Author Topic: pldt dsl and wireless router problem  (Read 5452 times)

marusu

pldt dsl and wireless router problem
« on: October 25, 2004, 07:17:13 PM »
Hi!

Can anyone help me with this problem i'm having? I just subscribed to pldt mydsl and they got the lines working and also gave me the ZyXEL modem... i want to connect the modem to my linksys wirelessB router so that i can use my laptops around the house...

problem is: the router can't connect to the PPPoE settings of the ZyXEL modem... i tried setting the router settings to obtain the IP address automatically, using static IP (the IP I first saw when they installed the dsl line, along with pldt DNS numbers), and using PPPoE (with username and password acquired from pldt)... i still can't connect to the internet though...

has anyone encountered this before? i'd truly appreciate any help... thanks in advance!!! :)

Offline uvax

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:27:43 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the ZyXEL modem already has a built-in router. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.pinoypc.net/tehboard/viewthread.php?thread=22655

Offline calvin.2

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:47:32 AM »
i tried setting the router settings to obtain the IP address automatically, using static IP

If you're subscribed to a Residential DSL Package, you have to use Dynamic IP...

marusu

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 10:33:22 AM »
Thanks!

however, my ZyXEL modem is a Prestige 600 series model... i don't think its a router because it only has 1 LAN port and another port for the DSL connection...  i've already tried setting it to dynamic IP before i made it static... i've also tried the tips on the thread you posted: i made my router's IP to 192.168.1.2 because the modem uses 192.168.1.1...

to make things worse, i can't configure the dsl modem because when i tried to use hyperterminal to connect to the modem via COM1, the modem asks me for a password... :(

i'm running out of ideas on what to do... :(

Offline motion55

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:20:30 AM »
How are you using the ZyXEL modem right now? Do you use a PPPoE dialer on your PC? This should give us a clue to where to begin solving your problem.

Try to give as much info as possible. Most of us are not mind readers you know.
"Set your mind free!"

marusu

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 11:49:13 AM »
ok, sorry...

the ZyXEL modem is just connected to the dsl line... i'm using windows xp so i'm not using any 3rd party PPPoE dialer... i ran the auto-setup cd on my computer while the modem was directly connected to it, and it worked fine... but when i transfered the connection to the router (internet to ZyXEL modem, modem to linksys router, router to pc), and setup up the router to connect via PPPoE, it displays a timeout error when connecting...

i just used the username and password suplied by pldt, i'm not sure if i need to supply any further input... (i tried "pldt" on the host name field, but still didn't work)

Offline motion55

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 01:25:20 PM »
i'm using windows xp so i'm not using any 3rd party PPPoE dialer...

Do you mean you're using XP's dialer? Or you are not using a dialer at all and the PC gets connected automatically?

If it's the former then the PPPoE setup on the router should work. If it is the latter, then the auto-setup CD has setup the ZyXEL modem to login automatically to PLDT. In this second case, the ZyXEL modem's router has been enabled. Even if it only has one LAN port, the ZyXEL is a modem-router because you can always connect it to a switch or hub to expand the number of computers you can connect.

Anyway, one thing you can do is change the Linksys router's IP address to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.2. This will put the LAN port of the Linksys on a different subnet as that of its WAN port. Some routers have difficulty in connecting to a modem-router which has an IP address that falls on the same subnet as the LAN port.

Once you change the IP address and subnet, you can no longer access the router unless you release/renew the IP address of your PC. You can simply reboot your XP machine to do this or repair the connection (if you know what I mean).

Try this and less us know the result.
"Set your mind free!"

marusu

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »
ok, thanks! i tried already... i changed my linksys router's IP to 192.168.2.1 and renewed the IP of my pc (connected to the router) and it got the 192.168.2.100 IP...

i set the internet connection type of my router to "Obtain IP Adress automatically", which I was hoping would work since the ZyXEL modem/router should connect to the internet automatically right?

On the status page of my linksys router, i saw that it got the IP address and DNS server adresses of pldt correctly... the IP address was the same IP address when the dsl router was directly connected to my pc...

but when i try to connect to the internet from my pc, it still times out... then i tried setting my router to PPPoE connection, using the username and password given by pldt, but when i click on the "Connect" button on the router's status page, it also times out...

so i unplugged the cable and plugged it back in my pc, and here i am typing what happened... hehehe... :P right now i'm clueless on what to try next... just shows how limited my knowledge on networking is... :P

Offline motion55

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 03:36:15 PM »
Very good observations! You are very close solving this.

Your ZyXEL modem is setup in what is known as a half-bridge configuration. It logs in automatically to PLDT and passes the IP, DNS server and gateway address info to the PC that requests it thru DHCP. Unlike a router however, the ZyXEL does not perform network address translation (NAT).

