Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 584579 times)

Offline Sephiroth

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #9600 on: Today at 10:32:51 AM »
No I use it only for work (making the quick writeup, writing some Python codes and PERL scripts), browsing and watching YT videos in between. I game on the PS4.
Seems like a really good Linux work machine, then!

Problem with desktop is support, with a laptop, it's an all-in-one solution. With desktop, if you are buying a pre-built PC, it's actually more expensive, I also took a look at pre-builts, and it's shit, even the lenovo that's available on the storeshelves, it's pentium silver with 4GB of ram.

if I will support it (or they know somebody that can support them), then I'm more biased at desktop, my haswell setup (bought 2013~2014) is still my main rig right now -- but sadly, being a PC enthusiast nowadays is becoming rare, people nowadays just want instant gratification, so a laptop, just open the lid and turn it on, with a desktop, you have to plug in everything, they don't even know the difference between DisplayPort and HDMI
Well, that is certainly true enough. I am glad i am still familiar enough with desktops to not depend on a laptop.

Is Kingston a reliable brand for SSD? WD and Seagate flagship stores seem to have a limited offerings. Crucial, which is my preferred brand doesn't seen to have a Flagship store and PC shops I know that are in Lazada don't seem to have MX500. I plan to get Kingston KC600.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/kingston-kc600-256gb-ssd-sata3-25-skc600256g-i493786396-s1303068366.html?spm=a2o4l.seller.list.13.17ec5e90E5JFSd&mp=1

Thanks!

Offline motion55

« Reply #9601 on: Today at 12:23:04 PM »
I am also thinking of upgrading my home office rig. It kept me going during the lockdown. I can't afford for it to go down if another lockdown is imposed.

I am aiming for a Ryzen 7 X570 motherboard. Local prices are a bit high compared to US prices even if you add VAT. Selection aren't great either. So am delaying pulling the trigger until things settle down or I am forced to buy.

BTW, my current machine is a 4C 8T I7-6700. I think even a Ryzen 5 3600 is more than a match for it.

"Set your mind free!"

Offline lahar

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #9603 on: Today at 01:24:37 PM »
RIP Grant

Online WallyWest

« Reply #9604 on: Today at 01:40:52 PM »
No I use it only for work (making the quick writeup, writing some Python codes and PERL scripts), browsing and watching YT videos in between. I game on the PS4.
Seems like a really good Linux work machine, then!

Problem with desktop is support, with a laptop, it's an all-in-one solution. With desktop, if you are buying a pre-built PC, it's actually more expensive, I also took a look at pre-builts, and it's shit, even the lenovo that's available on the storeshelves, it's pentium silver with 4GB of ram.

if I will support it (or they know somebody that can support them), then I'm more biased at desktop, my haswell setup (bought 2013~2014) is still my main rig right now -- but sadly, being a PC enthusiast nowadays is becoming rare, people nowadays just want instant gratification, so a laptop, just open the lid and turn it on, with a desktop, you have to plug in everything, they don't even know the difference between DisplayPort and HDMI
Well, that is certainly true enough. I am glad i am still familiar enough with desktops to not depend on a laptop.

Is Kingston a reliable brand for SSD? WD and Seagate flagship stores seem to have a limited offerings. Crucial, which is my preferred brand doesn't seen to have a Flagship store and PC shops I know that are in Lazada don't seem to have MX500. I plan to get Kingston KC600.
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/kingston-kc600-256gb-ssd-sata3-25-skc600256g-i493786396-s1303068366.html?spm=a2o4l.seller.list.13.17ec5e90E5JFSd&mp=1

Thanks!

I still have my 5-year old 120GB Transcend alive and kicking. Sa minimum of 5 BSODs/system hang and the occasional power outage na pinagdadaanan nito per day hindi pa rin nasisira o nagkakaroon ng corrupted data. Boot up and shut down is still as fast as it was when it was brand new. I also have a 240GB WD Green sa laptop ni misis. Nakakailang BSOD rin yun on a weekly basis while it was in service as a WFH rig but the SSD still works fine. My opinion is in general, SSDs, regardless of brand, are sturdy pieces of tech. I wouldn't worry about its longevity so much.

Besides, I think may 5-year warranty naman yang Kingston according sa Lazada store nila.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #9605 on: Today at 02:05:41 PM »
Kingston is ok. I've been using one in my laptop for close to three years now, and two more for servers at work. None have failed so far.

Intel too I used for a very long time with no issues.

Ironically Samsung is one of the highest rated names in SSDs, but a Samsung 860 Evo is the lone SSD failure I have on record.
fhtagn

Offline motion55

« Reply #9606 on: Today at 02:15:24 PM »
"Set your mind free!"

Offline twistedpopo

• Tirador ng Kaning Lamig²
    • follow me
« Reply #9607 on: Today at 07:58:22 PM »
2020 hits just keep on coming...

RIP Grant.