Author Topic: Perpetual Car Thread  (Read 706332 times)

Offline lahar

Re: Perpetual Car Thread
« Reply #6980 on: April 17, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »
What's a good dash cam?

US reviewers say Garmin 55 daw?

Satisfied with my Xiaomi Mujia. Simple dashcam.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #6981 on: April 18, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
These days you'll need front and back cameras at least. Too many tailgaters out there.

Offline lahar

« Reply #6982 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6983 on: April 28, 2019, 12:24:29 AM »
Been reading up on the LED replacement bulb situation.

1) It seems that light manufacturers have finally gotten stuff right and modern LEDs do play well inside reflector housings. This is done by using a very narrow line of LEDs which closely mimic the dispersion pattern you might see from a filament.

Philips Ultinon H4 has its LEDs in a very narrow strip

2) Downside is instead of using many LEDs to produce a big amount of light, LED lamps designed to work in existing housings now use as little as three tiny LEDs. This means those LEDs are being driven very hard, which requires lots of current (often as much, if not more than halogens to begin with) resulting in very hot drivers which sometimes require active cooling. Most led kits that promise 200% output will do so at 70-80W, or about 150% at 50-60W (compared to a stock 55W halogen). That makes them uncompetitive with HID projectors (35W-50W) and somewhat in-line with new HIR bulbs from Philips (Racing Vision) and OSRAM (Nightbreaker Laser) which have 150% output @ the standard halogen 55W.
fhtagn

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6984 on: April 28, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Interesting stuff

fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #6985 on: April 28, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
Been reading up on the LED replacement bulb situation.

1) It seems that light manufacturers have finally gotten stuff right and modern LEDs do play well inside reflector housings. This is done by using a very narrow line of LEDs which closely mimic the dispersion pattern you might see from a filament.

Philips Ultinon H4 has its LEDs in a very narrow strip

2) Downside is instead of using many LEDs to produce a big amount of light, LED lamps designed to work in existing housings now use as little as three tiny LEDs. This means those LEDs are being driven very hard, which requires lots of current (often as much, if not more than halogens to begin with) resulting in very hot drivers which sometimes require active cooling. Most led kits that promise 200% output will do so at 70-80W, or about 150% at 50-60W (compared to a stock 55W halogen). That makes them uncompetitive with HID projectors (35W-50W) and somewhat in-line with new HIR bulbs from Philips (Racing Vision) and OSRAM (Nightbreaker Laser) which have 150% output @ the standard halogen 55W.

Nice read. Ordered LEDs for my headlights. The only hassle is Kia/Hyundai uses a Euro-style bulb mounting requiring th euse of an adapter ring.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6986 on: April 29, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
What brand you got? The Philips are kinda pricey but still way below what an HID retrofit would cost. There are cheaper brands like Novsight that are supposedly ok, but somehow the LED strips don't look quite as narrow as Philips'.

Novsight dashcam video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8fzEgeu0c
fhtagn

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #6987 on: April 29, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
I have a novsight LED. much brighter than halogen. and works better than the old COB-type leds. Great high-beam. has good cut-off on my old strada but not as sharp as projectors (still saving up to get some).

might need to do some minor alignment adjustments to get it to work just the way you want

Offline lahar

« Reply #6988 on: April 29, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »
What brand you got? The Philips are kinda pricey but still way below what an HID retrofit would cost. There are cheaper brands like Novsight that are supposedly ok, but somehow the LED strips don't look quite as narrow as Philips'.

Novsight dashcam video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8fzEgeu0c

I got the Novsight LEDs on my fogs. They are dual color (white and yellow) which you can change by simply turning them off an on again. They are pretty good. I also have LEDs on my low beams (I don't remember the brand anymore and Lazada seems to have pulled ot out from their line). But not satisfied with them as they are 6500K, the don't have the "throw" and color seems "dead". I ordered from LED Works Philippines their X9 series All Weathers at 4300K which they claim has Philips LEDs already.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6989 on: April 30, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
^ 4300k FTW! I was considering the Novsight stuff too but wary of the 6500k. Between 6500k LEDs and HIRs I'm leaning more toward just getting HIRs unless there's a good 4300k kit available.

Of course proper HID retrofit trumps all of these options, but it also costs at least 10x more.
fhtagn

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6990 on: May 02, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
Did the Jeep dude just fall asleep at the wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh2c0tFmYRE
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #6991 on: May 10, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6992 on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
Anyone tried detailing/ceramic coat at Technical Details? They're very highly reviewed and recommended on FB and the Tsikot forums. And lapit lang pala nila sa Team East coz they're just along Marcos highway near the Santolan station.
fhtagn

Offline altec

Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6994 on: May 21, 2019, 02:12:32 AM »
fhtagn

Offline lahar

Offline lahar

« Reply #6997 on: June 29, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »
My wife enrolled at driving school today. Luckily the LTO at SM SJDM was also open. Took her about 20min. Also found my own license to be expired. While the LTO  (including ID printng) and medical part only took a total of 10 mintes, it was the payment at the SM payment counter that took another 10 minutes due to only one cashier working. Also the license now is indeed 5 years validity.

Offline athlonFan

• Veterans
    • fyq's site
« Reply #6998 on: July 04, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
splerdu,

Do you think I'll have better success with LEDs on a KIA Carens iv? It is a projector headlight but with conventional  H7 halogen with the normal Check cut off .
I should put something smart or silly here.

http://athlonfan.multiply.com

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6999 on: July 04, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
Haven't seen LED replacements for halogen projectors in action ever, so no idea.
fhtagn