Author Topic: PLDT DSL modem / router defective?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline dta

PLDT DSL modem / router defective?
« on: December 20, 2007, 02:05:33 PM »
I just "survived" through almost 2 weeks of no PLDT DSL (no Internet... :-(  )

The PLDT DSL problem started like this:

While browsing the web, the DSL suddenly got disconnected (I forgot to look at the DSL modem/router to see if there's DSL indicator was lit or not; but I think it was still lit up, indicating there's DSL signal on the PLDT line).

background:
The PDLT supplied DSL modem/router is Efficient Network's Siemens Speedstream 5100 DSL modem (router). It was formerly already set up as router mode (when I first subscribed to PLDT DSL almost 2 years ago, that was already the configuration [I notice that more often than not, most PLDT DSL subscription now have the DSL modem set not as router mode but as bridge/PPPoE mode])

I noticed that my PC has been showing the network icon "Acquiring Network Address" and it gets stuck there for a long time. Until finally it becomes "Automatic Private Address" and "Limited or No Connectivity" (I'm using Windows XP).

I've experienced PLDT DSL outages more than a handful of times before (in the last nearly 2 years). But I've always been able to get an IP address from the Speedstream 5100 modem/router (ie. "Assigned by DHCP") even during DSL outages.

initial suspect:
Thus I suspect that there's a problem with the Speedstream DSL modem/router.

initial diagnosis:
I called up PLDT DSL the next day to inform the no-DSL problem. I also informed them that I suspect the DSL modem/router is defective.

The following day, PLDT technical team went to my place (it was surprising to see them act quite fast) to check the DSL connection. Unfortunately during that time, although the PC's network icon is showing "Acquiring Network Address" / "No or Limited Connectivity", that time the DSL indicator of the DSL modem was also not lit up, indicating there was no DSL signal being received.

The PLDT technician called up their office and said that there's indeed a "problem" with the PLDT node and that it's not on my end.  I had insisted that there might be a problem with the DSL modem itself too (since the PC could get "Assigned by DHCP" status before, even when the DSL/phone line isn't connected to the modem).

But the tech guy said to wait for the "PLDT node" problem to get resolved before they check the DSL modem.

~~~~~

my troubleshooting
That afternoon, I notice that the DSL indicator of the DSL modem is already lit up, but it's still stuck at the "Acquiring network address" / "limited connectivity".  I tried to enter "http://speedstream/" and also "http://192.168.1.1" to access the DSL modem's Web Configuration Interface (I had configured the modem's built-in firewall settings before and also have some familiarity navigating thru the various menus there, although I didn't try to change the settings which I don't understand -- I had downloaded the Speedstream 5100 modem's manual from the mfr website though).

I can't access the router itself -- not even using My Network Places | Show uPnP icons (I had uPnP service installed from Windows XP Setup).

I "hard-reset" the DSL modem's RESET button to try resetting the DSL modme to it's factory default state (ie. ROUTER mode). Maybe the DSL modem had been accidentally switched to bridge mode (thus the "no web configuration interface").  But after the power indicator turned red (indicates the modem has been RESET), I powered down the PC and modem and tried accessing the DSL modem/router -- it still can't connect to the DSL modem/router's web interface. There was no DSL either.

~~~~~

For about 7 or 8 days, I religiously called up PLDT's 171 hotline to report my DSL problem (sometimes twice a day), the tech support guy/girl just informed me that there's a problem with the PLDT DSL node. Was getting really annoyed at PLDT service at this time... but what could I do?

On the 8th day (I think), PLDT 171 tech support told me that a PLDT technical team has been informed to dispatch to my place. It took another 2 days before another PLDT technician actually showed up at my place again.

{ In the meantime during those around 10 days, I had been getting DSL indicator lights on (indicates there's DSL connection/signal), but I can't access the Internet (no "Assigned by DHCP" status -- it's either "manually configured" or "automatic private address", "limited or no connectivity." }

Finally, when the PLDT technician arrived, he mentioned that the PLDT DSL node is already up & functioning, however, we still can't access the Internet from my place. He then asked for the username/password and proceeded to create a PPPoE dialer connection in Windows XP and we're indeed able to connect to the Internet.  What a 2-weeks relief, DSL again at last!

