Author Topic: Anything About Football  (Read 7806 times)

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:16:18 AM »
The football thread has been lost  so to prop up interest in this game where almost 80% of the population of the world know about except the isolated and oblivious Pinoys.

I could not sleep last night so I watched the Real Madrid vs Barcelona match early morning at 1 am.  An enthralling attacking match from both sides with Real Madrid prevailing 4-2.  This cut the lead of Barcelona from 9 to 6 points from the 2nd placed Real Madrid with 7 games to go.  Real Madrid's Brazilian coach Luxemburgo  placed three strikers in front with Ronaldo, Raul and Owen and that did Barcelona in although Barca had more of possession.  Great match although I love Barca.  
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Online lahar

Anything About Football
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 11:06:58 AM »
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Offline calvin

Anything About Football
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:12:34 AM »
This just shows the attention span of most pinoys...

one reason they gave me was that they have no patience on waiting on a game that goes on for hours and ends up with 0-0 or 1-0 score...

he he he... I love this game though...

Offline mischief

• Veterans
Anything About Football
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »
doc inggit ako. tagal ko nang hindi nakakapanood ng magandang match. the last soccer-related show i saw was the latter half of soccer showdown sa abc 5 this weekend. it was pretty interesting cause they interviewed the teams that played street soccer (high school?) and some of the kids were really nice to watch, ganda na ng teamwork and footwork.
they also featured a soccer camp for children, i think around 5 years old onwards. can't wait to have a child to send there. i think the early part of the show featured female teams as well (i saw poveda jerseys in the credits), so it looks good for the younger generations, more exposure.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Anything About Football
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 11:21:37 AM »
Di na rin ako nakakapanood ng world soccer :(

However there is a local show on ABC 5 4-5pm on Saturdays called Soccer Showdown which (when i was watching) covered a High School Street Soccer tourney here in Manila.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Anything About Football
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 11:31:54 AM »
nye pareho kami ng napanood  :oops:  
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 07:43:40 PM »
Barcelona, the new La Liga Champions!  Idol ko ang team na ito after being in a slump of 4 years.
Last season FC Barcelona's revival was dangerously dependent on the individual brilliance of one player. A year later the club's first league title in six years is the product of a polished all-round team performance.

Morale restored
In July 2003, after David Beckham had rejected a move to the Camp Nou in preference for Real Madrid CF, Barcelona exhausted their transfer funds in signing Ronaldinho from Paris Saint-Germain FC. Almost single-handedly the Brazilian international restored the shattered morale of a side which had plumbed the depths of disappointment after four years of underachievement. Ronaldinho's vision, passing skills and dazzling repertoire of party tricks were the catalyst for change.

Second place
Almost as important as his on-the-field displays were his smiling, laid-back attitude to life and infectious enthusiasm that transformed the atmosphere in the Barcelona squad. His performance rubbed off on the rest of the group and he inspired the Blaugrana to a 17-game unbeaten run that lifted them to second place in the Primera División behind Valencia CF, their best finish in four years.

New recruits
The presence of the 25-year-old Brazilian helped to convince players of the calibre of Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Henrik Larsson, Ludovic Giuly, Juliano Belletti and Edmílson that the Camp Nou was the place to be. The side now brims with talented footballers who share a common hunger for success, a fierce determination and a dedication to the cause that have been responsible for the Catalans deposing Valencia as Spanish champions.

Influential Eto'o
The most decisive recruit has been Eto'o, the 24-year-old Cameroon striker who has struck 24 goals. With fellow forward Larsson injured since November, African Player of the Year Eto'o has done a brilliant job of shouldering the burden of leading the Barça attack - his scorching pace, light touch and nose for goal making him the scourge of opposition defences.
http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/news/K...sId=302362.html
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Offline conan barbero

Anything About Football
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
WTG BARCA!!!!  Ronaldinho, imho, really made a big impact on this team.  I just wish they win the Champion's League next season.

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
Anything About Football
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 07:59:25 PM »
barcelona chapion sa laliga

real madrid tsk...tsk...

Offline plasticbug

Anything About Football
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:41:05 PM »
I thought the 4 teams fighting to avoid relegation in the English Premier League was exciting until I glanced at the Italian Serie A table where 11 teams are eligible for the drop with two match days remaining in the season. Now that should be something to watch.

