Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 692265 times)

Online lahar

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #10740 on: November 24, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
Watching YT videos featuring retro PCs (286, 386, 486, 586 and early Pentiums).

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10741 on: November 25, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »
Nice.

I think 385/486 was peak DOS era. Compatible with everything, not too fast that old games are out of whack (or at least there's still a real turbo button that slows things down to 4.77MHz)

Once you go into Win95/98 and 3D cards there's not much advantage to intentionally choosing old hardware, apart maybe from having a CRT monitor.
fhtagn

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #10742 on: November 25, 2021, 05:46:17 PM »
What is worse than being dishonest? Being BETRAYED!

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #10743 on: November 26, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
OUTCH!

Online lahar

« Reply #10744 on: November 26, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »
Nice.

I think 385/486 was peak DOS era. Compatible with everything, not too fast that old games are out of whack (or at least there's still a real turbo button that slows things down to 4.77MHz)

Once you go into Win95/98 and 3D cards there's not much advantage to intentionally choosing old hardware, apart maybe from having a CRT monitor.

Well there are those currently into mechanical keyboards.

Its nostalgic seeing how far we've moved on from ball mice, 2D VGA cards, paper white monitors, Wordstar keyboard shortcuts, HIMEM, ...

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #10745 on: November 27, 2021, 08:20:53 AM »
#3. Those spinning mops with centrifuge buckets. Ace has the best i've encountered. Damn! It's so much more effective AND saves time at the same time. Life changing. No exaggeration. Ok, maybe i was too late in the adulting game. When to use a vac with brush attachment, when to use microfiber rags, when to use walis, when to use mops. Nowadays, even my walls and ceilings are clean.   
i'm gonna get me one of those. might as well mop the floor while waiting for the pot to boil. thanks!
I suggest one with a stainless spinner. It has generally better quality materials compared with the all-plastic ones.

https://shopee.ph/SUNTON-ROTARY-MOP-360-i.274154923.6440889757?sp_atk=ce2da786-aa23-4389-b8a8-766eef21f853

ah looks durable. i'll consider that. thanks!

on the subject of cleaning, any recommendations for a portable, hand held vacuum cleaner in Lazada? is there one with a blower function for cleaning the inside of a PC? thanks!

Offline altec

« Reply #10746 on: November 27, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
Hand held vacuums have its place. Especially on cars. The overseas honda odyssey has its built in vacuum since its purpose is a family hauler.

I can see some in social media that are into the biz of professional cleaning of CPUs, playstations, use an air compressor with an air gun. You can also buy compressed air in a can. CRC or spanjaard comes to mind. 300-500 pesos for a can of air... yeesh =) https://web.facebook.com/crownmillsupply/posts/3302671666418951

OK. Am not an expert on cleaning a keyboard. But you'll surprised how much dust you can remove with a 1.5" brush that was meant to paint walls. Maybe a household vac with a brush attachment will be more effective. Update us on your results.
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #10747 on: November 27, 2021, 11:31:32 AM »
i mean, having a blower function is nice but its primary function would be to help clean up the house :lol:

yeah i use brush too to clean my keyboard. 1 inch brush and an old watercolor paintbrush to get to harder to reach areas.

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #10748 on: November 29, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
I got one of those super vac that they are selling at handyman, you know the one that can pick up a bowling ball lol.
when reversed it can act as a powerful blower which gets the dogs running outside lol.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10749 on: November 29, 2021, 10:57:06 AM »

300-500 pesos for a can of air... yeesh =)

Compressed air cans are a scam! I bought one from True Value not checking the label and got sticker shock on check out lol.

Mas mahal pa compared to a can of any other aerosol that actually does something.
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #10750 on: November 29, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »

Compressed air cans are a scam! I bought one from True Value not checking the label and got sticker shock on check out lol.

Mas mahal pa compared to a can of any other aerosol that actually does something.

Yup. Just get a Datavac or something similar instead.

Offline motion55

« Reply #10751 on: November 29, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »
Intel's 12 generation processors are out. There is some excitement with these new CPUs.

But getting hot CPUs is like obtaining Covid vaccines. The Philippines is well behind the richest countries when these become readily available.

Having problems with my Rizen 3700x machine, I am slowly buying replacement parts to fix it. I am close to buying a new motherboard and CPU. I'd like to hold off buying after Christmas when the new gen Intel CPUs are readily available locally or AMD CPUs are lowered in price.
"Set your mind free!"

Online lahar

« Reply #10752 on: November 29, 2021, 01:46:06 PM »
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/top-israeli-health-expert-covid-vaccine-reduces-severe-illness-in-omicron-cases-1.10421310

Israel’s chief of public health services, Dr. Sharon Alroy-Preis, warned Sunday that the potential for infection with the COVID variant omicron is “very high,” but stressed that in cases where vaccinated people were infected they became only slightly ill.

