Author Topic: Anything About Football  (Read 7587 times)

Offline KG

• Semi-Newbie
Anything About Football
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2005, 07:56:17 PM »
Wow!!  Haven't realized there are football fans among pinoys in forums!!  :-)

Any one who plays in real life?   :-)

PC version of Winning Eleven is the best, as you can also update it's stadiums and uniforms.  I've been playing Winning Eleven (or rather, Konami's footie games) since the SNES days...and FIFA nevers gets close  :-P

cheers

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 10:35:34 PM »
@KG,

I used to play competitively in the Under-14 to U-19 level.  My last tourney being the Adidas U-19 National Finals in 1997 (?).  In college, I just played in intramural matches.  More relaxed pace, but a lot of fun.  Nowadays, I try to play from time to time but I find that I'm terribly slow and heavy.   :D  

Offline KG

• Semi-Newbie
Anything About Football
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2005, 08:31:54 AM »
@scrambler - adidas u-19?  is that in dumaguete?  I played there as well, NCR 1 team =)  You should have played in the UAAP, it's loads of fun =)

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2005, 02:12:37 PM »
@KG, yes in 1997 we lost 1-0 in the quarters to Iloilo (a fifth minute free kick that our 'keeper misjudged entirely).  In college I concentrated more on my studies, and besides there were a lot of really good players in the SU varsity team at that time and I don't know if I would have made the cut (the batch ahead of me and some of my teammates won the U-16 Coke-go-for-goal National Finals and the U-18 Palarong Pambansa).  A bunch of them eventually played for the National team at some point.  

It's good to hear from a fellow U-19 alumnus.  Are you still playing?

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2005, 05:53:59 PM »
There was a time in the late 1970's when the German Bernard Zgoll handled the Philippine Youth Football team, with the Coke for Goal program. This program was meant to develop football in the grassroots level in our country.  I watched a game of theirs in Pasig and I was surprised that they had good fundamentals in football and played like any European club.  

If this was pursued and maintained in the country, we could have had a national football league and maybe at par with the Koreans and Japanese at this time.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline morpheus08

• Semi-Newbie
Anything About Football
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:59 PM »
some footbal clips and videos
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...ootb&pr=goog-sl
http://www.soccershowdown.com/index2.htm
try also http://www.fbtz.com forums and download matches via bittorrent.

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »
I wish that were so, doc spol.  There is a lot of corruption in many areas of Philippine sports. *sigh*

KG and doc spol, if you want to discuss football with fellow pinoys please visit (if you haven't already) www.philfootbal.Info.  There's also a good forum run by a guy called Kai, I forgot the name of the site.

Offline KG

• Semi-Newbie
Anything About Football
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 07:11:48 PM »
Still playing, only when I have time...When I started working, couldn't play competitively anymore unlike during the UAAP days.

Too bad football in the country does not grow...I really believe we can excel in such sport, but well...

The Manila Premier Football League that started 1997 and ended in the same year was really a shame...it was a step towards the right direction but it ended up with some unpaid wages to us players...

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2005, 11:35:33 PM »
Barcelona put in a magnificent performance to beat Real Madrid 0-3 in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium on Saturday evening, a result which even had the home fans applauding their arch rivals. Eto'o ignored all the boos and put his side in front early on after taking a pass off Messi, who was the surprise inclusion in Frank Rijkaard's line up. And only two or three first class saves from Casillas prevented the visitors from extending their lead before the break. Ronaldinho took the Galacticos apart after the restart though, running from inside his own half to beat three defenders and score his side's second goal, and then getting another a few minutes later in similar style. The result takes the Blaugrana to the top of the table, and on this form they are likely to stay there.
http://www.soccer-spain.com/

I saw this match on WoWoW and Barcelona showed great skill and excellent control of the ball.  Ronaldinho shamed the fullbacks of Real Madrid twice with two excellent goals.

On the local side, the Filipinos lost to the Thais 0-1.  Respectable score though for a non-footballing country like us. We missed a penalty on the 18th minute and that could have made the difference. :-(
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2005, 12:08:07 AM »
English Premier League

At half time, Manchester United 2  West Brom 0 at  half time.  Defensive minded West Brom started with a 4-5-1 formation meaning only one striker up front.  What was ManU's solution to this problem?  Bring Rio Ferdinand up front from his fullback position thereby having an extra man in midfield creating more chances for attack.  He was part of the buildup in their first goal and headed in their 2nd goal

If ManU's opponent was a Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea, they wouldn't dare bring Ferdinand in an attacking position.

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2005, 01:22:56 AM »
You still up doc? the big guns won today.  I desperately wanted fulham to hold chelsea to a draw but crespo broke the deadlock and made it 3-2 in the 74th minute and that's how it stayed till the end.    

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2005, 08:30:22 AM »
I saw only the last 10 minutes of the game between Chelsea and Fulham and as the commentator said, "T'was a crackah of a game."  Sorry I missed it because I was watching a boring documentary on the the tsunami at Discovery channel.

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2005, 10:39:52 AM »
chelsea all the way!! they're the class of UEFA right now... they should be able to beat barca in the champion's league just like last year... hopefully, ronaldinho doesn't throw another tantrum if this happens... :)
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  -Edmund Burke

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »
AXN is sponsoring contest that will bring you to a February 2006 live match between Chelsea and Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.  Two winners will be announced by January 2006, probably the 2nd week.

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2005, 11:12:44 AM »
hey, doc... you've seen the first round knockout draw in the Champion's League? it's a very bad draw... all the great european clubs will be meeting each other and knocking each other out... that means a lot of lower-tier teams will be making the latter rounds and this will probably result in bad match-ups later... :(
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  -Edmund Burke

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2005, 11:45:53 AM »
@Turk182, suwerte yun mga lower rated clubs.

Bayern   - Milan   
Benfica   - Liverpool   
Real Madrid - Arsenal   
PSV   -   Lyon   
Chelsea   -   Barcelona   
Rangers   -   Villarreal   
Bremen   -   Juventus   
Ajax   -   Internazionale   

My picks to win for the round of 8:  Milan, Liverpool, Arsenal, Lyon, Chelsea, Villareal, Juventus, Internazionale.

Offline conan barbero

Anything About Football
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2005, 12:15:36 PM »
oh no!  chelsea against barcelona....again.  well, i guess it's payback time for my boys, hopefully.  

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
Me too conan, I hope barca can beat chelsea this time.  

Offline ShindoHikaru

• Mada mada dane
Anything About Football
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2006, 08:31:31 AM »
Anybody playing Futsal (Indoor football) here?
Canon 400D, Canon S3IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 580 EX II, Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 for Canon, Sunpak +1 +2 +4 macro filters

<? echo "AmakakeruRyuNoHirameki"; ?>
Do your best specially when other people think less of you.

Offline jack

• Moderators
    • http://jack-jacob.blogspot.com
Anything About Football
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
once. i didn't enjoy it. i'd rather play on the field.