Author Topic: May nabago ba sa myDSL ninyo?  (Read 129737 times)

Offline motion55

Re: May nabago ba sa myDSL ninyo?
« Reply #1280 on: August 17, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
We are upgrading from DSL plan 999 (allegedly 5mbps) + phone to UNLI Fibr 1899. But because we are on a condo, the fiber cable is only up to the wiring closet at the ground floor. The last few meters will be using VDSL.

I said "alleged" because before the ADSL modem would indicate only a downstream rate of about 4mbps. We were getting only about 3.6mbps effective download rate and a piss poor 700kbs upload rate. Soon after we applied for the upgrade, the downstream rate went up to 20mbps. On Speedtest, we were getting 16mbps.

The technician delivered the VDSL modem the other day but did not proceed to upgrade because our line was "not yet activated". A PLDT inspector came this morning and wondered why we are still on ADSL.

The VDSL modem is model HG180U. I wonder if it is easy to switch to bridge mode. The pure fibr modem I am using at the office settings can't be changed. I asked PLDT to remotely switch it to bridge mode so I can forward ports from my router.

what floor is your unit in?
my classmate was able to ask the technician to install the fiber all the way to his unit on the 8th floor...

Yes it would be nice to have fiber all the way. The past few days rains have put a crackling sound to the dial tone.

We're at the 4th floor. It's a DMCI condo complex. It's a low rise condo (5floor building but over 20 units per floor). I think it might be possible to convince the installer to string the extra length of fiber to the unit itself as we are just above the wiring closet. But that would also mean switching modems from VDSL to a fibre modem.  I haven't met the installer as I am away during the day.

"Set your mind free!"

Offline motion55

« Reply #1281 on: August 17, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
congrats!! does this mean their customer service has people again? natengga yung supposed upgrade namin to fibr (pero malamang vdsl last few meters because condo din kami like you though lowrise), pupuntahan na dapat for site inspection, tapos di na natuloy nagkatanggalan na ng contractual. wtf.

My wife and son had gone to the PLDT office at Felix Avenue in Cainta. My wife noted the CSR people looked like the same ones she saw over 10 years ago when she applied for DSL, only older. The queue was quite long and it seemed to her almost everyone was applying for fibre.

It seems that the installers were contractual.

"Set your mind free!"

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #1282 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
^thanks dude. hmm it seems the recourse would be to go to a PLDT office instead of relying on sales agents.

nagsara na daw yung sa boni though so have to find another branch close to us (manda/pasig area).
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Online lahar

« Reply #1283 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
congrats!! does this mean their customer service has people again? natengga yung supposed upgrade namin to fibr (pero malamang vdsl last few meters because condo din kami like you though lowrise), pupuntahan na dapat for site inspection, tapos di na natuloy nagkatanggalan na ng contractual. wtf.

My wife and son had gone to the PLDT office at Felix Avenue in Cainta. My wife noted the CSR people looked like the same ones she saw over 10 years ago when she applied for DSL, only older. The queue was quite long and it seemed to her almost everyone was applying for fibre.

It seems that the installers were contractual.

Installers are independent contractors, not PLDT employees. Ang ginawa ko nag-apply lang via PLDT website and they installed it within a week, although it took another week for them to activate it. Strangely though, after 2 weeks another installer came calling. I suspect that the second was from the agent I applied with last year.

May loss of speed din when going from fiber to vdsl. See my sig. I subscribed on 100mbps fiber in Japan but only until the junction box outside the apartment building. Inside its normal copper line.

Offline calvin

« Reply #1284 on: August 18, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
^condo administrators will not like someone poking holes and stringing wire along corridor

they will still use the building's electrical cabinet...
most building administrators are open to this since it would mean no "electrical" appliance would be installed inside the electrical rooms of the building.

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #1285 on: August 22, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
does PLDT still give free email addresses for its DSL/Fibr customers?  Gusto ko kasi buhayin yung @pldtdsl.net na email address ko kung puwede pa

Offline calvin

« Reply #1286 on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »
does PLDT still give free email addresses for its DSL/Fibr customers?  Gusto ko kasi buhayin yung @pldtdsl.net na email address ko kung puwede pa

I think they've stopped this service already...

