Author Topic: "Program Damaged due to Bad Sector or Virus. Please reinstall" problem  (Read 555 times)

cevar_blackwing

Guys,

I need help!  Whenever I start my GetRight Program it automatically shows a window with title "Error !" showing the above explanation.  It also happens when opening Adaware.  

Just for the record... I already downloaded the latest update from AVG and found no problems.  I've also used the CWShredder to remove the CoolWebSearch trojan from my computer which causes the browser to redirect to a certain site...... Also used the HijackThis Software and removed some entries..

Is there someone else who has the same problem?  I just hope we can find a solution to this matter.

Offline HellboyV1.2

"Program Damaged due to Bad Sector or Virus. Please reinstall" problem
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:47:49 PM »
try running scandisk and see if your HD is ok. Like what the error said, you might have a bad sector. Bad sectors are areas of the hard disk that the computer cant read or has become unreadable due to things like power spikes, brown outs, PSU problems, CPU getting knocked over... etc.

So if that area of the hard disk stores info on GetRight and Adaware chances are the program will be damaged. Try that.

Offline Juice111

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 01:10:01 PM »

You know the title looks funny if you read it all the way...it looked like please reinstall problem lol

cevar_blackwing

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:51:32 PM »
Already tried the surface scan of the hard disk, showed no errors.  I even used a diagnostic tool (Drive Fitness Test) for the hard disk to test if there is some hardware problem but there isn't any.  Also tried checkdisk but no solution.  

I've learned from other forums that this may not be caused by a bad sector or virus.. it might be a spyware or something...  I haven't found any remedy for this in those forums... Maybe I'll check next week

Thanx for the response guys!

Offline Juice111

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »
I already have programs crashed because of spywares. Like radeon clockers. I got that tip too that spywares sometimes causes such problems.

Offline HellboyV1.2

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 04:49:39 PM »
Type MSconfig on the run menu and see if there are any programs that looks funny. I did this before and found that a spyware proggie was consuming almost all my network bandwidth and made my CPU usage to be always at 100%

cevar_blackwing

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 05:45:48 PM »
Thanks for the MSConfig tip, but I haven't found any suspicious programs there.  I think the real culprit here is the CoolWebSearch trojan.  After using the CWShredder it might have removed the trojan, but it can't recover what has already been altered by the trojan in my computer.  

I guess the final solution for me is a fresh install of windows.

I would recommend CWShredder for people who find their browsers always redirecting to the CoolWebSearch page.  The trojan causes your browser not to recognize your custom home page.  Another symptom of this trojan is when you try to change your default home page, it would just go back to its previous wrong value when you restart the computer.

Also use HiJackThis to know what programs are connected or attached to your browser.  Some spywares can be found there.  Just be careful on removing some entries.

Those tools can be found here :

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Offline RascalKing

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:44:26 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't getright come with an adware component?  if you use ad-aware or other spyware remover which removes that component, then getright won't work properly...baka yun ang cause ng problem mo...

cap

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 11:38:32 PM »
Cevar

I have the exact same problem.  Please let me know if you are able to fix it.   My problem started after my browser was hijacked.   I suspect it is the result of some spyware too but I can't find a tool that can find it.  It was also preevnting me from downloading ad-aware.

I can't even uninstall Getright.

Offline [JZ] Nightmare

• OHMIGEWDNESS
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »
@cevar_blackwing

you could try spybot s&d.

@juice111

You know the title looks funny if you read it all the way...it looked like please reinstall problem lol

I read it the same way. then i read it again this time slower.
Intel i7-3770 | AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 | Corsair H110 | Team Elite+ DDR3 1600mhz 2 x 8GB | Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme | Intel 335 SSD 180gb | WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM 1000 | Samsung SH-222 DVD Writer | Samsung S23A300B | Logitech Z506 | Corsair Air 540