===>>>

BOTTOM LINE:
I'm just wondering, from the above scenario, it looks like I could probably have solved the problem earlier if I had just assumed that the Speedstream 5100's router function was damaged/disabled accidentally so that it can't be a DHCP server (can't assigned IP address via DHCP).

How could I justify to PLDT that I hadn't need to "DIAL UP" the "PLDT PPPoE" dialer before but instead, I just need to TURN ON the DSL modem to have automatic DSL connection. Now, it's a hassle to have to dial up to connect to the DSL.

~~~~~

In hindsight, do you think if I had attempted creating a PPPoE dialer in my Windows XP, I could have solved this problem a week ago?

QUESTION 1
I can't access the Speedstream's web configuration interface anymore to change the settings, even after the hard reset. (http://192.168.1.1 nor http://speedstream doesn't access that DSL modem/router anymore)   Is this a DSL modem/router defect -- being unable to be configured as "ROUTER" mode anymore?

I doubt it's possible to complain to PLDT that their provided DSL modem/router cannot be set as "Router" mode anymore since it's the DSL modem that provides DSL (the router part might be considered as a "bonus" only.

QUESTION 2

Of course, there's also a downside, because I used to connect the DSL modem to my network switch (share Internet to 2 Ethernet-wired PCs). Now I'm not sure if it's possible to get 2 PCs connect to the network switch since the DSL modem now has to be "PPPoE Dialed-up" to connect to the Internet... (where before it's automatically connected via the web configuration interface, which has the PLDT DSL username/password saved inside the DSL modem/router).

How does one share a DSL connection if I only have the PLDT-supplied DSL modem (no router function anymore) in BRIDGE mode and my 8-port network switch? Do I configured both PCs to attempt auto-dial-up the PPPoE account?  If that's the case, how do I share the DSL?

ie.   DSL line --->  DSL modem (no router)  ---> network switch ==>   PC 1   and   PC 2

I know that there's a solution to the above by buying my own router (maybe a wireless router) that can initiate the "auto-dial-up" of the PPPoE.  I have only a very limited experience with wireless router when I helped him set up his wireless router (my friend was not tech-savvy...) and I noted that his PLDT DSL just used "Automatic IP". (I asked him for his PLDT username/password but he didn't know and we called up PLDT 171 and asked. The tech support says that their DSL doesn't have a username/password, which sounded strange to me. but anyway...)

In my case, I probably have to use the "PPPoE, supply username and password" option for the wireless router.

in which case, it would look like this:

DSL line --> DSL modem (no more router :(  ) --> wireless router --> (optional network switch) --> PC 1 & PC 2  & (wireless laptop of an uncle who lives next door -- I think his wireless laptop is near enough to our place to share using our DSL... ;-)  )

[of course, the wireless router would become another Christmas-time spending...]

But I'm still wondering how do I diagnose that indeed the Speedstream 5100 DSL modem now has it's "router" features really disabled/damaged?

