Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 433229 times)

Online lahar

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #8340 on: May 20, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
Any of you have your own storage superstitions? I find I have the worst luck with Western Digital lol.

I don't touch Hitachis/IBM ever since the infamous DeathStars back in the early 2000s. I got some Seagates fail on me but that was after a few years of use.

Offline ris

« Reply #8341 on: May 20, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
Any of you have your own storage superstitions? I find I have the worst luck with Western Digital lol.

puro WD ang gamit ko.  lolz!  mas mura din siguro kasi.  ang it seems that when they get past the 1 year mark you are already safe.  meron akong mga WD na nasira pero from what i noticed is that this happens when i delete files.  yung hdd na ginamit ko pang torrent and never deleted the files inside buhay parin.  the ones that did break were the ones i deleted a large amount of files so that i could download new files into the drive.  tapos yung pang torrent pa talaga na hdd ang nasisira.  probably has something to do with the write/read of the torrent client.  i had two drives that failed and got it rma'd by WD.  pinalitan nila ng mga refurbished.  yung isa pa nga black ang pinalit.  both drives were WD green.  buhay pa naman pareho pero di ko na masyado ginagamit for new files. 
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8342 on: May 20, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
been buying only Seagate drives. so far, i am satisfied.

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #8343 on: May 21, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
i have a lot of dead seagate & deathstar models & just 1 WD
they say Samsung or the new Hitachi are ok
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8344 on: May 21, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
Skycable seems to have no intention of replacing our remote control for free nor repairing the no signal problem which we have been experiencing for the past week. dad finally agreed to get a TV Box and i set it up. after a few mishaps (TV Box didn't seem to power on properly because of a loose cable) i finally made it to work. i must say i am happy with how clear the video is. now dad can watch DZMM again. i will have to configure later how to get other channels. 

many thanks to you fellows (motion55 and lahar) here for providing us with a good and cheap option.

and good riddance, Skycable.

Offline calvin

« Reply #8345 on: May 21, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

puro WD ang gamit ko.  lolz!  mas mura din siguro kasi.  ang it seems that when they get past the 1 year mark you are already safe.  meron akong mga WD na nasira pero from what i noticed is that this happens when i delete files.  yung hdd na ginamit ko pang torrent and never deleted the files inside buhay parin.  the ones that did break were the ones i deleted a large amount of files so that i could download new files into the drive.  tapos yung pang torrent pa talaga na hdd ang nasisira.  probably has something to do with the write/read of the torrent client.  i had two drives that failed and got it rma'd by WD.  pinalitan nila ng mga refurbished.  yung isa pa nga black ang pinalit.  both drives were WD green.  buhay pa naman pareho pero di ko na masyado ginagamit for new files. 
been buying only Seagate drives. so far, i am satisfied.
i have a lot of dead seagate & deathstar models & just 1 WD
they say Samsung or the new Hitachi are ok

All the WD I bought got fux0red within 3 years...
Seagate's latest Barracuda build is a hit and miss affair but the old ones (those with 5-year warranty) were really good.. the first one I bought (120GB) is still up and performing well.
Now I buy Seagate's Firecuda if I want a little ooomph and Hitachis for cold storage.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8346 on: May 21, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
I've had pretty good luck with Seagate and post-Deathstar Hitachi. Almost all the drives I have are still alive and kicking, including a 20MB CHS Type-13 from 1992. If you stay away from the 3TB DM001 they've been incredibly reliable, currently #2 on BackBlaze behind only Hitachi, and this is with a much larger sample size (over 70,000 drives) for the Seagates.

WD has not been kind to me. 3 completely failed 2TB Greens, and one more with bad sectors that I was recently doing recovery on. Plus another 1TB Passport that got completely fux0red (funny coz this was just a USB backup drive that didnt even see much use). I've since taken another Passport offline as a precaution.

In hindsight, I did also start buying WD around about the time when I started doing less research on components and treating HDDs as a commodity. Before that I'd extensively research every part that made it into my builds including the HDDs, but I had stopped doing that when I bought the WD Greens. After that slew of failures though I try to stick with popular models and verify they aren't on BackBlaze's shit list before buying.

fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #8347 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
My rig lasts around 18 months from where I am due to power fluctuations. Light dims as the electrical panel board switches various loads here in the compound every night. Masaya nako pag nakalagpas Ng 2 years, but I know it is on it's last legs.

Something always give up- the Mobo, hdd, or whatever. Ksawa ring mg assemble.

