Author Topic: VPN change or router upgrade?  (Read 161 times)

Offline wickwire

VPN change or router upgrade?
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:41 AM »
So I’ve been subscribed to Express VPN for roughly 4 months with Converge as the IsP. First 2 months have been great.. hooked up my Hbo go, Netflix, Prime etc. And this is hooked up via an Apple Tv with their mediastreamer guide and the dedicated dns. Unfortunately since then, Converge or Express vpn ‘disconnects’ the mediastreamer capability. Purchased content will play, but streaming services (other than youtube) won’t. The ‘fix’ would be re entering the dns or deleting and re adding hostname etc. and frankly those steps are getting tedious.

I have returned since then and long distance family tech support is very challenging. Is it worth investing in an Express vpn router or get a different vpn provider? Btw the vpn app works with IOS devices and android devices alike flawlessly. But who wants to watch on a tiny screen? Suggestions appreciated.
iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
Samsung S8 S9+
Samsung Note8 for work
Alienware R13 2017 GTX1060 Oled
Macbook Air 13 thin, light and unapologetically dated, yet I use it more than my Alien

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Re: VPN change or router upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:31:28 AM »
Btw the vpn app works with IOS devices and android devices alike flawlessly. But who wants to watch on a tiny screen?

Chromecast.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline calvin

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
a VPN enabled router would be your least tedious option...

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:29:12 PM »
Are you using the modem/router from Converge? I'm not sure if you have a good one but the one that came with my FiberX plan is pretty crappy. Devices losing Wi-Fi connection randomly.

I have since disabled the wireless router function and replaced it with a Tenda AC7 router.

Offline wickwire

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »
@ barurutor

I'll prolly do that too.. however doesn't Chromecast work by casting from your phone/device similar to how airplay is implemented? So if I cast with vpn 'on' then devices may not 'see' each other.

@ calvin

I am leaning on doing that since it may be the 'simplest' but most expensive solution. The 'certified' ExpressVpn routers aren't cheap at all.

@ WallyWest

Yup. Forgot the brand though, but definitely not a Tenda. We have a Tenda router for our PLDT though. Connection was rock solid while I was there, it was more like the software side of things or how should I put it.. the 'masking of geo location' side of things would always come undone.

@ all

I apologize networking jargon isn't my strong suit.
iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
Samsung S8 S9+
Samsung Note8 for work
Alienware R13 2017 GTX1060 Oled
Macbook Air 13 thin, light and unapologetically dated, yet I use it more than my Alien

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
You can mirror your Android/IOS device screen on the chromecast, it won't try to stream the video directly from Netflix etc.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>