Author Topic: USB Extension  (Read 1856 times)

Offline madman

USB Extension
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:48:21 PM »
My rig supports USB 2.0.  But I'm getting a little tired of having to reach under to attach USB devices.  So, I'm thinking of a hub or a USB extension cable.

I looked around, and it seems that in the computer stores, there are USB 2.0-specific hubs.  On the other hand, the USB extension cables are not labelled as USB 2.0 or USB 1.1.  Upon closer scrutiny,  couldn't find any difference between the form factor of USB 2.0 and USB 1.1.  (I may have been mistaken that there were no physical differences.) 

My question is: must I get a USB 2.0-specific extension cable or hub for my USB 2.0 port?  I already have a cable and a hub that were obtained before the advent of 2.0.  Would they work just as well now for my 2.0 port?

Offline dta

Re: USB Extension
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »
I'm not very sure about the differences between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cables.

My guess is that they're very similar, except that maybe USB 2.0 might be higher quality to allow reliable faster transfer rates.

I noted (about 2 or 3 years ago) in HMR that I saw Belkin USB cables that are labeled plain "USB cables" (meaning USB 1.1) and also certain cables that are indeed labeled "USB 2.0 cables". Didn't look closely enough to see what's the difference though.

(I bought the Belkin USB 2.0 cable... that was a long time ago, don't know if HMR still has them.  S.O.S. might still have them, but at a higher price than if you got them straight from HMR...  BTW, haven't gone to HMR for more than a year or two, do they still have lots of computer stuff like adapters, monitors, etc.?)

Offline madman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:31:23 AM »
So, apparently, there is such a thing as a USB 2.0 cable?

Offline madman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »
Just found this in an everythingusb.com forum thread a couple of minutes ago:

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d657d6a2a07d877b4dc099cba7404bf7&threadid=9535

"Any USB cable that meets the USB 1.1 standard also meets the USB 2.0 standard. In essence, the cable that's marked as USB 2.0 doesn't have to be. It's strictly marketing.

If you try to use a sub-standard USB cable for high speed devices, Windows will throw up a speed error. That's your cue."

I'm really sorry for my ignorance.  But does this mean once and for all that I can use my old USB 1.1 extension cable and still get USB 2.0 features?

Offline dta

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »
I'm really sorry for my ignorance.  But does this mean once and for all that
I can use my old USB 1.1 extension cable and still get USB 2.0 features?

I suppose as long as it's a high-quality cable, it should be able to carry USB 2.0 transfer speeds.

In reverse, it might be possible that a low-quality "USB 2.0 cable" might only be good at USB 1.1 speeds...   check the quality of the cable, I think that's what the quote means.

Offline madman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 02:07:32 PM »
Thanks, dta.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
I bought 2 of these springy cable type USB extension cables:

Both cables work fine for flashdisks, mice and such but curiously wouldn't work on a 2.5" USB HDD (the hard drive isn't detected).  Is it because the cables are flat and (apparently) unshielded?  Is the coil layout messing with the USB signals?

Offline lahar

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Underpowered USB port?

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure the ports are fine.  The HDD works fine without the extension.  I even have a short (1 foot) and long (1.5 meters) USB cable for the HDD and both work fine.  The springy cable is 1.5 meters which is the same length as the long USB cable that I presently use...

So when I use the short USB HDD cable with the extension cable that brings the total length to about 1.8 meters?  Is that too long already?

Online jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
usually, those USB enclosures have a Y-cable since USB specs only give 0.5A, and most HDs are rated 0.85A, so you need 2 USB ports to power up the HD.

when you are using a long cable, there's always a power loss, and from the looks of that cable on your picture, it may have a thin cable that is not sufficient to transfer the power needed by your HD.

you need something like this

connect the Y-split to 2 USB ports so it have sufficient power for the HD.
jeremypv

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
Believe me there's a very BIG difference between those cables so be sure to get the right one.
Tried two different cables in the same port & one cable was like 5 times slower than the other :P

Offline dta

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
In my experience, sometimes it's not just the USB cable that might be the problem -- it could also be the USB port itself that might not be providing enough power.  (usually older casings have a USB front panel port whose USB ports can't provide enough power -- even if you plug both the Y-cable of the USB 2.0 cable).

Also have encountered a few motherboards whose back (onboard) USB 2.0 ports sometimes don't supply enough power to portable hard drives to (again, even with plugging the 2 Y-cable connectors), whereas using only the single power+data cable on another PC's USB port can properly power that same portable drive...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's a way to "check the voltage" or the "power" of a USB port to find if it can properly power a USB portable hard drive...

Offline calvin

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

Offline wickwire

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »
For splitters like those bundled with enclosures.. it seems it's better to use the 'main' usb connector vs the splitter when powering the enclosure.. but this was with a 2.5 hd..

for extension cables.. my psp wouldn't charge.. it was a Belkin 5 ft cable.. yeah it was too long, I thought it was convenient and was cheap at the time ($2) transferring files worked but I guess the power wasn't sufficient because of the length.
iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
Samsung S8 S9+
Samsung Note8 for work
Alienware R13 2017 GTX1060 Oled
Macbook Air 13 thin, light and unapologetically dated, yet I use it more than my Alien

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 01:13:23 PM »
I just noticed recently that my 2 front USB2 ports have trouble transferring data. Within seconds of transferring data, copying slows down to a crawl (625kB/s) until the file copy handler (File explorer, Teracopy, or FC) stops responding.

Connecting via the rear ports work flawlessly and at good speeds so I believe the problem lies somewhere with the front panel ports. The front panel connection to the motherboard headers seem to be okay and I do not see any breaks in the ribbon cable. The rig is a B450 with Ryzen 3 and is about a year old.

Any ideas how I can improve the front panel port performance? At this point, I suspect the ribbon cables may be picking up noise. The very tight cable management may not be helping either. Can the USB ribbon cable be routed a certain way to avoid these issues?

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
yes noise can be a problem, try to make the wires perpendicular to each other & see how it goes?
parallel wires tend to transmit EMC to each other specially at high speed clocks. 

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »
Hehe unmanaged cables good! Maybe you can get a shielded sleeve to wrap the USB2 header cable with?

My case now the cables are all nice and organized... and using the front audio jacks there is an unmistakable buzz/hum. At least the USB3 header cable is nice and shielded.
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
So it's actually a good thing that I don't cable manage my PC's wires out of lazyness. hehe