I just hope AS Roma and Parma stay up. Can't bear to watch Francesco Totti (Roma) and Serie A's leading scorer Alberto Gilardino (Parma) playing in Serie B.

If you guys want to experience what it's like to be a footie manager, I suggest you play Sports Interactive's Footbal Manager 2005. No fancy graphics, just plain, old simulation using real players, real teams and real stats. You can play any country with an active football tournament.

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 09:18:19 PM »
doc spol, soccer fan ka pala? congrats to barca and west brom.  the baggies started sunday at the foot of the table but they survived!  

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »
@plastic, dude the chances of the above-mentioned players playing in serie B next season are remote.  Lots of top-flight clubs are ready to scoop them up if their teams get relegated.  Parma is asking fifty mil for Gilardino to ease financial worries.

Offline plasticbug

Anything About Football
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
@scrambler : That's just a dreaded thought :) And I don't think Parma and Roma will be relegated. Their next opponents belong to the bottom half of the table. Not exactly a walk in the park but man for man, they'll get their points.

Parma is asking fifty mil for Gilardino to ease financial worries.

In Football Manager 2005, I tried to get Gilardino at the start of 04/05 season for Atletico Madrid to form an explosive frontline with Fernando Torres but Parma will only sell him for $65m, $40m up front and $25m spread in 12 months. No way. The board only gave me $50m to spend for transfers. I got Hernan Crespo from Chelsea instead  for $5m and banged 20 goals for Atl.Mad that season.

Offline conan barbero

Anything About Football
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 12:09:39 AM »
Totti has been too loyal to AS Roma.  he's a really talented player.  he can play forward and center midfield.  i wonder why he refused to join a better club.  IMO, AS Roma won't earn him any trophy, not even the Italian Serie A title, at least.

Offline conan barbero

Anything About Football
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
i'm a barca fan but in fairness to real madrid, malaki-laki din hinabol nila sa barcelona.  at some point, barca's lead at the top of the table was 10+ points.  el galacticos, as some would call them, should concentrate more on teamplay rather than signing up superstars.  a team of superstars won't guarantee them first place.  honestly, i liked the real madrid team better when raul was doing the scoring...

Offline scrambler

Anything About Football
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »
@plasticbug, I heard football manager is addicting (especially to british blokes, and a lot of relationships have gone south because of that game).  I just play FIFA 2005.

@conan, Real Madrid's back four is far from solid. They should have bought good center backs during the transfer window.  And they shouldn't have sold Makelele to Chelsea (football experts think he's better than beckham).  Raul hasn't been the same since Ronaldo took over scoring duties.

Offline spoliarium

• Moderators
  • The Last Airbender
Anything About Football
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 05:33:21 PM »
The back four of Real Madrid has always been suspicious.  Good they have an excellent goalkeeper in Casillas.

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
Anything About Football
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 06:14:56 PM »
The back four of Real Madrid has always been suspicious. Good they have an excellent goalkeeper in Casillas.

naaawa nga ako kay casillas. no help from the four defenders. pansin ko nga mas magaling pa si zidane minsan mag defend..

Offline Turk182

Anything About Football
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 06:52:02 PM »
watch the finals of the Champion's League on May 21... that's Liverpool vs. AC Milan... also watch the FA Cup finals on May 25, Arsenal vs. Man U... it doesn't get better than this... :)

my favorite team right now is Chelsea... imho, they are currently the best team in the world... they overwhelmingly dominated the English Primeire  League and won over Barcelona (remember Ronaldinho losing it after the game) and Bayern Munich in this year's Champion's League...
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  -Edmund Burke

Offline plasticbug

Anything About Football
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »
Don't forget the UEFA Cup final this Wednesday between Sporting Lisbon and CSKA Moscow.

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich owns CSKA and will be eyeing for his third silverware (Chelsea provided the EPL and Carling Cup).

they shouldn't have sold Makelele to Chelsea

Makelele is what makes Chelsea's midfield solid. He's always there when you need him and he's also molded Frank Lampard of what he is today: a solid all-around midfielder. Defense is Mourinho's game. If you get past Makelele and Lampard, you will be facing PFA's Player of the Year John Terry, Gallas, Ferreira and Carvalho in the back four. And if you are really lucky, there's GK Peter Cech to frustrate you. 24 clean sheets in 38 games. 1000 minutes without conceding a goal. Best GK in the game. Of course, there's Gigi Buffon of Juventus, but that's another story.