Author Topic: Anything About Football  (Read 7807 times)

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 09:51:15 PM »
Yup, UEFA Cup early tomorrow morning, FA Cup Final on sat. and Champions League on the 25th! Whooo!

Makelele is a ball-winner in midfield.  He makes the defense look good.  :-)

Hey, just a thought, if you got to pick the world eleven, which players would make the team?

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 11:57:49 PM »
i consider the UEFA Cup as a consolation tourney for non-entrants to the Champion's League... that's why i'm not too interested in it... but i guess it's still European competition and it does give out silverware...
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  -Edmund Burke

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 12:18:11 AM »
chelsea does have a very strong defense but their offense is also something to marvel at... they have gudjohnsen, drogba, robben, lampard, duff, and j. cole to move the ball around and hit the back of the net... of course, there is also terry for those headers during corners and other free-kick situations...

they do concede very few goals but they also score tons of 'em... :-)
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  -Edmund Burke

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 12:37:18 AM »
Turk, football, whether it's just inter-barangay comp. here in the provinces or the Uefa Champions League, is still football and is always worth a look.  Getting into european competition means a lot of money for a club, thats why UEFA slots are always hotly contested.

Chelsea are chasing Inter Milan's Adriano because they feel that they still need a prolific striker.   I agree they have a very  strong defense thats why they are considered the masters of the 1-0 win (they don't score all the time). The thing is, they're only gonna get better and that is bad news for all their opponents next season.

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 01:28:41 AM »
i guess chelsea changes its style of play to suit their opponents... they can be a high-scoring team depending on their opponents... they seem to play very conservatively against EPL teams but in the champion's league, they scored a lot of goals especially against prolific scoring teams such as Barca and Bayern...

they do need another striker to back-up gudjohnsen and drogba since kezman isn't doing what is expected of him... they still have crespo though (on loan to Milan) but another prolific striker won't hurt... they have no prob in the midfield in terms of offense since they already have lots of options there...

though i agree that football is still football wherever it is played, when you have seen football played at its highest level in terms of talent and competition (such as the Champion's League), the differences are quite noticable to the lower levels... but i do agree that future great talents are nurtured in these lower leagues so they should also be worth a look just like when we watch college basketball...

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 01:40:03 AM »
as for picking a world eleven, that will be next to impossible given the vast amount of top-class talent available especially in UEFA... but it doesn't hurt to try... :-)

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 01:57:10 AM »
You're right, lotsa players to choose from but I'll try listing my world eleven tomorrow (sleepy, sleepy).  I'm glad there are football fans here.  I tell you dude, especially if you're a former player, sometimes it's nice to take a break from ESPN/ Star Sports and watch local tournaments.

Offline shadow.dweller

• The Life of John Lenovo
Anything About Football
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 08:34:40 AM »
LIVERPOOL! UEFA LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

and what a game...a great comeback just imagine being down 3 goals by the first 45mins. things that made me get up from my chair:

1. the first goal of maldini (in the 1st minute!)

2. the 3 consecutive goals (in span of 6mins) for LIVERPOOL which tied the game.

3. Dudek denying the two shots of Andriy Shevchenko in the last 3mins of extra time.

4.Dudek denying Andriy Shevchenko penalty/spot kick!

it was a great game, and i watched it with my football-loving-dad.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 01:13:12 PM »
I hope they replay it this afternoon.

BTW,  Manchester United lost to Arsenal on a penalty shootout 5-4 in the FA Cup, where ManU dominated the game.  A heartbreaking loss.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline shadow.dweller

Anything About Football
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 01:24:02 PM »
trully a heart breaker, MANU had the chances but no one could deliver a goal, a very disappointing penalty from scholes. he used to do that all the time for MANU...both teams were hungry for a trophy/cup.

there was an instance were the ref made a decision to play-on when infact there was a clear hand ball from cole. ashley could have been sent off and MANU should have been given a penalty shot. a very tragic end to a wonderful game by manu. btw ronaldo and rooney had only one thing on their minds (GOAL)  

Offline conan barbero

Anything About Football
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2005, 02:40:55 PM »
huhuhuh.  i don't want to be reminded of the chelsea-barca 2nd leg game.  i must admit that chelsea played well, even scoring 3 goals in less than 20 minutes into the game (i dont exactly remember).  pero their last goal, a header (forgot who made it), really sucked.  pinakita sa replay that a chelsea player held victor valdes kaya hindi siya nakagalaw.  damn.  if it wasn't for that goal, barca could have been the one to advance.  well it's football.  hehe.  bigla ko tuloy naalala yung "hand of God" goal ni maradona.

btw, just watched the replay of the uefa champions league finals.  galing ng liverpool.  saludo!  a very entertaining finals i must say.

Offline shadow.dweller

Anything About Football
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2005, 02:52:11 PM »
it was like the ultimate game it had everything...(AC Milan vs Liverpool)

i feel your side conan barcelona should at least made the semi finals, just like PSV deserved to be in the finals(my opinion). PSV had really made themselves known and how they played against AC really showed what they are capable of...to bad their lack of experience punished them in the last minutes of both their games with AC.

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
Pahabol:  congrats to liverpool!!! What a game!

Offline jack

• Moderators
    • http://jack-jacob.blogspot.com
Anything About Football
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 08:41:53 PM »
After a 12-year interlude, I'm playing football again.  :oops:

After 3 games na-injure agad ako.  :((  

Offline jpidro

• Twitter
Anything About Football
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 09:03:27 PM »
Ako din, I have a nasty bruise on my right shin. Ngayon pa lang nagsimulang mawala kasi nung kailan lang ako nawala. Kailangan ko talaga bumili ng shinguards lalong lalo't na HS palang ang nakasipa nun.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 08:26:18 AM »
Manchester United lost to Middlesbrough 1-4.  Boro's Gaizka Mendieta has shown his value as a great midfielder which he is known for when he was in La Liga.  I remember what the analysts said about this game, it is not how ManU lost it or did wrong but how Middlesbrough won it.  Kudos for the Boros for winning it inspite of reputation of ManU.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »
Saw the game doc, I'm happy for Mendieta, he's back! Well, sort of.  'Boro played really well (and Man U helped 'em by defending horribly that day,  second goal was due to a mistake by Ferdinand).

Have you played Pro Evo Soccer 5? I played the demo (with expander), It blows the FIFA series away when it comes to gameplay.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 02:20:59 PM »
Have you played Pro Evo Soccer 5? I played the demo (with expander), It blows the FIFA series away when it comes to gameplay.
Yup, downloaded the demo.  It has a more 'natural' feel to it than Fifa 2005. I am really impressed.  It is already available in PS2 but not  the PC version.  This maybe my next football game.

Tempted to buy a PS2 just to play this game =))  

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 04:50:20 PM »
Doc, have you seen anyone selling the pro evo  for pc game in metro manila (whether licensed or not)?

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »
@scrambler, I have not really looked, but the PC version will come out November or worse,  December.