According to the South Africa Medical Association, people infected with the omicron variant have shown only mild symptoms. Angelique Coetzee, SAMA’s chairwoman, told the BBC that the cases identified so far are not severe. However, she noted that research on the omicron variant is still in its initial stages. As of Sunday, only 24 percent of the people in South Africa have been fully vaccinated, she added.

Prof. Dror Mevorach, head of the coronavirus department at Hadassah University Hospital Ein Karem, said the preliminary reports on the clinical condition of people infected with the new variant are encouraging. “If it continues this way, this might be a relatively mild illness compared to the delta variant, and paradoxically, if it takes over, it will lead to lower infection rates,” and it will be easier to deal with globally.

Online lahar

« Reply #10753 on: November 29, 2021, 02:46:15 PM »

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #10754 on: November 29, 2021, 04:08:38 PM »
Intel's 12 generation processors are out. There is some excitement with these new CPUs.

But getting hot CPUs is like obtaining Covid vaccines. The Philippines is well behind the richest countries when these become readily available.

Having problems with my Rizen 3700x machine, I am slowly buying replacement parts to fix it. I am close to buying a new motherboard and CPU. I'd like to hold off buying after Christmas when the new gen Intel CPUs are readily available locally or AMD CPUs are lowered in price.

These were the prices at Microcenter this past Black Friday.

Meanwhile over here, the prices are crazy expensive, costing at least 10k pesos more.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10755 on: November 29, 2021, 05:41:11 PM »
I'm surprised they went on sale considering how new and in demand Alder Lake is.

Locally I find AMD prices too inflated. Dami masyado fans lol
fhtagn

Online WallyWest

« Reply #10756 on: November 30, 2021, 09:21:24 AM »
i mean, having a blower function is nice but its primary function would be to help clean up the house :lol:

yeah i use brush too to clean my keyboard. 1 inch brush and an old watercolor paintbrush to get to harder to reach areas.
Might be better to get a regular vacuum cleaner then. I clean my rig by pointing a vacuum cleaner at it while agitating the dust with a paintbrush.
For old rigs that's been stashed away for a long time, I just take it outdoors, take it apart, and brush the hell out of it.

Offline motion55

« Reply #10757 on: November 30, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »

These were the prices at Microcenter this past Black Friday.

Meanwhile over here, the prices are crazy expensive, costing at least 10k pesos more.

I can live with those USA prices for the I7-12700K.

My rig this morning won't even enter BIOS setup after several attempts at power up. Yesterday, I reset reinstall the Windows 10. Then the new 2TB SSD arrived and I put that in and installed Win 11 on it. Both ran very well without hangs. Since both SSDs each have a boot manager, then each can independently load without the other's presence. The MSI B550 Mortar has two M.2 slots.

Next step would probably be to buy a new mobo. I was hoping to wait until at least 12/12.

FYI, I am currently using an old I7-3770 PC.

Also, I am A2 and eligible for the Covid booster shots. I got J&J for the first shot. That comes next after I fix this damned PC.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline altec

« Reply #10758 on: November 30, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »
Back when there was a PCX store in ATC (andun pa kaya yun) my rule of thumb is that a mobo and processor pair should be around 10K petot for an entry level but useable rig. That rule worked for at least 3 builds.

Those microcenter prices are pretty rich for me. Not sure if it's due to differing personal budgets or if the ticket price of admission for a rig nowadays has gone higher. (Higher than inflation rates.) Hol' on, an i5 for over 15k... Hhmmmmmmmm.

Magla laptop na nga lang ako. Para maka maximum bang to buck?!?! Wuh??
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #10759 on: November 30, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »

I can live with those USA prices for the I7-12700K.

My rig this morning won't even enter BIOS setup after several attempts at power up. Yesterday, I reset reinstall the Windows 10. Then the new 2TB SSD arrived and I put that in and installed Win 11 on it. Both ran very well without hangs. Since both SSDs each have a boot manager, then each can independently load without the other's presence. The MSI B550 Mortar has two M.2 slots.

Next step would probably be to buy a new mobo. I was hoping to wait until at least 12/12.

FYI, I am currently using an old I7-3770 PC.

Also, I am A2 and eligible for the Covid booster shots. I got J&J for the first shot. That comes next after I fix this damned PC.

Last I checked, the 12700K is down to $350 now with a further $20 discount if bought with a mobo. Except for GPUs, the PC component deals particularly for HDDs/SSDs and CPUs are quite enviable over there in the US.

Anyway, I got my 12700K from Amazon at around SRP. Including shipping, it was still cheaper than the local pricing. I bought the board from the ASUS Lazmall store last 11.11 sale and used my store vouchers and credit card rebates plus I got a free Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD too.