Author Topic: Any government/NGO initiative to encourage free software?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Juan1

• Semi-Newbie
    • Saved Content
Any government/NGO initiative to encourage free software?
« on: June 10, 2002, 07:52:43 PM »
I was wondering if any of our respresentatives was pushing for the use of free software in our country.  I read about how one congressman in Peru was pushing the use of free software in their country.  Do we have any government or NGO initiative to encour

Offline lahar

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 08:06:35 PM »
yes there is. DOST and NCC are spearheading a project that in 10 years time would make Linux the only OS running in the entire bureaucracy.

Offline prussianblue

• 1337 h4x0rs
    • Sea Trucks Group
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 08:52:25 PM »
You can read about the projects of ASTI (Advanced Science and Technology Institute) an agency under DOST here:
http://www.asti.dost.gov.ph/home.htm
STRANDED IN DUBAI

Offline Juan1

• Semi-Newbie
    • Saved Content
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 11:13:37 PM »
It looks more like a research project rather than a grassroots movement.  These probably require Linux experts rather than Linux fans and advocates.  Isn't the PLUG organizing any campaign?  Like lobbying congressmen, gathering signatures, conducting an i

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 11:21:19 PM »
I agree, there should be a grassroots movement to spread the use of these Open source software.  

One way Pinoy Linux experts could help is to create a unique, Pinoy-centric Linux distro that will run on those HMR/SOS sold 486/Pentiums so that the

Offline lahar

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »
no it isn't just a research project! i have a memo here from the DOST Secretary herself. It says that newly acquired PCs (at least sa DOST) must have at least a dual boot function (a non MS OS and an MS OS) and that employees are to begin training on its

Offline Juan1

• Semi-Newbie
    • Saved Content
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 02:52:24 AM »
baka naman underneath the startup e Windows 9* ang lalabas?

Actually, yes.  That was back in 1998.  Many people had yet to try Windows 95/98, much less Linux.  What most of my customers wanted was to use what most other people were u

Offline lahar

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 03:31:03 AM »
well ang primary goal kasi is to save the govt money in the purchase of software, money which can be appropriated elsewhere. if the private sector wants to join in then i suppose welcome din sila. the secondary goal is to develop the local software indust

Offline Juan1

• Semi-Newbie
    • Saved Content
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 05:03:36 AM »
I just read this from a link at ASTI's site:

http://www.itworldcanada.com/portals/portalDisplay.cfm?oid=58FC7D68-C30B-4D87-B0C3F4EBE8647E44#

"However, the agency has no mandate to deploy the solutions to government offices, said B

Offline lahar

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 05:13:11 AM »
well I thought you were asking if there was an initiative (govt specifically)pushing for the use of free software? well here it is. most businesses consider the government as the biggest client so it only seems reasonable that the govt be the best place t