Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 692257 times)

Offline Mr. Bungle

Re: What's on your mind?
« Reply #10700 on: November 04, 2021, 12:21:59 PM »
I enabled passwordless biometric and hardware security key login for my Microsoft account with 2FA enabled. It works Windows Hello Login, Office365, Outlook, OneDrive and other MS service sign-ins. This feature effectively removed my old password from my account.

Hackers can't hack/phish/brute-force your password because there is no password. They would have to have physical access to your face/fingerprint/security key and 2FA device/key to get into your account. I find that this system is more secure and convenient and I hope Google, Apple, etc. follow suit.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10701 on: November 05, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »
The literature I've been reading actually suggests against doing that. Biometrics are ok as a username, but suck as a password because you can't really keep them truly secret.

Case in point, if you go anywhere that gives your biometric info to a third party then they effectively have your password. That means someone operating the fingerprint scanner for various national IDs, PNP clearance, etc. There is still a password, only you can't change it because it's your fingerprint/retina/voice.

https://kfp.kaspersky.com/news/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-biometric-authentication-technology/

Biometric identification is highly effective because we all have distinct biological characteristics which can’t easily be faked or exploited – although there are exceptions, such as criminal cases featuring identical twins. Actually, that’s something of a myth – while biometrics may seem secure on the surface, that doesn’t make them foolproof. While a password is something that only its owner knows, your biological traits, for the most part, are very much public. You leave your fingerprints everywhere you go, your voice can be recorded and your face is probably stored in hundreds of places, ranging from social media to law enforcement databases. If those databases are compromised, a hackers could gain access to your biometric data.
fhtagn

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #10702 on: November 05, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
The literature I've been reading actually suggests against doing that. Biometrics are ok as a username, but suck as a password because you can't really keep them truly secret.

Case in point, if you go anywhere that gives your biometric info to a third party then they effectively have your password. That means someone operating the fingerprint scanner for various national IDs, PNP clearance, etc. There is still a password, only you can't change it because it's your fingerprint/retina/voice.

https://kfp.kaspersky.com/news/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-biometric-authentication-technology/

Biometric identification is highly effective because we all have distinct biological characteristics which can’t easily be faked or exploited – although there are exceptions, such as criminal cases featuring identical twins. Actually, that’s something of a myth – while biometrics may seem secure on the surface, that doesn’t make them foolproof. While a password is something that only its owner knows, your biological traits, for the most part, are very much public. You leave your fingerprints everywhere you go, your voice can be recorded and your face is probably stored in hundreds of places, ranging from social media to law enforcement databases. If those databases are compromised, a hackers could gain access to your biometric data.

I only use it on my personal devices and as far as I know, while there is no such thing as foolproof security, biometric authentication technology for modern devices has advanced enough to detect at least rudimentary biometric spoofing plus the biometric data is stored locally within the security chip of the device. As another layer of security, I do have MFA enabled and constantly practice security hygiene.

In the remote chance that my biometric data does get compromised from a database elsewhere, the hacker will have to specifically target me and physically have access to my device due to the biometric authentication facility and biometric data being on the device itself and not anywhere else. I don't think I'm high profile enough to be such a target. I'm just a random nobody lol. To that end, I still think passwords are riskier being that they are more commonly used so they're more likely to be targeted broadly like what happens in security breaches and they can be more easily hacked remotely.

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #10703 on: November 07, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »
I'm due for license renewal in Dec and looks like I'm gonna have to do the new LTO driver certificate course thingy :(
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10704 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
fhtagn

Offline altec

« Reply #10706 on: November 09, 2021, 01:51:07 PM »
You guys should see Aguinaldo hiway (it's no longer a hiway really) going to tagaytay. So many never-heard, off-brand gas stations.

Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Online lahar

Online lahar

« Reply #10708 on: November 10, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
First time to return an item to a Lazada seller.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10709 on: November 10, 2021, 10:04:03 PM »
Reserve 12700k/12900k?

I got word that initial quantities are going to be very limited, almost like the local RTX3000 launch.
Next chance to buy at a decent price is probably going to be sometime next year.
fhtagn

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #10710 on: November 11, 2021, 12:01:31 AM »

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10711 on: November 11, 2021, 04:07:02 AM »
^ Arrr! DRM bad, warez good!
Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weispOrByZ8
fhtagn

Offline theDUD3

« Reply #10713 on: November 17, 2021, 04:19:33 AM »
^ Well it had in partnership with NETFLIX emblazoned in the report/ad. Hahaha!
Ryzen 7 3700X | MSI B450 Tomahawk Plus | 2x8GB GSkill FlareX DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3800Mhz CL16 | RTX 3060 Ti | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD  + 6TB HDD | 34" Xiaomi Surface 144hz WQHD Monitor | Keychron K2 V2 Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G304 Wireless Gaming Mouse

Online lahar

« Reply #10714 on: November 17, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #10715 on: November 18, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
those 4pin molex power connector sucks, I just fried 2 hard drives because I'm using a molex to sata power cables, and put it on the other side -- I was thinking that it was kinda hard to push the connectors, but didn't really think of it, and magic smoke puffed...

I was just very lucky that from a set of 4drives (2 x raid1 pairs), both pair had a casualty (the best-case scenario when losing 2 out of 4drives), now my setup is limping with 2 degraded pairs

Code: [Select]
md60 : active raid1 sdb2[0]
      486156288 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [U_]
      bitmap: 4/4 pages [16KB], 65536KB chunk

md50 : active raid1 sdc1[1]
      488253440 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]
      bitmap: 2/4 pages [8KB], 65536KB chunk

EDIT: the aftermath!
jeremypv

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #10716 on: November 18, 2021, 10:46:58 AM »
F for your hard drives.

I don't understand how you could invert a molex plug though. I was using a couple of molex to 2 sata splitters to power 6 mixed drives ij my NAS box for a few years without problems but switched to Startech sata 1-4 power splitters when I started buying large (10tb up) externals for shucking to get around the 3.3v pin issue.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline berdugoh

« Reply #10717 on: November 19, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
Red Ribbon requirement going abroad sucks!

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #10718 on: November 20, 2021, 10:40:39 PM »
Pillow Fight Championship

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10719 on: November 21, 2021, 06:30:31 PM »
Trying out SSA's encoding settings.

They've stopped releasing stuff, but turns out they just take SubsPlease's 1080P releases and transcode into HEVC with a couple of custom parameters.
fhtagn