Author Topic: The future of PinoyPC  (Read 15090 times)

Offline Al

• Administrator
    • Trashcan of Thoughts
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2002, 06:34:25 PM »
Like I said, it's too early for such concerns. Master bryan hasn't even finalized anything yet.

Furthermore, it's not like the Website will be abandoned altogether, is it? If it will be, which I doubt, then let's find a way to keep it there. Besides, I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to pay up, if ever. If you're not willing to pay the fee, and want to keep your anonymity, then well and good.

The way I see it, the premium thingy is just for people who want a little more out of PPC. Then again, we'll have to wait and see.
Trashcan of Thoughts -- http://www.allibrero.com

Offline domeng

• http://www.markdomingo.com
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2002, 06:44:48 PM »
when people say it would be good,  they say it with such finality.

when people say it would be bad, someone will always say "it's not yet final." or something to that effect.

it's nice that we have discussions about the future of pinoypc, negative or positive, as to provide   bryan as necessary inputs to base upon on making his decision (if he hasn't made a decision yet).

Offline spolarium

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2002, 07:03:35 PM »
Maybe this deserves an EB during the sem break to gain as much feedback as possible?

Offline bryan

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2002, 11:34:37 PM »
troubleshooting questions thru SMS?

mahal! ehek!

would this software/service provide dial-up access for message downloading and posting ala edsamail? if this service would still need internet access, why migrate from a web based interface (which is more or less platform independent) to a software based, proprietary platform?

no.

the software is just icing in the cake. remember, we're not completely leaving the web based interface. the members only web-based interface would be revamped to provide better searching, faster access, and other tools like print view. pricecompare will also be a members only service.

I also do not like the idea of migrating into a pay-site... I know of very few sites who survived converting from a free site to a paysite, unless it has pr0n...

as i said, we're not migrating completely. this is just an extension.

I also think that P500 is too much... Tapos pupunta lang kay Billgates pambayad sa Software..

that's for a year. You'll pay 1.40 pesos every day for that service. And besides, 500 isn't final yet.

changing the concept from being free to something that needs to be paid is not the final solution.

you've been used too much to getting stuff on the web for free. advertising doesn't work on the web. this is not about money. this is about making the people that are really interested in pinoypc to at least put something in for their membership. it's too easy to register and bash people on the board. but if you have to pay first, you'll think twice about trolling since sayang pera mo if we ban you.

It is very disappointing that the one you usually visit/use is for free then after some time, it starts to charge it's users(that's why i quit using Edsamail).

that's because there's no free lunch in this world. do you think that edsamail can be supported only by ads? that's idealistic and naive.

Otherwise, I might have to either pay for 7 consoles to learn and help Filipino techies or change my homepage to Yahoo! again.........

you'll only need to pay once. the software is available for public download but you can't login if your account is not paid.

Bravoexo, excellent idea. Can we discuss this further?

1. Handhelds: maybe use existing technology rather than re-invent the wheel. I use mobi-pocket reader to read sites from CNN, ZDNet, The Onion, etc. Maybe the site can use RSS or Palm DOC files or whatever.

2. WAP: Maybe the same as #2? offline browsing of content?

3. Payment options? cash? check? major credit cards? paypal? mountain dew? pegasus girls?

1. No

2. No

3. Still working on it

what about the issue of privacy?

In a community, there is no total anonymity. You are always held liable for your actions.

with regard sa mga delinquent posters (troll), that's what the job of the moderator - to filter out unwanted post.

O sige, ikaw magbayad ng Internet connection at oras ng moderators.

As for the issue of the population drop, so what? It's not the quantity of people that makes a community great. If we have to drop 10 members for every Orly, or every RonnieG, or every Sumi Das that you can still see here, then by all means drop them.

Cause of great divide among the members? Di nyo ba napapansin na meron na nyan ngayon? Or hindi lang halata dahil wala pang nagbabayad?

Maybe this deserves an EB during the sem break to gain as much feedback as possible?

Malapit na 2nd year anniversary ng PPC. Mag-o-organize ako ng EB para dun.
SSDD

engr_adiaken

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2002, 11:54:31 PM »
OT:

I havent read this discussions yet but at least I got the idea... its OKEY  for me if we have to pay to support PPC....anyway, if we can spend some stuffs then why not for PPC. Its worth it naman kasi I have read a lot of infos here kahit Im not that expert though.And besides, money can be worked out if you really want...sanay lang kasi ang mga pinoy sa libre..pero the reality, wala naman talagang free dito sa internet. Yahoo is free because it was supported by a lot of sponsors and advertisements, etc. Im sure theyve invested on it as well as the other sites that weve seen.

Im just concerned for those students who signed up here in PPC?? hows that?

maybe pwede silang bigyan ng discount.

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2002, 12:01:17 AM »
Woa!  Sumi-Das?  Where....where... he he he.... (I miss TechTV)

Bryan,

If you are talking about the PPC posting credit scheme.  Yes, I think its a good idea, so people here can value every post they make, or lack thereof.  A rewards system too boost a forum member's morale too.   In this way, there's a tendency to put more reasonable, more thoughtout post as answers to threads, than OT ones'.  I guess the database of profile's just needs a bucket or two to hold current credits, when we post, it automatically removes credits from that bucket, and if a threadstarter or moderator likes a post, credits are added... Of course mods can decide if troublshooting threads cost more than for example lounge or something... and threadstarters can't rate their own replies to threads (self defeating/way of manipulating) ^_^

Here's a mock FAQ.  *(To further understand the concept)

1.  What is a PPC republic credit?

You need credits to post on PPC (or at the Troubleshooting section only).  Threads that ask which product is better can cost more also, or which is the best should cost more.  Of course that's decided by the mods/admins

2.  How do I get PPC republic credits?

You are given 100 credits upon signup.  If you've used up all your credits, you can ask for some credits from moderators/admins.  You can ask from other members for credits.  (actual amount of credit will depend on final version)

3.  Can I earn credits?

A threadstarter who likes/appreciates your post, can give you back the credits you used to post, plus some more as an incentive/reward for a good reply or post.  This way, the better to post, the more credits you can earn.  Mods can give you credits outright as well.  

