Author Topic: ubuntu 20.04 - why is it that i cannot create new folder or paste files on other  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Sephiroth

^^^I've installed Ubuntu under WSL2 in Windows 10. Ubuntu doesn't come with a GUI as installed from the Microsoft Store but I have been able to install the GUI using X-RDP. There are instructions on the web and also from Youtube.

The remote desktop isn't as fast as a native display but I use it to test some Linux apps.
wait, what? i didn't know about that feature.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
X is a network protocol, there a lot of Windows port of the X server - I'm using vcxsrv now and xming previously (I also supported it financially for a few years)

since X is a network protocol -- built in the 80s -- , it's very efficient, and one of its feature is you can have a thin client that the only purpose is display your GUI and forward the inputs (kb/mouse) to your actual *NIX server

The remote desktop isn't as fast as a native display but I use it to test some Linux apps.
if you configure it, and use a good X server on the windows side, it's actually as fast -- as this is how it /actually/ works when you use an actual Linux Desktop
jeremypv

Offline ris

^ lol run bash as root. just be sure to close it afterwards.

how do you do this actually?  hahaha!

Well, at least after being stuck on 1% desktop share for decades it's now at nearly 2% :lol:

Maybe in time ( a long long time), desktop Linux will get adequate support and more presence.

chromeos even took over mac, although chromeos uses Linux, many don't consider it as a real Linux distro due to a lot of restrictions imposed.

I've been using Linux since 1998 (started with Redhat 5.2), and back then (IMHO), it had a greater chance of success being on the desktop since Windows is not mature enough (and it had a lot, really a lot, of problems), but today, even my dad successfully fixed a windows10 installation (due to a virus, and due to the pandemic I can't really travel to his place), I don't think I can say the same when he was using any Linux distro and got into a problem as simple as writing data to an external drive formatted with NTFS. so it will take a long time, (maybe never) for any GNU/Linux distro to be a mainstream desktop alternative.

i would even consider chromeOS more than ubuntu.  i have a chromebook here and it seems to run better than ubuntu since it functions the same as android.  for printing, i just download the app and print.  i only encountered printing issues with ubuntu
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Sephiroth

back then when smart phones were still in their infancy, i suggested at the Ubuntu forums that Ubuntu take advantage of that and push Ubuntu into mobile. people just said it was impossible/dumb/waste of time. Ubuntu should concentrate on the desktop, they said. well, the past several years had been less than stellar with regards to Ubuntu's desktop presence. should have gone mobile then. maybe they'd be where Android is now.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
Haha I left Ubuntu after they did that Unity bullshit

Gnome forever!
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

Haha I left Ubuntu after they did that Unity bullshit

Gnome forever!
They are back on Gnome, though not the latest just yet. :lol:

I am currently on Fedora, and I wanna switch to Ubuntu when they implement Gnome 40.