~~~~~~~
question 3
BTW, does a Wireless Access Point also give out DHCP-assigned IP addresses or they don't have router function? Because I notice that Wireless APs cost nearly the same as Wireless Routers.

~~~~~~~

Now, I have to call up PLDT 171 Billing to demand a rebate for the almost 2 weeks that my DSL has been down. I'm not sure if they need a written statement...

Another thing, my DSL connection has been around 700+ kbps from September till it went down on December.

While I was calling up 171 for the past week, I also inquired what's the speed they give for Plan 1995 subscribers and the tech support told me that if it's NGN, then the maximum is about 2mbps.

However, I'm still on the old line, so my maximum is 1.2mbps (I was getting around 1.1mbps from early this year up to September  -- the time it dropped to 384kbps for about 2 weeks before it was reinstated to 700kbps for the next 2 months).

When the PLDT technician came to my place, created the PPPoE dialer and was able to have DSL again, I tested the bandwidth and it hovers around 700+ kbps again. I told the technician that I'm supposed to get around 1.1mbps (I already had that speed for several months before).  The PLDT technician at first didn't budge but after my insistence, he called up their PLDT office and I think he mentioned some port numbers.

(The PLDT technician mentioned that Plan 1995 should be getting a minimum of 700+ kbps up to around 1.2mbps maximum (non-NGN) and that I'm at the low-end (but still within the PLDT "norm", which is why he was reluctant to upgrade my speed.)

We powered down the modem first for 2 minutes, upon resuming connection, he says that my speed should be faster, and indeed it's now back to ~1.1mbps.

From this last statement, it seems that it should have been possible for me to have 1.1mbps speed from September to December if I had called a PLDT technician to my place and then let him call up the PLDT office to inform them of "port numbers" so that I could have the 1.1mbps that the Plan 1995 is offering for non-NGN subscribers.  I guess they're content that their subscribers can get 700+ kbps (for Plan 1995).

Offline motion55

Re: PLDT DSL modem / router defective?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:41:19 PM »
Your DSL connection seems to be via PPPoE from the very beginning. It might be that your modem was originally setup to dial for you and that is why it automatically connects from power up. Somehow that setup was reset. What is inconsistent is that you seem to know the username and password yet you assume you don't need it.

Answer to question#1
If you have a dialer on the PC and it is running, it is possible you can't access the modem, if the PC does not know to get to it.

To explain, the PC has a routing table. This routing table indicates what network interface the PC will use to send packets to depending upon the IP address of the destination. The PPPoE dialer is a separate network interface from the LAN card even if it is using the LAN card as a vehicle to send packet through. Remember is PPP over Ethernet. The PC might be sending packets intended for 192.168.1.1 through the PPPoE interface instead of the LAN interface.

Since you need a dialer, try assigning a static IP to you ethernet (LAN) interface of 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is 2-254.

Question2: How does one share a DSL connection if I only have the PLDT-supplied DSL modem (no router function anymore) in BRIDGE mode and my 8-port network switch? Do I configured both PCs to attempt auto-dial-up the PPPoE account?  If that's the case, how do I share the DSL?

Answer: Buy a separate router. All routers have PPPoE dialer. This is the preferred solution over using the modem's built-in router specially if you use torrents heavily.

question 3
BTW, does a Wireless Access Point also give out DHCP-assigned IP addresses or they don't have router function? Because I notice that Wireless APs cost nearly the same as Wireless Routers.

Most of them do if you enable their DHCP server. By default the DHCP servers are disabled because these don't know what is the IP address of gateway. Most APs cost a little bit more than wireless router because fewer of them are sold.

You have probably a marginal DSL line and that is probably limiting your speed and causing the blinking DSL LED.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline dta

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:43:55 AM »
Your DSL connection seems to be via PPPoE from the very beginning. It might be that your modem was originally setup to dial for you and that is why it automatically connects from power up. Somehow that setup was reset. What is inconsistent is that you seem to know the username and password yet you assume you don't need it.

Pardon if my convoluted post is sort of ambiguous..

I guess what I really wanted to say was that, I'd like to get back into the Speedstream 5100 DSL modem's Web Configuration Interface. But even after resetting the modem (pressing and holding the RESET button), it doesn't go into Router mode anymore (previously [before it became "defective"] after a hard reset, I was able to access this modem's web configuration but now, it won't connect to the router).

Do you think there's still some other way to make the modem have the router web configuration page?

Another reason for my "insistence" of getting into the web configuration / router mode for this PLDT-supplied Speedstream DSL modem is that I recall the "router" mode has a "firewall" which I had enabled before. Now, it would appear that the DSL modem only is in "Bridge" mode, ergo, no firewall. I'm only using Windows XP SP2 firewall at the moment (as much as possible, I don't like to use more 3rd-party softwares since they typically are a bit obstrusive for me -- I like the fastest possible speed, even though Windows Firewall might be a weaker than say Zonealarm Free firewall.)   My previous "double-firewall" (router's hardware Firewall + Windows XP SP2 software firewall) is now back to single firewall.