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #1287 on: August 26, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »
i bit the bullet and applied for Globe Fibr unli 20mbps, because PLDT never arrived for site inspection when we applied for upgrade due to their people problems. i hope it will be good.
there is a promo for PLDT subscribers, 499 per month for the first 3 months + 1000 installation fee payable in 3 months too
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #1288 on: August 26, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
if you need the upload bandwidth, you'll have a problem, otherwise, it's actually good.
jeremypv

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #1289 on: August 26, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
if you need the upload bandwidth, you'll have a problem, otherwise, it's actually good.
even if i only get around 3-5 mbps upload speed, especially because it's VDSL going up to our unit, i think it's totally fine. we are more of content consumers than creators ;D

Online lahar

« Reply #1290 on: August 27, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »
Yesterday I got 20Mbps down and 47Mbps up. Today I got 20 up and 23 down. On Plan 20Mbps.

Offline motion55

« Reply #1291 on: August 30, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »
We have finally been connected to "Fibr" only today. One week after applying, a technician visited our condo unit and left us the VDSL modem. He said our slot was not yet activated. An inspector came the next day and was surprised we were still on ADSL. Speaking to him over the phone from my office, he seemed surprised we were even on ADSL at all. He was expecting a new installation. A week after that, we lost internet. We are always directed to the "Subscriber payment reminder page".  The page instructed to call 171.

After 5 days of no internet and daily calls to 171, my wife went to the PLDT office yesterday to complain. The CSR assured my wife that action will be taken ASAP. She was also assured that Fibr in the form of VDSL is indeed available at our condo contrary to what the condo management office had said that it was not. It turns out the VDSL distribution box is not in the condo building itself but behind the guard house at the condo complex entrance over 100 meters away.

By noon today, they replaced the modem and running a quick speed test showed the speed to be 20mbps download and 15mbps upload. Ping at 21ms isn't as good as the 1-2ms of a fully Fiber connection bit hey after 5 days without internet, I will take it. I asked the installer if it is possible to switch the modem to bridge mode. They said they just do installation but the modem can be switched to bridge mode. I did check the modem status and the IP address it obtained is the same one when I check it from an external web site. So it is not shared.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #1292 on: August 31, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
^buti kayo pinuntahan ng pldt. kami wala talaga despite numerous followups and complaints for our requested upgrade to fiber. so we just switched to globe. 30mbps down 10mbps up 3-5ms ping, good enough for our needs. CAT5 connection so our PLDT landline/dsl is on standby for backup in case things go bad for globe.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1293 on: September 04, 2018, 06:45:33 AM »
Gonna get our pldt phone with dsl line disconnected soon. Fibr isn't available in the area where we're moving so I opted for converge fiberx. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's better than pldt.

By the way, pldt no longer requires the phone unit and modem to be surrendered before they cut the line. Disconnection is also immediate upon settling the account.

Online lahar

« Reply #1294 on: September 04, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
Gonna get our pldt phone with dsl line disconnected soon. Fibr isn't available in the area where we're moving so I opted for converge fiberx. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's better than pldt.

By the way, pldt no longer requires the phone unit and modem to be surrendered before they cut the line. Disconnection is also immediate upon settling the account.

Depends on your plan. Yung 5Mbps hihingin yung modem kasi libre from PLDT yun, pero yung phone unit iyo na yun.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1295 on: September 04, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

Depends on your plan. Yung 5Mbps hihingin yung modem kasi libre from PLDT yun, pero yung phone unit iyo na yun.
Really? I'll bring the units just in case. The customer rep I talked to said there was no need.

I just don't like that it's not possible to schedule the disconnection. Disconnection happens right at the moment you file and settle the final bill.

Online lahar

« Reply #1296 on: September 04, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »
What I did was wait for the new line to be activated then, when it was all up and running went to the nearest PLDT office and asked that it be disconnected, surrendering the modem and the filter and paying the balance (its pro-rated so you only pay the amount up to the date of disconnection). After that you will get a call to confirm the disconnection.

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #1297 on: September 07, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »
i had our pldt line (plan 999 + landline 5mbps) disconnected today. i had to return both the modem and the landline

Offline motion55

« Reply #1298 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
I managed to switch PLDT's VDSL modem router to bridge mode last night. Getting info to do this was not easy. Even with the info, you have to go through several steps to just access the super user pages. The ping times dropped a few msec but it is still double digits to the pldt server.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1299 on: September 17, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
i had our pldt line (plan 999 + landline 5mbps) disconnected today. i had to return both the modem and the landline
Finally had our old line disconnected. Not sure what the plan name was but it was landline with 5Mbps (started from 784kbps to 1Mbps to 3Mbps to 5Mbps with each upgrade of pldt). They didn't take the landline unit nor the just-a-few-months old modem even though I already had both with me.