very low (only says less than 20% of the actual speed) from what I'm actually getting. as you've said, it's a benchmark, and a benchmark should 'represent' somewhat the actual, and it's the only way to test when I'm home, although I can get the actual throughput when i'm outside, still it will be alarming to see 10Mbps when you expect 25 or 50...

Like I posted above, it can also depend on your device. All my devices except my Samsung tablet says I am getting the expected bandwidth.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #1352 on: December 26, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »

Like I posted above, it can also depend on your device. All my devices except my Samsung tablet says I am getting the expected bandwidth.
The problem with your device is the connection from your device to your wifi (not the speed from your modem to the ISP, which is what we are testing), youtube HD is 2.5Mbps and UP, so your 5Mbps speedtest is actually enough for HD youtube -- https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/#methodology
jeremypv

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #1353 on: December 26, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
Bagal naman ng Samsung tablet lol! Must be an "a" device.

Even the old 54Mbps "b" and "g" standards are good for around 20-25Mbps u/d measured on speedtest.

Youtube isn't a good way to test internet speed anymore because they've started to do rate limiting. The download speeds you get more or less correspond to the chosen video resolution and bitrate. Makes it a pain to download because even with a download manager pulling multiple chunks it can take a long time to finish a single video.
fhtagn

Online lahar

« Reply #1354 on: December 26, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Bagal naman ng Samsung tablet lol! Must be an "a" device.

Even the old 54Mbps "b" and "g" standards are good for around 20-25Mbps u/d measured on speedtest.

Youtube isn't a good way to test internet speed anymore because they've started to do rate limiting. The download speeds you get more or less correspond to the chosen video resolution and bitrate. Makes it a pain to download because even with a download manager pulling multiple chunks it can take a long time to finish a single video.

Its a Galaxy Tab S3 w/c the brchure says is already an AC. Not sure what is wrong with it. Even the old Nexus 7 from 2013 gets up to 25/25 U/D from Speedtest. Connecting the Samsung to Speedofme though yields 20-25, more ormless consistent with the other devices.

Offline ris

« Reply #1355 on: December 26, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
if its just downloading, what i do to test my speed is just download a large file from a good server.  like microsoft or linux.  what i download is a firmware of my past asus device.  if it measures 6MBps or more, then im would know that im really getting my actual speed.  the problem now is if the website youre download from has a good speed too.  i had experiences where it took a long time to download a file but speed tests show im getting 50mbps.  and when i try to download my test file(asus zenfone firmware), it still registers as 6MBps(50mbps).  so its the website that im downloading from that has an issue
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #1356 on: December 26, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
Wow! PLDT (purportedly) gave out Google routers as Christmas gifts for those subscribed to plan 200Mbps and up.
fhtagn

Offline uvax

« Reply #1357 on: December 26, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
That's probably in exchange for a 36 month lock-in period. Kind of like a retention plan. I'm on 20Mbps plan and I was offered a free Telpad in exchange for a 36 month lock-in period.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #1358 on: December 26, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
Two of my friends PLDT just delivered directly, no additional lock ins or anything. They are longstanding customers though. One had been paying P5,800 for 50Mbps until his plan was adjusted to 100Mbps and eventually to 200Mbps to keep the service in-line with current pricing.

The other hadn't got his yet coz PLDT refused to leave the Google wifi devices with the maid lol.

fhtagn

Offline motion55

« Reply #1359 on: December 27, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
Fiber Christmas day speed boost is now finished.

"Set your mind free!"