4.  How do I manage credits?

Starting a thread will cost you credits.  But the answers you get may be worth it.  You can check the bank (your profile) for your credit balance.  Admins/mods can choose to refresh the credits to 100 again every week/month or so.

5.  Will post with huge images cost more?

Could be.  (Then I'll be bankrupt with the Games thread alone) ha ha ha

6.  How can I lose credits?

Start a thread that gets locked penalizes you some credits after the fact.  Mods can remove some credits from your balance as well, when they find your post innappropriate or against the rules.

7.  Does credit translate to cash?

Nope.

he he he...overboard...

Edited by bravoexo on 2002-09-21 00:09:01
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline /dave/null

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2002, 03:13:16 AM »
7. Does credit translate to cash?

Nope.

How about the more you get credits, you earn points. Earn enough points to get some cool gear.

OT: [Watto]Republic Credits? They're no good out here, outlander![/Watto]

Edited by /dave/null on 2002-09-21 03:14:04

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2002, 08:23:01 AM »
How about, after one month, members with credits greater than their alloted number at the start of the month get's upgraded from "Member" to a PPC name tag of your choice... ^_^
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2002, 04:33:38 PM »
I don't get it why people who aren't willing to pay are making such a fuss?  You can opt not to pay and you can opt to stay anonymous.  You can still read the threads.

Xhristian

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2002, 06:54:08 PM »
I don't get it why people who aren't willing to pay are making such a fuss? You can opt not to pay and you can opt to stay anonymous. You can still read the threads

-- Reading the word "PAY" frightens most people without having to read the whole post.

Hmmm... maybe this can also be done on tpc to improve security and bogus posts. hmmmm

maotsetong

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2002, 07:02:34 PM »
-- Reading the word "PAY" frightens most people without having to read the whole post.

mr. abacus particularly doesn't care about "PAY."

if you would read his posts again.

no offense meant...

Edited by maotsetong on 2002-09-22 19:05:42

Xhristian

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2002, 07:13:03 PM »
mr. abacus particularly doesn't care about "PAY."

if you would read his posts again.

no offense meant...

I was not really referring to anyone in particular but rather the whole thing. Don't worry I wasn't offended =}

Offline BaThMaN

• http://
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2002, 07:19:01 PM »
Malapit na 2nd year anniversary ng PPC. Mag-o-organize ako ng EB para dun.

Hmmm, why not try my place... B-day ko and my baby (at the same time binyag hehehe) all-in-one sa Oct. 31 (di ba anniv ng PPC sa nov. 1; mas maganda naman siguro yung 31 kesa sa nov 1 mag-EB)...

problem lang is transpo, since marami naman sa inyo may wheels, mag car-pool na lang... wala na problem sa food... in short, ang i-organize nyo yung sasakyan (and yung gifts nyahahaha!!!) = )

i'll post pics sa place kung interested kayo...
eddie gil for president!

Offline BaThMaN

• http://
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2002, 07:20:14 PM »
oo nga pala, may kalayuan ang place ko. 4-6hrs. dagupan city po.
eddie gil for president!

Offline J

• Veterans
  • Semi-Newbie
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2002, 07:40:13 PM »
great idea bravoexo :) that credit scheme idea sounds promising. implementation will be key if ever it's feasible for the people here. that would be a good way to keep posts in balance for the newbies and make the 'certified menyeks' stay here more rewarding.

engr_adiaken

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2002, 09:55:09 PM »
I read na the whole thread....and will check this thread till the suggestions will be finalized......I hope it will come up that everybody will agree so that this community will remain united as it is.

engr_adiaken

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2002, 10:08:43 PM »
May I suggest na bawasan ang posting ng "perpetual babe thread"... I guess it took some space to maintain it....

No offense to those who posts.....

Offline arbee

• Veterans
    • flickr
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2002, 10:36:53 PM »
OT:

May I suggest na bawasan ang posting ng "perpetual babe thread"...I guess it took some space to maintain it....

space? care to clarify? the pictures there are linked to other sites...=)

Edited by arbee on 2002-09-22 22:39:19
what is certain in this world is uncertainty...

engr_adiaken

The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2002, 08:18:39 PM »
space? care to clarify? the pictures there are linked to other sites...=)

oo nga pala...nakalimutan ko naka link nga pala sa ibang sites...hehhhehe

Offline Alan

• Veterans
The future of PinoyPC
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2002, 11:09:30 PM »
point of view from a moderator:

At my "peak" as a moderator

My monthly internet cost to "patrol" PPC: Roughly PhP1,000.00 - P2,000.00

Value of the time i spend on this: Roughly 5,000.00 - 10,000.00 a month (moderating is more or less a full time job, if you take it seriously)

freebies:

-headaches from trolls, spammers, and general crap heads.

What do I get in return?

1 free dinner every year

EBs, the same as everyone else...I pay for my contribution and I normally bring food and drinks to the EB (which I don't charge for)

Have you given as much to PinoyPC as the mods have?  I think it's time for you guys to do your share...if you don't want to pay, be content to stay at the "free" sections.

Factionalism in PPC?  That has been going on for some time...nothing new.  Where are the real veterans of PPC?  Still here but in "lurk" mode only.

I'd rather have 1 RonnieG or 1 Micoh in PPC than 100 Thrustmasters