Yup, I do have the username/password, but I've never had to input it ever since it was already saved inside the Speedstream 5100...  (not really "never" because when I was trying out the "reset" button, I had to re-input the various configuration [which I had jotted down first before doing the reset] and username/password -- that was more than a year ago already, when I downloaded this modem/router's manual and was trying out configuring the said modem/router)

Question2: How does one share a DSL connection if I only have the PLDT-supplied DSL modem (no router function anymore) in BRIDGE mode and my 8-port network switch? Do I configured both PCs to attempt auto-dial-up the PPPoE account?  If that's the case, how do I share the DSL?

Answer: Buy a separate router. All routers have PPPoE dialer. This is the preferred solution over using the modem's built-in router specially if you use torrents heavily.

Ok, I guess that's the simplest solution... I don't use torrents heavily, only infrequently when I "need" a certain file that I couldn't find otherwise in the normal downloads sites.  Does a router make "torrent"-ing faster?

question 3

Most of them do if you enable their DHCP server. By default the DHCP servers are disabled because these don't know what is the IP address of gateway. Most APs cost a little bit more than wireless router because fewer of them are sold.

You have probably a marginal DSL line and that is probably limiting your speed and causing the blinking DSL LED.

Possibly a marginal DSL line then... Any idea how this might be solved? Unless I just have to wait till the NGN finally gets rolled out to our place (Manila, near Sampaloc/Tayuman).

[/quote]

Online calvin

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
try to configure your NIC to 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1
restart your PC...

then access your modem.

Offline dta

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:04:34 PM »
try to configure your NIC to 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1
restart your PC...

then access your modem.

Just actually tried it now.

Doesn't seem to work. Still had to use PPPoE dialer to connect to PLDT DSL.

Seems like the "router" function of this Speedstream 5100 really got damaged. Any idea how it might be restored? (although I'm already buying a separate "real" router...)

Offline motion55

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »
I am not sure but the default IP address of the router could be in any of the 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses. It is not necessarily on 192.168.1.1. Try to look for the speedstream's manual on the net to get its possible address.

Also, the DHCP server may also be disabled by default so this modem can work on IPDSLAMs. And so, simply enabling the "obtain address dynamically" to reveal the modem's IP address will not work.

Try the following IP addresses.

192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254,
192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254,
192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.254,

Each time, manually assign an IP address in the same subnet as the target modem IP address. Or you can assign an IP address of 192.168.1.100 subnet 255.255.0.0 to allow you to scan the entire range without needing to change the NIC's IP address.

A port scanner like Angry IP Scanner can help search for the router's IP address.

http://www.angryziber.com/w/Home

"Set your mind free!"

Online lahar

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:48:55 PM »
Why not just call PLDT and get that modem replaced?

Offline dta

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »
I am not sure but the default IP address of the router could be in any of the 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses. It is not necessarily on 192.168.1.1. Try to look for the speedstream's manual on the net to get its possible address.

I have the Speedstream 5100 PDF manual and its default is 192.168.1.1.
I was able to access the port 192.168.1.1 before the modem became "no router" mode...

Also, the DHCP server may also be disabled by default so this modem can work on IPDSLAMs. And so, simply enabling the "obtain address dynamically" to reveal the modem's IP address will not work.

Try the following IP addresses.

192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254,
192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254,
192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.254,

Each time, manually assign an IP address in the same subnet as the target modem IP address. Or you can assign an IP address of 192.168.1.100 subnet 255.255.0.0 to allow you to scan the entire range without needing to change the NIC's IP address.

A port scanner like Angry IP Scanner can help search for the router's IP address.

http://www.angryziber.com/w/Home

Hmmm. That's something worth trying.

BTW, what is IPDSLAM?

Why not just call PLDT and get that modem replaced?

Actually, I've already reiterated that to PLDT 171 almost everyday that I didn't have DSL. I said that I suspect the modem is defective. But the technician who came to my place and made the PPPoE dialer didn't change the modem since it was able to connect to the Internet via the Dialer. (He brought the new type of PLDT DSL modem along just in case, but he didn't try it anymore once the PPPoE dialer was able to login to the DSL).

Anyway, the above discussion is more academic in nature. (for future reference in case the same scenario arises, so I have a better idea of what are the possible options)