Author Topic: Zap those viruses with lasers!  (Read 704 times)

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Zap those viruses with lasers!
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »
Researchers Kong-Thon Tsen, a physics professor at Arizona State University, and his son Shaw-Wei Tsen, a pathology student at John Hopkins, have found a way to destroy this protective sheath without harming normal cells.

The secret is a device known as an Ultrashort-Pulse (USP) Laser.  A harmless laser pulse, 1/40th of the level destructive to human cells, was aimed a Tobacco Mosaic Virus.  The laser destroyed the virus, leaving behind only a mucus-like mess of molecules.

The laser releases energy in pulses in the femtosecond range; a femtosecond being a millionth of a nanosecond--10-15 seconds.

The super-fast pulses are tuned to the resonant frequency of the virus protein and causes it to vibrate, with each pulse adding to the vibration.  Eventually the vibration overcomes the bonding energy of the protein's bonds and the protein structure disintegrates, shattering into harmless component atoms and molecules.
http://www.dailytech.com/New+Medical+Laser+Turns+Viruses+to+Rubble/article9516.htm
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline Sephiroth

Re: Zap those viruses with lasers!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
Very cool. Someday, such a technology may be used for cancer treatments as well.

Offline rodion_herrera

• Avatrian, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:31:12 PM »
Now this is revolutionary, and a true solution in actual "combating" of viruses....why? Well, imagine a "nano-tank" or "nano-mech" equipped with these "nano-lasers" and injected into your bloodstream...they will then hunt down the viruses like antibodies and mechapulvurize them to oblivion! Hihihi

-RODION

Offline Simbadda

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
^^ i used to play this pc game, where you pilot a vehicle that is miniaturized and inserted in the bloodstream, where your objective is to destroy viruses. just like in the martin short and meg ryan movie.
it puzzles me how women seem so fragile but they can hurt men more than they realize it.

i will give you 2000 czech crowns...

Offline borgy_t

• financial advisor
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
^^ lifeforce?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | WD SN750 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | Logitech G102 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Hajile

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:29:29 PM »
At last! A cure for the common cold!!! If it works it's the greatest scientific breakthrough in history!

@Simbadda
I think i've played that too. You're a flat concave thing that spits out molecule strings right?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline Simbadda

it puzzles me how women seem so fragile but they can hurt men more than they realize it.

i will give you 2000 czech crowns...