If you connect the Linksys router to the modem and setup the router to "obtain address automatically", the public IP address, DNS server and gateway information is passed on to it. The Linksys should perform NAT and act as a gateway to PCs connected to it.

Here is the next step. Connect the linksys router again and connect your PC to the router. Release/renew the IP address of the PC and type the command "ipconfig /all". Check if the ff info apply to the LAN card:

IP address - 192.168.2.100

subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

default gateway - 192.168.2.1

DNS - 192.168.2.1

Also other tests to perform are:

ping 210.5.112.1

tracert 210.5.112.1
"Set your mind free!"

marusu

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:34:11 PM »
thanks! ok, i did just that...

the info were all correct, except for the DNS:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.172.11.21

The DNS that appeared were the DNS servers of the pldt dsl connection...

i did a succesful ping to 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1, but it failed when i tried to ping the DNS addresses above.

on your previous post, what is the address 210.5.112.1 for?

i tried doing a tracert to address 192.168.2.1 and found it weird that it was taking too long before a result was displayed (unless i specify the -d option)... another weird thing was when i tracert 192.168.1.1, only 1 hop count was shown, shouldn't it be 2, because the linksys router is connected to the pldt modem/router? haha, actually, i wasn't sure if that was correct... =P

Offline motion55

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »
on your previous post, what is the address 210.5.112.1 for?

This address is the gateway address of PLDT. This may be different in your case. You may find the correct one in the linksys status page along with your public IP address, DNS address, etc.

You should successfully ping to this address or there is something wrong with the Linksys router.

You can try to reset the Linksys router to its factory state by pressing its reset button for a long time. You should also clone your PC's MAC address in the linksys setup to be sure the ZyXEL is not filtering against MAC address.

I think there is only one hop from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.1.1. But I think that is not too important now. You can also type "route print" to see the routing table of your PC.
"Set your mind free!"

marusu

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 06:45:22 PM »
gadzooks! it works!

its aaaalliiiiiiivvee-aaahh! bwahahaha!

WOW! thanks man! i just cloned my MAC address on the router and it worked!

i really don't know how i can repay you, but if you need anything multimedia-related, maybe i can help... :P

thanks! muchos gracias! arigato! salamat salamat! :P

... surfing times are heare again... =D

j3p3u

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 04:05:02 PM »
thanks guys....all the informations on this thread would help a lot...i just have one problem though....my 10yr old daughter is gonna try and do this configuration for me....i'm not in manila....i just need to make the linksys wrtg54g work with the zyxel so that my daughter and my 8yr old son can go online at the same time...salamat sa lahat....but if anyone of you wants to earn a couple of bucks to do it for me...just post it here and i will be glad to give the contact number in makati...

Offline Xperteaze

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 04:40:05 PM »
i have a somewhat similar problem.

I have a linksys wireless-G broadband router n pldt mydsl plan.

my desktop comp acts as the main router.

centrino laptop theceipient of wi-fi.

there is no problem whatsoever on my laptop, sa desktop lang, I cant connect to operamail, fox sports, yahoo mail n similar sites. pero can connect to 90% of other sites. I can play online games w/out any problem.

when I dont use the linksys router( direct sa pldt modem to lancard), I can connect to 100% of all sites no problem whatsoever.

anybody knows what might be the problem?

Offline dta

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »
Windows XP has a built-in Network Diagnostics tool.

It's buried deep in the Windows Help (yup, the Windows Start Menu | Help and Support | Tools | Network Diagnostics | Scan your system).

Network Diagnostics will ping your DNS Servers to check if they're working or not (it's quite often that PLDT DSL's DNS servers goes bonkers lately... although I've replaced my DNS server settings with other Open NIC DNS servers). It also checks the DHCP Server and will display "PASSED" or "FAILED" so you know where the problem is located.

It seems that there's also a command-line tool included with Windows XP called NETSH.EXE but it's a bit cryptic to use (good for people who like typing a  command-line though!)

Online bravoexo

• Mazda3, Canon 40, 400D, Anime and Xbox360 Freak
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »
wow, 1 year and 5 months later...
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, M4 mSATA 256Gb, Agility 3 120Gb, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 5, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, GTX680-DC2-4GD5 x 2, E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, L800, 5600CF, G27, G700, F3, Spyder2, Nexstar DualDock USB3

Offline DylanJames

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 08:15:34 AM »
tama nga ba date nito? tagal na nito a..

Offline dta

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 10:28:25 AM »
wow, 1 year and 5 months later...

Well, I was searching for some topic and this old thread came up. I suppose it's better to post in an old thread than to start a new one if it's related.

Isn't that true, moderator? ;-)

Offline calvin

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »
unfortunately, the poster would probably curse to high heavens if he/she sees it now and after he/she's reformatted and re-installed the OS and lost all of his/her data in the process to correct the issue.... he he he

Offline madman

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
I'll just bump this up.