Come buying time, Ano ba mas mataas Ang price/performance ratio? Built in desktop PC's or NUC type of cpu unit?
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #8348 on: May 21, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
for price/performance ratio, assembling a desktop will always be the best option, those small form factor PCs accommodates a market where the form factor is an absolute necessity, hence will always be of premium category.
jeremypv

Offline calvin

« Reply #8349 on: May 21, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »
^ for office use, we also purchase branded small form factor PCs... mainly because they offer a 3-year warranty with free on-site service.

but for personal use, assembling it is the best option.

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #8350 on: May 21, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
my WD 1TB green is still alive after 5 years but now has some unreadable sector, my WD Black 640g which was my main disk for the past 6~7years is showing signs of failure since it was my system & main tor rent disk.

my IBM's & seagate gave little warning before they went kaput! i guess there is really no future proof HD out there & could die anytime of the day. the good thing is you could get those 4~6TB disk & use them to store you important files & just tuck it away somewhere.

Crystal Disk Info is a good app to check & see the run time of your HD.
does S.M.A.R.T. really work?
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #8351 on: May 21, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »

It does, if you configure it correctly, I've set a notification system for my home NAS, and it notified me of some problems with *all* my drives at one time, and, after all the hair pulling, it was a faulty PSU, not much power getting to the drives...

but so far, I haven't failed a drive since, so I haven't seen a real s.m.a.r.t. failure yet. (knock on wood)
jeremypv

Offline ris

« Reply #8352 on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »

It does, if you configure it correctly, I've set a notification system for my home NAS, and it notified me of some problems with *all* my drives at one time, and, after all the hair pulling, it was a faulty PSU, not much power getting to the drives...

but so far, I haven't failed a drive since, so I haven't seen a real s.m.a.r.t. failure yet. (knock on wood)

im actually thinking it really would be a psu issue with the drives.  thats one of the parts that we most likely would scrimp on.  that and ram.  i remember when i was building my rig before that i thought it was normal for ram to be replaced every 3 years or so.  didnt realize that non-generic ram should actually outlast most of the rig.  the most likely first to fail should either be the optical drive or hdd.  other parts should last until you really need to upgrade your pc because of obsolescence
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #8353 on: May 21, 2018, 06:58:40 PM »
^ for office use, we also purchase branded small form factor PCs... mainly because they offer a 3-year warranty with free on-site service.

but for personal use, assembling it is the best option.

+1
That's what I do.

On the topic of HDDs, I'm using all 4TB WD Reds for my 24/7 Synology NAS which is approaching 2 years-old now. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't fail easily. On the other hand, all my external DAS drives are seagate which I've had for years and they're all reliable. I've had a maxtor 20gb fail because I dropped it and a WD Scorpio Black 7200 2.5" drive that had a sudden motor failure.

I use SSDs now for internal drives and the oldest one is a 6 year old 120GB OCZ vertex 3 in a laptop which is still at 96% in CrystalDisk.

Offline altec

« Reply #8354 on: May 21, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »
linux mint on a NUC? pwede naman no? sorry, obsolete na talaga ako.. if not, resort ako sa laptop nalang ule.
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8355 on: May 21, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
kanina nanghingi sa akin ng tulong babaeng ka batch ko nung college. may anak sya na may autism. nagpapahanap ng child psychiatrist.

then naaalala ko yung nangyari sa kanya: nung nagka boyfriend sya pinakilala sa amin ng best friend nya na girl. ininterview yung guy ng best friend nya habang ako naman eh nakikinig lang at nakain. mukhang ok naman yung guy. mabait at matulungin, so approve kami ng best friend nya.

then nabalitaan na lang namin na nabuntis yugn girl kahit di pa sila kasal. syempre pinagalitan ng best friend nya pero wala na magagawa. mga 1 year after ipanganak yung bata, iniwan nung guy kasi "confused" daw sa identity nya. baka sa totoo daw eh bading yung guy. since kulang sa mag aalaga yung bata, nababad sa cellphone at tablet, kaya nagka delay sa development at na diagnose ng autism. at di pa rin sya binabalikan nung guy.

anyway, nakahanap ako ng list ng child and adolescent psychiatrists sa pilipinas at nasend ko na sa kanya. i hope improving na yung condition nung anak nya.

Online lahar

« Reply #8356 on: May 23, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
If I'm going to be assigned here on a semi-permanent basis, I think I should get a scooter.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #8357 on: May 24, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
$100m prize fund offered for Fortnite game play

And we thought DOTA2 prize money was already crazy...
fhtagn