Author Topic: 2 routers, 1 extender  (Read 558 times)

Offline goma

• Use only as prescribed..
2 routers, 1 extender
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »
We will son be having 2 wireless networks at home. One on PLDT DSL and the other of another ISP. if we get an extender for another part of the house, can it extend both wifi networks? How will this situation work out? Will there be problems?

Offline WallyWest

Re: 2 routers, 1 extender
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
I have the same situation. 1 PLDT, 1 Converge. The PLDT is supposed to be a backup in case Converge goes down so both ISPs have to be accessible anywhere in our 2-storey concrete house. Converge modem is on the 2nd floor while PLDT modem is on the ground floor.

Due to lack of foresight, I had the PLDT router placed near the window instead of somewhere in the middle of the ground floor which resulted to very poor PLDT reception upstairs. May separate AP na yung Converge so no problem ang Converge reception sa ground floor.

Now, I could just get another router for downstairs pero naisip ko na mag mesh router na lang (eyeing a 3-piece TP-Link Deco E4). Wala pa akong experience with mesh routers but will this setup work?

1. 1st mesh unit connects to Converge on 2nd floor
2. 2nd mesh unit connects to PLDT on the ground floor
3. 3rd mesh unit acts as satellite (maybe placed somewhere on the stairs).

Tama ba understanding ko na all the mesh units have WAN connections? Most likely hindi pwedeng mag-satellite yung 3rd unit sa both 1 and 2 simultaneously (or can it?). Pero kung may phone app naman siya pwede sigurong mag-manual switch ang satellite anytime to either 1st or 2nd mesh anytime depending on which ISP becomes priority.

So, will this work?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
We rarely share files between PCs. Sneakernet lang kami pag nagco-copy. Internet access lang ang priority.

Offline theDUD3

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
^ lol @ sneakernet haven't heard that word for quite some time.
Ryzen 7 3700X | MSI B450 Tomahawk Plus | 2x8GB GSkill FlareX DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3800Mhz CL16 | GTX 1070 Ti | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD  + 6TB HDD | 34" Xiaomi Surface 144hz WQHD Monitor | Keychron K2 V2 Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G304 Wireless Gaming Mouse

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
I prefer one router to rule all routing...and all WIFI is handled by something else, like a dedicated AP.  This was my preference coz once i need to reboot the wifi, it doesn't bring down all of the net access at home, and vice versa.  Lucky prior to having a buttload of smart gadgets, having one AP was enough to reach the front gate so people can just Viber in to talk to someone inside the house to say, let them in...but since getting smart, one AP wasn't enough...so i specifically got a new router with WIFI AP also as an add-on. Since enterprise router sya, i don't expect it to die/need restarting that often (and it hasn't yet)

Mesh WIFI to me just an improved WIFI bridging tech, using separate radios to link APs unlike the way Wifi Bridging used to work...still you add a second signal at home...and at 2.4ghz kokonti lang channels available talaga...mabuti kung puro 5ghz devices mo siguro...

Anyway, having one point of failure for routing is more convenient to troubleshoot for me, IMHO.
i9-9900K, Aorus Z390 Master, Aorus RGB 32Gb DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb, Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb, Crucial MX100-512Gb SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD, Crucial BX500 1Tb x2, Sony KDL 43X8500G, GMX 2.1, Lian-Li PC-011 Air, Corsair H150i Pro, Corsair LL-120x6, LG Bluray